Rugged Guide - Dynamic Rope Video

JamesDowning

Explorer
I found this as overall a good video showing the use of a dynamic strap. The descriptions are good, and it shows how the momentum is transferred between vehicles well. It also shows well how the dynamic strap works better in poor terrain than a static strap/pull.

However, I had a big problem with them using a trailer ball hitch. Despite them having a safety lynch tied around the strap, it still has the potential of allowing the strap to go flying, or worse... shearing off the trailer ball and slinging a pound of steel.

Overall good, but I just didn't like their use of the standard ball hitch.

Anyone else have opinions on the subject?

jcbrandon

Explorer
Good demonstration of the rubber band technique.

Using the tow ball bothers me a bit, as well. One big difference is that European vehicles, as in the video, typically don't use the removable tow balls that we do in the states.

I once used a kinetic strap and this technique to pull a 30,000-pound tractor and semi trailer out of the sand. My recovery vehicle weighed 5,000 pounds.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Towballs are dangerous, definately not a good recovery point.

Kenitic straps are awsome! I don't play in the mud, but have used mine to recover other people. And for snow wheeling, or even getting a truck back on the road in the winter, nothing beats a kenitic strap/rope.

Video was good. Easier to show someone that, than trying to explain to them how it works. (at least for me:snorkel:)

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Definitely agree, not a good idea to use the ball hitch even if it is a permanent one. It just was never designed for this type of use! Otherwise a good demonstration of the two types of tow ropes. :costumed-smiley-007

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I pulled a guy out of the edge of a lake this weekend and he wanted me to strap to his ball. He thought because his new F450 dually was using a flip-down pintle slid in it would be ok. I explained that I'd be happier if I went around the class V hitch instead. He just couldn't believe it would be a problem yanking his heavy rig with that ball.....go figure.
Chas

Sirocco

Explorer
Ed Cobley, what do you expect...

Nato Hitch or Land Rover recovery ring on rear would be better, I am also surprised of this. They are usually rated (Dixon Bate are) 3.5t or 5.0t. There are many better options available here in the UK though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears