RTT in high winds compared to Hard Side RV??

Does anyone have comments/ thoughts about how well a RTT can work in high winds?

Particularly in Johnson Valley CA.

I want to dump my cab over camper in favor of a RTT.
Not really worried about loosing interior space, or insulation from the cold or rain or snow.

But wind is scaring me.

Maybe 10% of my use will be in the high deserts of southern california.
Anyone familiar knows that every once in a while, the winds can kick up so bad that the dust storms make it impossible to open your eyes without goggles, and regular ground tents are a total joke, no matter how well built for "Everest" or anchored. I dont really now the speed... (60mph?) the kind where its funny to take a picture because you can lean into it.
The wind is not always bad, risk is probably 10% of the time.
It doesnt need to be quiet when the winds kick up, but I need to be safe from the tent collapsing.

Are they significantly more stable than ground tents?
(I pitched a tent in JV once in the 90s, and said never again).

Any thoughts on whether the Tepui vs Autohome architectures are better for wind?
Are there others that are as good or better?
(I want a nice tent, and a large one)

drifter_r6

Observer
In AZ during monsoon season we get wicked dust storms called "Haboobs". Been through a couple, don't know the exact wind speeds, but they felt similar to the vids. As stated it was loud as heck, lasted 30-40 mins and it felt like the RTT was going to fly away with me in it, as the truck was rocking pretty wildly. RTT and I survived intact each time with no wear. Make sure you stake down the overhang platform. Under the right conditions I can see that end folding up with you inside. :Wow1: FYI: Even with it sealed up tight dust still got in through the vents and bottom hinge flaps, dust swirled around with no where to exit, made for a bunch of dirt boogers when all was over with.

Backyard
IMG31902.jpg

Pic from a news source a few years ago
1280px.jpg

Last edited:

yngbuck19

Adventurer
My CVT Mt Mckinley RTT fared very well in 50mph wind in the mountains during EXPO EAST 2015. There were reports of a pop-up camper blowing over on its side during that wind event that night. My CVT 99" awning even stayed up without damage as well. Recieved over 3-5 inches of rain that weekend also.
9a575b53137d1d6cdca758f8b90b73d2.jpg

brentbba

Explorer
My Eezi-Awn Globetrotter survived a hellish wind storm in Anza Borrego that laid waste to my buddies Springbar ground tent!

Thanks guys,
Should I assume that during any significant windstorm the rain fly, little window awnings, and anex all need to be collapsed?
I assume that is easy?

I have looked at about 1/2 the videos on the Tepui site, and so far, they are all about mounting, and RTT lifestyle. Havent found a setup video yet, So i am honestly not sure how they recommend putting it up, and whether the rain fly is separate or what.

surferdude78

Observer
Thanks guys,
Should I assume that during any significant windstorm the rain fly, little window awnings, and anex all need to be collapsed?
I assume that is easy?

I have looked at about 1/2 the videos on the Tepui site, and so far, they are all about mounting, and RTT lifestyle. Havent found a setup video yet, So i am honestly not sure how they recommend putting it up, and whether the rain fly is separate or what.

You'll find many on YouTube. Pretty simple process & the rain fly is attached but can easily be removed like the other brands. Their Sky tent fly comes with clips so its quick to take off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6L4M13_utM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp26MvPVWgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6L4M13_utM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZMv3QeMiIk

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We camped in a wicked windstorm a couple months ago. We had the wind turning every couple of hours and got hit from all directions. The first night we left the awning and annex out. Everything was ankered down very well, but still nerve wrecking... The next day I took everything down and closed all openings on the ARB tent. Taking the fly off would have made a difference in noise for sure, but no way to do so as you can't reach the hight .
At the end everything held up. I would highly recommend earplugs as the wind is very loud up in a roof top tent.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Actually, Frenchie is very modest. He was instrumental in the development of hard-shelled tents.

For example, in high winds, Frenchie noticed that tents suffer from changes in pressure. A gust comes in as a high pressure wave, and the sides of a hard shelled tent get sucked in. After the gust passes the sides will billow out. Sets up a nasty harmonic and Frenchie noticed this. We sent a solution in to Zifer, now AutoHome, and they ran with it. All Autohome tents have hidden one-way valves so this harmonic is minimized. Makes for a much quieter tent and just feels more secure in nasty weather.

There even was a "Frenchie" Columbus Variant, with a bunch of ideas he had. Best tent I ever owned, better than the fancy new one I have now.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I just came back from a trip in the Yukon with my Maggiolina Extreme. I experienced some pretty high winds, 30-40 mph with
blowing snow. It was completely solid! I had the winter cover on it, and was comfortable and not in the least concerned. I wasn't a
big fan of the RTT idea, bought it because I never see them for sale second hand. Glad I did. J

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I was very impressed at how our CVT Mt. Bailey survived 50 mph winds at the Oregon Coast about a month and a half ago. We had sustained 30-35 winds with gusts to 55. We were not in the tent, since this was during the day. We did end up weighting down the ladder end of the tent with our 3.5 gallon waterbrick, and then tying that to the trailer's wheel (we have our RTT on a trailer). Even with the window awnings open, it did amazingly well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12