RTT on tall vehicle

devin86

I am considering a RTT for my family for camping and exploring but I'm not sure if it it feasible I have a 2006 F250 with a topper and it will soon have a 2.5" Carli lift and 37's my concern is the ladders will be to short and I will never find a add on room with sufficient height to reach the ground. Have been looking at CVT primarily but I am open to other options first trip to it would be Moab in May for two weeks with my wife and 2 year old son.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Tepui sells both ladder extensions and annex extensions if I remember correctly. What's the total height of your truck going to be? My set up with the room is only a little over 6 feet off the ground but I wish it were taller to be honest, with no extension the annex floor bunches up and I don't even use an extension. Good luck!

andrewh

/dev/4wd
most come with ladder extensions. I had one for my arb. Surprisingly didnt need one for the columbus, its ladder did just fine

devin86

Currently from the ground to the top off the topper is about 79" with no racks yet on the topper after lift and tires I figure it will be about 83-84". The RTT I have been looking at is the CVT MT McKinley not sure I need that much space would like to keep it confined within the width of the truck when folded as to not catch it on things. Don't really want to spend quite that much on one but buy once cry once I guess. Seems to be about mid 50's during the night in Moab from what Inhear during May so should be able to be fairly comfortable inside I hope.

XTorrey

Observer
CVT tents are quite comfortable and not terribly cold even in freezing temps as long as you have decent sleeping gear. Moab in May for us is usually just zipped open summer bags with a quilted mattress base under a fitted sheet. (I find that queen sheets with deep pockets fit CVT mattresses without a hassle and keep the foam pad clean. The mattress pad isn't necessary but I find it more luxurious.). Speaking from experience with a 2 year old, get the bigger tent. We currently have the smallest (Mt. Bachelor) because we figured it would be a few years before we needed more space and were so wrong. Unless you want a toddler elbow or foot in your face at 2 am, splurge on the extra room. We'll be upgrading to the Mt. Rainier this summer. The height can be a pain in the butt to open and close but is worth the hassle overall. Setup on our lifted Xterra is less than 10 minutes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

surferdude78

Observer
All Tepui tents come standard with a 90" telescoping ladder so you'd not have to worry about using an extension. Check out their Ruggedized line - sounds like their XL will easily suit your needs. We have one and love it.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Yep, thats why i switched from an ARB simpson III to a columbus, it was a pain to close at that height. Pitching a ground tent would have been faster.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
^--- this. Maybe not faster, but less monkeying all over the roof getting the cover on. I just switch to an Airtop. Three latches I can reach from the sliders.

r_vdb

Observer
As a few have mentioned, wrapping it up on the shell/topper is a bit of a pain at that height. I did it when I had a f350. I have mine now on a full size rack so I can climb around it to close shop rather than walk all over the roof/hang off the sliders etc. and I use the rack for tons of things when the tent is removed. With kids the annex is great so an extension will be needed, it's basic.

devin86

Thanks I looking at the Kukenam XL Rugged at this point may construct a rack that sits on the bed rails and goes above the topper to support the weight and to make it easier to close up love all of the feedback here I am trying to get things together would like to explore Moab area for a few weeks and camp remotely every night if available and explore some old mining sites. I have no intentions on entering the actual mines lol.

stingray1300

Explorer
I have a '13 F150, leveled and larger tires. My Tepui sits at about 82". I don't even use the top 2 rungs of my ladder (I keep them Velcro'd together). I have the Gran Sabana, and the annex reaches the ground just fine.

Here's my solution for lifting it up on the topper roof (what results from a welder being bored):

tentcrane3.jpg

I leave the Thule bars and towers on the tent and lower it onto a home made dolly, tilt up on its edge and wheel into the garage. Takes me 15 mins start to finish with -0- straining.

stingray1300

Explorer
Oh, and even though I'm over 6ft tall, I use one of those folding plastic steps to access the tent for setting it up. Cost me $10 and helps me onto the rear tires for high reaches. Tailgate and running boards help me access the rest.

Over time you develop a process that makes it easy.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I bought a little 2 step aluminum ladder at a local hardware. opening and closing the Tepui became a 5-7 minute deal. When you consider that the bedding and whatnot stays in the tent, I think it is faster on average than pitching or stowing a ground tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears