RTT Size? 1.4m vs 1.6m

mrshish

Observer
I'm getting ready to finally get a RTT. Right now I'm leaning toward a Howling Moon Stargazer in either the 1.4m or 1.6m size, of course that may change since Bundugear.com hasn't returned any of my emails or phone calls so they may have fallen off the face of the earth.

The tent will only be for my wife and I and I was thinking about the 1.4m since that's roughly the size of a queen which is what we sleep on at home. Then I thought the cost difference is pretty minor for a bigger tent so maybe that's the way I should go.

Anyone here with more experience have a preference or suggestion?

It's going to be mounted on a 4door Jeep Wrangler if it makes any difference.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Bigger will allow room for a child, plus it would likely resale a bit higher/quicker down the road, seems that the 2 person models take longer to sell on here than the bigger ones.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
You might want to check weights. Bigger is not necessarily better in my opinion.

Two reasons - first off you feel weight up high more, affects handling and it is more difficult to heft the tent onto the roof. Second is while Jeeps are very rugged their total carrying capacity is a little limited. Depending on your model it is between 850 and 1000 pounds recommended by Jeep.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You might want to check weights. Bigger is not necessarily better in my opinion.

Two reasons - first off you feel weight up high more, affects handling and it is more difficult to heft the tent onto the roof. Second is while Jeeps are very rugged their total carrying capacity is a little limited. Depending on your model it is between 850 and 1000 pounds recommended by Jeep.

There is probably a whopping 25-35lb weight difference between the 2.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
There is probably a whopping 25-35lb weight difference between the 2.

You are probably right but I'm always suspicious when weights aren't listed. I don't know much about Howling Moon's new stuff but their older equipment was very well made, rugged but tended to be on the heavy side. My neighbor was Howling Moon's US distributor 15 years ago.

Oh, and a 35 pound difference is huge up on the roof. I spent $2500 more just to save 20 pounds on my roof tent going from fiberglass to carbon fibre.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle