Ruger Trailers Denver

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
This thread is full of good reviews except for one anomaly. Back to pics from Hells Revenge and Top of the World in Moab.

3.JPG

4.JPG

Picked my new trailer up from Steve, a few weeks back.

Did a quick shake down run with the trailer to Steamboat Springs, same week I picked it up.

IMG_0682-L.jpg

Trailer tracked great to and from, with a good snow storm on Rabbit Ears Pass Friday night and emergency stop on I70 coming home.

IMG_0681-L.jpg

We got a bit of snow Friday night but woke up to a really awesome day Saturday. Guess the weather scared most off, cause the campground was empty, until mid day Saturday.

IMG_0683-L.jpg

IMG_0700-L.jpg

Sure is a lot easier to pack up all this stuff with a trailer. Here is my parting shot...

IMG_0693-L.jpg

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Picked my new trailer up from Steve, a few weeks back.

Did a quick shake down run with the trailer to Steamboat Springs, same week I picked it up.

IMG_0682-L.jpg

Trailer tracked great to and from, with a good snow storm on Rabbit Ears Pass Friday night and emergency stop on I70 coming home.

IMG_0681-L.jpg

We got a bit of snow Friday night but woke up to a really awesome day Saturday. Guess the weather scared most off, cause the campground was empty, until mid day Saturday.

IMG_0683-L.jpg

IMG_0700-L.jpg

Sure is a lot easier to pack up all this stuff with a trailer. Here is my parting shot...

IMG_0693-L.jpg

Awesome pics. What propane tank are you using and how did you mount it?

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I see no mention of tire pressure: The short video showing the underbelly and tires rolling over the rocks looked very telling... I also notice two separate tail lighting options, is there advantages to either the innies versus the outties?:wings:
Or is it purely customer choice?

I'm wondering if trailer brakes make sudden stopping in snow/ice conditions a worthwhile addition? Or say, seriously slippery trail conditions? Any thoughts? Opinions? I do like the idea of a hand brake, course an old stump works too...:Wow1:

<<<

Trailerguy

Brakes are preferable and that option is available and encouraged at Ruger Trailers. Can be activated independently of tow vehicle brakes if needed for greater trailer control. Far more pros, main con is cost. Stumps work, wheel chocks work better, hand brakes pricey but work best. Outside tail lights models have 6" wider tail gate. Inside lights or outside are customer choice, no price difference. Video made by FJC magazine guy with no thought of tire air pressure!

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Thank you Trailerguy, as I am looking hard at my overall circumstances. I do have an off-road trailer, an 88 model designed around the old YJ series Jeeps. But; studying the cost to upgrade might not be the best option, I was hoping my words (above) would lighten up the prior atmosphere a wee bit...

Too bad we are not closer, to bad for me I have to reside here in this bubble-wrapped state of mine. And too danged bad I cannot come by the shop with my TrekMaster and merely have you guys fabricate me a locking lid.

Dang-it all...

<<<

Awesome pics. What propane tank are you using and how did you mount it?

That is a Manchester 5lb tank with an AT mount. Bought both from Mario at AT. Fits perfect in the spot I have it located. Just drilled 4 holes in the side of the tub, used stainless hardware and silicone to seal it.

Just returned from a Canyon Lands trip to the Maze District.

Brought my new Ruger trailer along for a serious shake down run. The trail into the Doll House was a bit rougher this year, than I remember from years passed but the trailer performed flawlessly. I could not be happier with this purchase. My buddies following behind could not believe how well the trailer followed my lines/performed, allowed me to do 3 point turns on the Flint trail with ease (several times passed 90 degrees). Our group also drives fairly quick on the trail and the trailer hopped along at times with no issues.

To say I beat the heck out of it on the trail, is an understatement and it is still as perfect as the day I drove it home from Steve's shop.

Couple things I learned:

-Having the longer tongue is key if you are really going to wheel one of these and find you are in tight switchbacks and dips.
-Tie down gear inside is a good idea
-Don't bring a bag of charcoal briquettes in the trailer
-Air down a bit more than your rig tires
-Make sure your line is make-able before you attempt a feature, really tough to navigate backing up and where trailer will end up

I am really, really impressed with this trailer.

DSCF7621-L.jpg
DSCF7657-M.jpg
Flint switchback.jpg
DSCF7659.jpg
DSCF7674.jpg
DSCF7697.jpg
DSCF7698.jpg
DSCF7700.jpg
DSCF7701.jpg
DSCF7702.jpg

Last edited:

frederid

Observer
Chris - it looks like Steve put on a metal latch in addition to the rubber tie-downs on the lid. Can you upload some pictures of that specifically? I asked him to fabricate those latches a couple of months ago because of the RTT pulling the lid of the trailer up while on the trails, and I've got mine sitting in my garage waiting to be put on, but I just haven't had the time. Any photos you can post would be appreciated!

Hey Fred, it is a simple latch that takes a lock. And I forgot to mention that in my what I learned....

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I did not put a lock in it and the rubber tie-downs flexed a bunch and without a lock or something through the latch, it wiggles open and the ties downs take the weight. So I got a ton of dust in the trailer to go along with the self inflicted charcoal dust I created.

My buddies laughed as on the last night I unloaded the trailer completely to clean the ground charcoal out of my new baby.. Steve was going to hook me up with those latches we have for our aftermarket rear bumpers but I said pass... Guess I will be rolling over to Steve's for one of those latches..

I have to say, I was soo happy with the performances of this trailer. I drive fairly aggressively when able on the dirt and this thing hung in there with out any issues. Also, I am not so sure I would want the universal type hitches. I think the pintel set up limited tipping and kept her up right as I be bopped along the trail.

frederid

Observer
Hey Fred, it is a simple latch that takes a lock. And I forgot to mention that in my what I learned....

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I did not put a lock in it and the rubber tie-downs flexed a bunch and without a lock or something through the latch, it wiggles open and the ties downs take the weight. So I got a ton of dust in the trailer to go along with the self inflicted charcoal dust I created.

My buddies laughed as on the last night I unloaded the trailer completely to clean the ground charcoal out of my new baby.. Steve was going to hook me up with those latches we have for our aftermarket rear bumpers but I said pass... Guess I will be rolling over to Steve's for one of those latches..

I have to say, I was soo happy with the performances of this trailer. I drive fairly aggressively when able on the dirt and this thing hung in there with out any issues. Also, I am not so sure I would want the universal type hitches. I think the pintel set up limited tipping and kept her up right as I be bopped along the trail.

Sounds like yours might be different than what he sent me if you can put a lock in yours! Any chance you have some pictures? Please keep us updated on the final resolution because I only want to cut so many more holes in mine! I just added a power system to mine and I had to cut a few holes. I'll post pictures of it soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle