RTT maintenance – Waterproofing and Fabric repair

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Waterproofing - I have a Mare RTT from Venezuela and its been a great RTT but it is getting to be several years old. Do I need to re-apply some kind of waterproofing to the outer fabric? The roof itself does not need anything because it’s a rubber membrane of some sort but the sides are some type of canvas. It has never gotten wet inside but I don’t want to find out at the wrong time I should of done some type of maintenance.

Repair – I have two of these little holes 1/8” (see picture) and I don’t know how to go about repairing them. Any suggestion or experience?

Attachments

• RTT 005 (Medium).jpg
    RTT 005 (Medium).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 64
  • RTT hole 057.jpg
    RTT hole 057.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 56

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I would reccomend a canvas waterproofing agent like that of which may be found at your local boating store. That is waht I used on my older tant with great results.

Aaron

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I have a Mare too.....!!!!

my seams are pulling apart aswell, I think the whole tent part is too tight, ie under too much tention when open, I'd have to force mine to get to horizontal
so we just sleep on a slope.

I sent it back to the company a week after we first bought it and they just made a repair rather than replacing the fabric

Water proofing any of the slicone spray's will do for the sides and even the roof, mine has pin holes through the inner waterproofing.

Its not cotton, its a man made fiber

Seams......a patch from a tent repair kit or old water proof jacket on the inside and use seam sealer .....

or my favorite aquaseal glue, a very tough rubbery glue, used for watersports repairs...think of soft pliable araldite

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302700925&bmUID=1251109871072

You have a later version than mine, with the bigger windows

any chance you could take some detailed pictures of the windows and rain shield how its joined into the main tent ?

I'm getting the local indian seat guy to recover mine here in Oman and want to improve the ventilation.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have a Mare too.....!!!!

my seams are pulling apart aswell, I think the whole tent part is too tight, ie under too much tention when open, I'd have to force mine to get to horizontal
so we just sleep on a slope.

I sent it back to the company a week after we first bought it and they just made a repair rather than replacing the fabric

Water proofing any of the slicone spray's will do for the sides and even the roof, mine has pin holes through the inner waterproofing.

Its not cotton, its a man made fiber

Seams......a patch from a tent repair kit or old water proof jacket on the inside and use seam sealer .....

or my favorite aquaseal glue, a very tough rubbery glue, used for watersports repairs...think of soft pliable araldite

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302700925&bmUID=1251109871072

You have a later version than mine, with the bigger windows

any chance you could take some detailed pictures of the windows and rain shield how its joined into the main tent ?

I'm getting the local indian seat guy to recover mine here in Oman and want to improve the ventilation.

I like the Mare because there is no wood used, light weight (88lbs/40kg w/mount), and being from Venezuela it could handle the rain. Although I not very happy with the ladder.

I will look for pictures of the window detail if not I will be out in the next few weeks and I will get some.

Aquaseal looks like a good product and its made in the USA:wings: nice to see something still is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan