RTT vs Ground Tent to outfit your Expedition Trailer

Zubicon

Adventurer
Currently when I go on multi-day excursions my philosophy is if I can’t fit it in my backpack, I don’t need it, easily said with a backpacking and 21 year military background. Now throw in the wife into the mix who now has decided that she is missing out on all the places that I travel. Her philosophy in a nut shell is that even a 5 star hotel doesn’t have all the accommodations that she would want, surprising coming from also an Army veteran but of 27 years. Thus the search for shelters to go along with either my existing M416 or a trailer that I am considering fabricating.

I started looking at everything that is out there and of course you have the RTT’s and locally in Utah we have Springbar Tents. Note: I currently do not own either one of them so my opinion is somewhat unbiased to a point. So my question is for a healthy debate, other than the RTT’s cool factor (definitely wins out there) what is it’s true advantage over a comparable ground tent because after everything that I’ve looked there are far less advatanges. What am I missing here???

Cost: RTT: ARB Simpson III (Version IIIC) Roof Top Tent is on average $1568.51 a comparable size spring bar tent (Springbar Campsite 3 Tent) is $469.95. For your weight considerations the advantage goes to the Spring Bar at only 48lbs to the RTT 175 lbs and that is considering a Springbar that is twice the floor room of the RTT.

The ease of set up definitive advantage goes to the RTT, especially in foul weather, then again I live in the second driest state in the union. Regarding ease of entrance by far the Spring Bar has the advantage, considering my personal situation would include a 2 year old, an escape artist Siberian Husky who needs to be enclosed at night and a dang newly acquired Paris Hilton dog.

Retain ability of heat advantage to Spring Bar, no matter what or how the RTT is insulated you still have air movement underneath it which will cause a cooling effect greater than a ground tent. As for security I don’t see an advantage over either, besides that security from what? That RTT isn’t going to stop a bear or cougar from getting to you if they want. That’s what they make fully custom M4’s for. lol

Susceptibility to wind by far the Spring bar has the advantage iIn the western deserts of Utah where you continually find yourself with trees no higher than 8’ or so, the small trees will create great wind blocks for the spring bar but not so much for the RTT. Weight distribution when collapsed the Springbar gets packed and thrown in the trailer at a lesser weight and much lower center of gravity thus not raising the COG as a RTT will.

As for replacement parts I’m not sure on the RTT, but a spring bar I make a 10 mile trip and get my part. As for head room the comparison isn’t even remotely close, the spring bar wins at 75” nearly 50% more head room than the RTT, big factor when you are 6’3”.

So what is it that everyone appears to favor the RTT’s as opposed to a ground tent when it comes to outfitting your expedition trailer? What am I missing here?

joesjk

I have gone over this debate in my head for some time now. Cost was the biggest factor for me.

I found a Kodiak Canvas 6 man tent (Springbar knock-off) on craigslist for $220, and will throw that in my off-road trailer.

Good luck,

joe

java

Expedition Leader
for me i think its ease of set up night after night if moving, five mins from park to bed is pretty sweet IMO. now i was given the RTT i have, i couldnt afford one. so that being said i do have a couple ground tents which do still get used, but thats in parks where im away from the car usually.

the rtt is a very good quailty tent, the fabric is just way nicer than most reasonably priced ground tents.

add the chagning room and there is a spot for a porta crib, i have a 3 yo, and the dogs sleep in the truck unless the kid isnt with us in which case they get the changing room, or if im not feeling like putting it on the truck.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good question(s)?

I think a lot of it has to do with the ease of and the speed of deployment for most people? I know many a traditional tent can be set up in minutes, but the set up and tear down of most RTT's really takes the cake. I am going to get one this spring and that is one of the factors. I also like the fact that there is no looking for a good spot to put the tent...it comes with. I also like the fact that you could in a pinch use it basically anywhere. Roadside, trailer lot, rest stop etc. Some of the RTT's like the Maggiolina and others come in their own carrying case, and the quality is excellent, will last for years. I guess that could be said for a tent tent as well?

I do not personally own an RTT but do currently and have owned many tents (most low cost). While setup was easy, they were small 2 person or 4 person...no standing in them. They were OK, and worked as advertised, but not anything to write home about. There are some VERY nice tents on the market, so I should really expand my research before I can the tent idea and drop 1500.00 on an RTT I guess?

Maybe it is the being up high bit? Up away from the snakes and creepy crawlies. If you had an RTT on the roof of your rig and not the trailer you would feel a lot safer than on the tundra. That is, if you are NOT in a windstorm!! lol

:)

Pikeman

Adventurer
RTT- most come with a nice 3-4" foam mattress, can be folded with sleeping bags inside, and elevated above ground to get away from creepy crawlies. No checking and shaking your boots out. As mentioned the main factor is the ease of set-up and ability to move camps daily. That is why they are more popular for expedition where you are camping in a different spot nightly. Now for the wind issue, I have not slept in an RTT yet however I dont think it would blow away as easily as a ground tent in high winds. I do several events a year in the desert where the biggest issue is the winds. I have to bring a bunch of additional wieght in order to make sure my tent is still there when I come off the trail. I have had the wind blowing so hard that my ground tents(both rigid pole and dome compressions pole) have collapsed. I feel that as long as you have stabilizers out the RTT will fair better in the wind. Also at 120-180lbs average and attached to vehicle or trailer they wont be blowing away. I am planning on getting a good ground tent as well as an RTT for my trailer. Ground is for the shorter trips and throw it in back of truck and trailer is for the longer trips.

Zubicon

Adventurer
Good point that the RTT basically can be set up anywhere as where as a ground tent can be limited at times.

bob

Adventurer
I have had both, my wife hates both. Ease would be a ground tent, some just pop up now like the roof top tent. Draw backs for the roof top tent. You guys are not kids anymore, like things a little nicer, more comfortable. The roof top tents I have had are not comfortable, but normally neither are ground tents. My wife's number one complaint on the RTT was climbing up and down the ladder, at night. She literally hated it, she did not like the mattress nor the hinged center bar. I would suggest trying a friends. Security is another issue for women camping. The roof top tent offers slightly more, but bears or mountain lions are not stopped by the best tent by any stretch of the imagination.

I built her a box trailer W/tent, she absolutely hated it. No storage, damed ladder, lousey mattress, no real kitchen, no locking doors. I built a tear drop type and she absolutely loves it.
My wife is not the beoch I make her sound like here. Pretty good sport, but the happier you can keep a female, makes camping a far more enjoyable deal.

Last edited:

Pikeman

Adventurer
Well if you are building a trailer I would highly suggest a Tear drop type because she will be far happier. If you already have a trailer it is a toss up between ground and RTT based on your preferences. If you go ground tent make sure to buy a nice rugged air matress and she will thank you.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Or do what I am doing/did...

This is for her (the family)

d4d91282.jpg

And this is going to be for me, the Jeep and my Son, and maybe my daughter, but she is kinds of young and girly girl...we will see.

69b79452.jpg

087f7f89.jpg

Best of both worlds!

STREGA

Explorer
Having owned both ground tents and RTT's (currently have a Ezi-Awn), 2 things come to mind why I like RTT's over ground tents:

1st is in heavy rain, I stay dry where in a ground tent stuff inside always ends up getting wet, 2nd I find that a RTT stays much cleaner longer than a ground tent.

I guess being up off the ground could be a good thing for critter protection but I never have had a problem with that either way, a big cat or bear won't care one way or another. A grizzly bear is capable of ripping doors off RV's, so a Teardrop is not foolproof, just take him longer to get to you, a second door on a TD might be handy.

I have had my RTT in some fairly high winds and it does just fine, most annoying thing is the flapping of the rainfly, might have to take it off next time if it looks like there will be no rain. I have never gotten cold sleeping in the RTT either, between having a foam mattress and quality bedding it shouldn't be a problem.

The disadvantages of the RTT are quite well known, mainly the cost, weight up high and climbing up/down the dam ladder at night. Although set up is very quick, packing it away does take more time (I can do mine in about 10-12 minutes by myself). A trailer mounted RTT is easier to pack away compared to one on a roof of a vehicle.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I use my RTT, a ground tent, and before I sold it, a platform in the back of the XJ.

I prefer the RTT for a few reasons.

1: Ease of set up I can go from parking the Jeep, to 'In Bed' in under 5 minutes. (add a minute or two if unhooking the M416)

2: The bedding stays inside the RTT- You can close the RTT with sleeping bags, pillows, and even an extra mattress inside.

That leaves room inside the Jeep/trailer for other gear.

3: It's off the ground. - No need to clean rocks/debris from the ground, or find a large level area, to set it up.

4: Works even on rock. - No need to drive in stakes, or find rocks/shrubs/trees to tie the tent off to, if in a very rocky area.

For me, it was comfort that drove my decision. Having a bad back/hips, meant bringing along a cot and sleeping pad/self inflating 'backpacking mattress' or an airbed.

All which take up what little space there is in a Jeep.

Granted, the mattress that came with my RTT isn't super comfy, but there is room inside to leave a self inflating mattress under it.

That makes it very comfortable.

Now, if the missus is coming with........then we're borrowing or renting a camper set up, much like GregB does. :victory:

ETA: Wind- I have used my RTT in Moab many times, it's held up to the wind great!

Best part is, it's off the ground enough, that it didn't fill up with silt/sand like the other guys ground tents did.:snorkel:

Tent design had a lot to with that, I'm sure. Since all their ground tents were seasonal type, and had mesh ceilings under the rain fly. That allowed a lot of silt/sand to be blown in.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Hey Jeff, first off welcome to ExPo. Hope life is treating you well.

You've summed up the RTT conundrum well, while most of the pro's and con's have been covered here nicely, I wrote an article that relates to this exact scenario you may or may not have seen:
Is a Roof Top Tent for me? The RTT Conundrum
(there is actually a slightly newer & updated one that appeared in a recent edition of Tacoma Magazine however it requires a download)

Ease and speed are going to be the #1 factor for most (including me), I can have a RTT setup including mattress, sleeping bags and pillows in well under 5 minutes from the time I pull the park brake. I have a couple of different Springbars I use including a relic 2 man Springbar I use on the Relic Run and they are rock-solid tents with proven history. For me the decision would simply come down to space within the tent. Even the largest RTT's are going to be tight for 3+ people and a dog, the standard sized RTT utilized on trailers is a perfect fit for 2 adults and our 100lb dog or a couple adults and a couple small children, etc. 3 adults is doable but tight, more than that is beyond the levels of comfortable camping.

As far as spare parts, if you end up with an ARB Simpson (II, III, IIIB or IIIC) I have you covered here locally, I stock the covers, straps, bows, ladders, etc and as I keep a couple units in stock at any given time, any other spares are easy to come up with but over the last 5 years its really been a non-issue other than minor things like covers and straps.

Your more than welcome to come check out the tents I have here, I've got the Simpson IIIB on my Tacoma and the Mombasa on my Trail-Trailer that we can pop open easy enough. LMK

Zubicon

Adventurer
Thanks Kurt, I've actually been lurking on here for years. I just got tired of not being able to see some of the trailer photos so I registered finally......to many sites, to many passwords. Could you imagine me trying to get my Husky up a ladder without it taking my arm off. That turkey actually jumped over my seven foot concrete wall the other day while she snatched a bird about 10 feet in the air...watched her do it. Anyway, I think for now I'm going to stick with the bomb proof Springbar until the puppy is out of Aspen and the Granddaughter gets a bit older. Definitely will eventually becoming your way though for the 60 qt ARB.......Ouray/Telluride in Sept if you're interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle