RTT Security, Locking to Bedrack

Tanner

Observer
I tried a quick search but couldn't find anything, maybe it's something most of you don't worry about. Are there any products available out there for locking your RTT to a bed rack, or what have some of you done to secure it so any person with a half inch wrench can't come along and take off with your tent? Also the same thing with securing the rack to the Tacoma cargo rails? Thanks, Tanner

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: heh Heh my TEPUI RTT attachment bolts (8) can't be accessed when the trailer's locked !

007_zps7705eb3b.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

shoredreamer

Observer
8 mounting bolts from the tent to the rack x 5 lock nuts on each bolt = a looong time turning a wrench especially if it's a tight fit. Then locktite on my gutter mount bolts, gives me some piece of mind.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Always mounted mine with U bolts- having the nuts inside the tent.....3 on each bar 12 off nylocks and you have to fully open the tent to get to them...

ZMagic97

Explorer
You could always find a good bolt to padlock ratio: drill a hole through the bolt threads towards the bottom (opposite of the head) and them insert a padlock through the hole.

Reality is, if someone REALLY wants it they will find a way. You could also try using tamper proof torx, which would be easier and cheaper.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I think the PIA factor of my Gobi Stealth and the height of my Jeep are enough of a detractor. Thieves and thugs are looking for lower hanging fruit. I'm more concerned about my winch and Factor55 Pro-link growing legs. I've used one of those locking bolts on the winch, but it really is only a deterrent.

For the RTT, I'd drill a hole or two in the channel base and run a bicycle cable lock through it if you are concerned about it.

Tanner

Observer
Thanks for all the replies, still unsure of what I'll do but I like the idea of running ubolts to the inside so it has to be opened up to remove it. Seems like a big pain to try and remove quickly like that, but like ZMagic97 said the reality is if someone really wants it. They're gonna get it, sadly.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I never worried about security on mine. The way I see it, the tent was a 4'x5'x16" thing weighing 125lbs. It's such a pain in the *** to remove for me that I just figured it wouldn't be worth the effort to a potential thief. And even if they did get it, it's not exactly something you can walk off with.

ExploringNH

Explorer
There are some good security nuts out there, but my tent took so long to undo all of those locknuts in such tight spaces and so high up that I was never concerned with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger