RTT for the LJ?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I'm starting to get interested in a roof top tent for the LJ. Most people who have them seem to mount them to a roof rack, but how can I do this with my soft top? What kind of rack should I be looking for?

Layonnn

Adventurer
Get a rack that mounts to the rear and windshield hinges that allows you soft top to still function.
Not sure of any brands but i have seen them many times. I know bajarack just came out with one for the JK.

crawldit

Adventurer
I used to have a Daves Rack. The rack flips back 180 degrees so that you can put up/down your soft top. It looks like you can get them for an Unlimited. It also has legs that drop down so that you can use the rack as a sunshade.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/43_3565/products_id/26895

000_0725.jpg

You probably can't use the flip feature with a RTT on top, but the rear brackets are hinged so you can just tilt the whole thing back enough to access the soft top.

Zeero

Adventurer
Yup you can build your own, but also a slightly easier option for the LJ and in budget would be the Congo Cage. Its just a frame that goes from windshield to rear bumper, you have to buy a rack separately, but if you're mounting an RTT, you don't need the rack....just the frame.

The Congo Cage has one of the HIGHEST payloads both dynamically and static in the industry, for the lowest price. Also with a few "flips" of some pins, the congo cage flips out backwards allowing you access to your ST.

Check it out. You'll love it I'm sure! :sombrero:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Yup you can build your own, but also a slightly easier option for the LJ and in budget would be the Congo Cage. Its just a frame that goes from windshield to rear bumper, you have to buy a rack separately, but if you're mounting an RTT, you don't need the rack....just the frame.

The Congo Cage has one of the HIGHEST payloads both dynamically and static in the industry, for the lowest price. Also with a few "flips" of some pins, the congo cage flips out backwards allowing you access to your ST.

Check it out. You'll love it I'm sure! :sombrero:

I have a Congo Cage on my TJ with a RTT and I'm happy with it. Mostly -- its a heavy beast and mine is rusting after only a couple of years. I bought their cross-bars which are larger diameter (2") than Yakima crossbars but now I've seen regular Yakima crossbars mounted on the same rack I'd probably go that route next time.

I believe Big Daddy has one for sale since his LJ was stolen from under it. :(

As far as quickly flipping off the rack to access the soft top, I just unzip the rear and side windows. Its not that flipping the rack is slow, more that once you have all that stuff on the roof there's little point in removing the whole soft top in the first place.

Cheers,
Graham

Zeero

Adventurer
Graham you gotta good point about flipping the rack when its loaded! :sombrero:

Spoken from experience though, the Congo Cage is SOLID.

JPFreek1

Explorer
I've got a Garvin Wilderness Rack on my TJ and while there are a few design elements that need improvement (particularly a crossmember across the midsection of the rack, as well as a few other small items), I particularly like it because the the mounting points are "smart." The rear has a hinge mount on the rear quarter panel which I have reinforced with Rokmen TJ corner guards, as well as another mounting point that integrates with the body mounts of the vehicle itself. And if you have a soft top, you can also open your roof rack by tilting it backwards though that's a bit difficult with an RTT on top. I do have an RTT though and this rack has done wonderfully with this application.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Smittybilt SRC Roof Rack

How about this Smittybilt SRC Roof Rack? Its rated for 300lb which is more than adequate and mounts to the frame at the back rather than the sheet metal which is a big plus point in my mind. I found this on the Autohome US website and they say they like 'em. $299 from 4wd/4wp doesn't hurt, either.

Smittybilt_SRC_Rack.jpg

The only drawback I can think of is the thumbscrews that hold the crossbars on could easily be removed by a malicious passerby but I doubt it would be too hard to use something less tempting.

Cheers,
Graham

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
How would that work if it's rated at 300 lbs? I weigh 185 myself and the tent has to weigh a fair amount. Then there's the wife...

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
How would that work if it's rated at 300 lbs? I weigh 185 myself and the tent has to weigh a fair amount. Then there's the wife...

Its rated for dynamic weight which is the load that bounces around when you're driving so it doesn't need to include people. The static weight it can handle when you're parked will be significantly higher.

To be honest when I look at my RTT unfolded over the side of a vehicle and supported by a skinny ladder with almost a whole square inch of contact with the ground, the last thing I think about is how strong the rack is. :)

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears