RTT as base camp?

rsbmg

Observer
Like you I've been debating this issue at great length. I've been drooling for a flippac. Never heard any negative feedback like that before, that certainly concerns me. Plus I'm not sure I want it on my truck all the time. I believe your idea below is genius! If the design is well executed it could be an easy one-man operation to remove and replace the platform/tent. With this set up you could deploy the tent, in place, on the truck...or deploy off the truck depending on the conditions. For example...if you set up camp late and plan to move on the next morning...and truck deployment would make sense. If you are base-camping, an off-truck deployment would be better. I think I will pursue this idea myself...and bag the flippac idea. I have a good friend that has machined/welded for a living. He is great at design and construction ( http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-trailer-what-do-you-think?highlight=rockdawg ). I bet we can come up with something for my Gen2 Tacoma.

You know I don't want to discourage you from the flipak, many people love them and despite the couple instances where it failed, my buddy loves his. But I just don't want that thing on my truck all the time especially when doing some serious trails.

oliverlove

Adventurer
RSBMG - It sounds like you are more of a Hardcore wheeler than an Overlander. What I mean when I say that, by mouting RTT's and carrying camping gear we sacrifice some of our vehicles abilities. Extra weight, higher center of gravity, etc.

I don't believe you will be happy with the legs on a platform, that you can then drive the truck out from under. Take a look at either a rack that keeps the tent above the bed, so the bed is still open to use, or use an off road teardrop trailer.

Opening a RTT in the rain is just as crappy as trying to open a flippac I would assume. Opening mine in the blowing wind and rain is pretty miserable.

https://www.allprooffroad.com/05tacomatrailarmor/tacomabedracks

rsbmg

Observer
The more I churn this up inside my brain, the more I think a trailer might be the ticket. My GF and I are kinda digging those ALINER trailers, just not so sure how durable they would be to constant offroad abuse. Probably going to slide on over to the trailer section and see what I can find. The RTT/basecamp idea is not completely off the table of course but when its 34 degrees and dumping rain by the gallons with 50 mph winds, a hard side trailer is going to be exactly where I want to be vs any of the available RTT tent options. I KNOW that is where the little lady would want to be haha.

I like the idea of having everthing ready to go as well. When the zombies come, back up hook up and leave, no loading up and when I get to camp unhook and the truck is free to do with as
I please, climb trails, haul wood, help out a kid with a broken dirtbike, or run into town when I discover I didn't pack enough beer:sombrero:

We were thinking about an RV as well, hook the truck up and tow it to the trails but I think in the grand scheme of things that would be a little too limiting. For instance I did the Mojave Road trail with a friend and a RV is certainly not driving that but an offroad towable trailer would for sure.

So many options!

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
what about a pick up truck bed into a trailer, with a camper shell on it, or even a camper shell for the times you need a quick entry and an SUV tent coming off the back for more space/longer duration camping
That way it is still formidable to off road abuse (spring over axle and matching tire size to your truck as well a a 3500# trailer axle with matching bolt pattern, which really isn't expensive), and you can source late 80s/early 90s toyotas for pretty cheap (non running condition or something).
Then just fab up the tongue coming off the truck frame, throw a storage box/water/batteries/kitchenette/whatever in front of the bed to give it some tongue weight.

I don't see how it could be that much heavier than something like the 1/4 ton M101 military trailers. Those things aren't very heavy, but are built pretty stout

the dude

Adventurer
go with the trailer and RTT. Best thing we ever did for a base camp.

IMG_1131.jpg

rsbmg

Observer
I am about 80% sure I don't want to do any kind of tent. Trailer is a definite consideration as is some type of field removable camper. I'm all about hard side protection from the elements with the ability to not have my truck loaded down for offroad use.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I am about 80% sure I don't want to do any kind of tent.......

I have one of the 'lesser expensive' RTT's on an M416, and use it for basecamp all the time.

I can also drag it just about anywhere my Jeeps will go, if need be.

Quick set-up/tear down, even in nasty weather, it's not that bad.

I've camped in heavy rain, freezing temps, high winds, heavy snow, and combinations of all of them.

My RTT has held up great, and is nice and cozy.

A hardside camper with little to no set up would be nice, but to get one that will be durable, is going to cost a few dineros.

I have around $1500 into my set up, and that's including the 12V deep cycle battery and 400 watt inverter.

trailerCJ001.jpg

Granted, I got a really great deal on the M416, but they are out there for under $1000 still.

rsbmg

Observer
I like those set-ups, well honestly I like about every set-up I have seen, It matters most to those that live and camp from them and if people like em thats what its all about. I just can't seem to make up my mind because I'm trying so desperately to find "perfect" for everything which in reality probably doesn't exist. In the meantime I make do with my REI tent and a queensize aerobed. The tent has not leaked and has not blown over but its not the best nights sleep, set-up and breakdown are not fun, thankfully I have always been set-up before the weather kicked in but in those conditions I would have just stayed in the front seat of the truck.

Funny, I was talking to my buddy with the flippack today and I said, if it wasnt for those two trips to the mojave road where it totally sucked I probably would already have something by now and be perfectly happy. But after seeing how bad weather can get when you are not expecting it to I am gunshy about what I buy, especially since no matter what I get its going to be 6-14k Thats a lot of coin to put into something that sucks or is just "ok" when the weather turns.

Appreciate the comments and of course pictures always help!

GGimbert

Adventurer
I found a rusted up 416 type trailer for $200. Put another $100 in shackles, U-bolts, lights, and pintle lunette. The tent has a permanent home and the estra storage is great. I would love to have a top for it to mount the tent to but just have not dedicated the $ to it.

Went from this
05201630.jpg

To this

02021729.jpg

While retaining the crossbars so that I can loosen the 4 turn buckles that hold it to the trailer and reattach it to the truck with the original 4 bolts. 10 minute change over. You may want to consider setting yours up so it goes both ways for maximum versatility.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I vote trailer as well. I am saving the mullah to purchase the RTT to go on the 416 I already have. However the removable RTT is intriguing. I was thinking you could set it up with legs like an ambulance gurney. It could roll to the back of your truck, and as you pushed it in the legs would fold and it would roll right in. The reverse would work getting it out. One person could pull it out and then you could lower it down to the ground to sleep in and be pretty stable. Just my $.02.

Last edited:

Surfy

Adventurer
I also have done a lot of brainstorming arround how to be able to do serious offroad - and to have a good camping solution too.

200_3.jpg

200_4.jpg

We have no kids, no dog - and dont need the 7 Seats of the Land Cruiser. So we plan to build an storage / camping area behind - like showed on the pictures.

Shure - we will have to carry some weight - but the weight is at a low point - and we should be able to take most of the tracks.

I plan to take a 32l Freezer, and an watertank with 80l - so we can build storage for camp kittchen, eating - drinking and clothes.

Unfortunately i dont think that there are space left - for camping equippement like chairs, and we will have to add a Storage-Box on the Roof. This allows too a side awning.

THULE_MBU8306_IJFR-1.jpg

Thule_MBU8068_IJFR.jpg

They are aerodynamic and lightweight - the result is less noise and a better milage - compared to the boxes you see normally in the us and australia.

So we are able to take also some comfort stuff with us, like a set of deck chairs - and not only director chairs or how the heck they are called.

news-20080602-01431593-image1.jpg

Thats our plan - but if we can realize it and the result comes like we want - we dont know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan