Russian off-road vehicles that are in production today.

KMM4x4

Observer
UAZs are easy to get and for alot cheaper.
At us in Russia this car often meets. People buy it because of the low price and cheap spare parts. Though many who goes by UAZ, would buy themselves Land Cruiser, Nissan Patrol and other import SUV if finance allowed.

I had a 95 Niva here in Canada. I loved it, but spares were hard to come by in Nova Scotia. Had a Suzuki dealer in PEI that used to sell them and still had stock. Used to order from them. From an engineering standpoint it was a marvelous vehicle. Quality was OK where you needed it, not so much on the secondary stuff, like cheap interior fit and finish, etc. I still loved it. I had a hard time getting it safety inspected, so I gave it to a buddy. I was so sad. I even painted it. Mine was a Cossack edition. Alloys, sunroof, etc. Every time I started it and it did a bulb check, I saw the rear diff lock light up, and it made me wish I had that option. Still worked awesome off-road, though.

KMM4x4

Observer
I had a 95 Niva here in Canada. I loved it, but spares were hard to come by in Nova Scotia. Had a Suzuki dealer in PEI that used to sell them and still had stock. Used to order from them. From an engineering standpoint it was a marvelous vehicle. Quality was OK where you needed it, not so much on the secondary stuff, like cheap interior fit and finish, etc. I still loved it. I had a hard time getting it safety inspected, so I gave it to a buddy. I was so sad. I even painted it. Mine was a Cossack edition. Alloys, sunroof, etc. Every time I started it and it did a bulb check, I saw the rear diff lock light up, and it made me wish I had that option. Still worked awesome off-road, though.
By the way, concerning quality. The Russian cars of bad quality happen only those that are issued for domestic market. What are issued for export, they on quality it is better. UAZ for example, on quality it is better what are issued for army. For civilians they on quality are much worse.

Dake21

Adventurer
By the way, concerning quality. The Russian cars of bad quality happen only those that are issued for domestic market. What are issued for export, they on quality it is better. UAZ for example, on quality it is better what are issued for army. For civilians they on quality are much worse.

Is it on purpose? That sounds frustrating.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Still in production in outlying areas!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist posting this one......

IMG_2362.jpg

One horse power, great fuel economy.....

Fred
Explorer 1

BOPOH

Explorer
lol i read that story, he was fishing/hunting when something went wrong with the hub and he couldn't use his spare so instead he used a tree to get home

AZBaobab

Observer
Stories of reliability aside, the Kamaz really does look to be a decent (if large) vehicle for that part of the world. The guy has obviously put a TON of work into the thing.
Everything is in Russian; but for folks from this side, it should be pretty obvious what he's showcasing on his vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FxHmikFweo&ebc

Last edited:

Jvdkooij

Observer
Hmmm, when we were in the market for an offroad vehicle I asked my russian partner about Lada Niva and Uaz Patriot (I like it very much), her answer: no no no that are Russian cars, we want a real car :D
So we bought a Montero and still happy with it.

Still my dream is to organize offroad trips in Altai Republic and have 4 or 5 Niva's to give it the real Russian feeling :D

KMM4x4

Observer
Hmmm, when we were in the market for an offroad vehicle I asked my russian partner about Lada Niva and Uaz Patriot (I like it very much), her answer: no no no that are Russian cars, we want a real car :D
So we bought a Montero and still happy with it.

Still my dream is to organize offroad trips in Altai Republic and have 4 or 5 Niva's to give it the real Russian feeling :D
Lada Niva for quality and reliability is not a very good option. As well as the UAZ Patriot. Those machines that sell abroad but the quality is better. Those that go to Russia is much worse.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Is there an auto manufacturer in Russia named USSRam? A couple years ago on the AMC Eagle forum, there was some talk of a company named USSRam that built cars based on the AMC Eagle platform and the model roughly translated to Eagles on Fly. The thread over there died with no confirmation and I'm curious on any confirmation as to whether this is true or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998