Rubber roof coatings

lilgription

Observer
Getting my thoughts for an upcoming build. Going to make a offroad type teardrop camper. I'm going to build it all out of steel including sheetmetal walls. My big question ( for those who have built or have knowledge pertaining to this) what is a good roof coating to prevent leaks around the seams. I have thought of Line X or EPDM coating or something similar. Give me some good input

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Full rubber roofing sealed down seems to work best,
but I have seen several builders use thick coats of bed liner applied over the edge several inches.

lilgription

Observer
Is there any specific brands that seem to work best on bare sheetmetal or maybe a combination of primer and rubber sealant?

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I would stay away from the sheet rubber. I put it on mine and tore it the first time out. Not designed for what we do it seems.

A full steel teardrop will be quite heavy and you will have to really insulate it do to sweating in cold weather or in AC conditions. How big are you thinking and what gage

lilgription

Observer
I would stay away from the sheet rubber. I put it on mine and tore it the first time out. Not designed for what we do it seems.

A full steel teardrop will be quite heavy and you will have to really insulate it do to sweating in cold weather or in AC conditions. How big are you thinking and what gage
The metal would probably be around 16-18ga. This trailer would be for hunting and fishing, no big expos plans. I just need a camper I can drag to my favorite spots without the fear of it falling apart on me. Size would be 4x8 or a 5x10. Not really made my mind up on that part yet. I do know that the 5' wide sheetmetsl is alot more expensive. I'm figuring the frame and shell would more than likely be close to 800lbs.. Bob please feel free to give me any input.. by the way you're builds are my new heros .lol

Line X is heavy, about 15 pounds per gallon applied. EPDM is probably too soft for branches, Seamed aluminum is probably best . and if you use it roll the edges at least 3 inches ofer for water protection. Jim

jeepjunky

Observer
I built a pop-up camper and used luan wood for the roof. I used rubberized coating on the roof (same stuff you use on basements). I then used Raptor Liner on the wood sides. The rubber coating SEAMED to hold up, but the bed liner didnt stick to the wood. I woud use Line-X if I ever do it again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12