rust resistant heat treated cast iron from lodge

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Seems like a solution to a problem that doesnt really exist.

We have 50+ year old cast iron wear, that never rust.

Its as simple as scrubbing them, drying them.

I occasionally apply a bit of oil to them, but not often.

Dry them before stowing and you'll never have any issues, especially if you USE them.

Using them seasons them to the point of needing very little upkeep

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah agree with the other views of course more just seems interesting :) and curious :)

I love my anodized aluminum for camping these days super low stick actually for me easier clean up than cast iron and way lighter
at home my favorite cook item are my woks :) hammered china steel :) but have had them long enough they are jet black and when cooking its like anything well seasoned wipe out maybe use some hot water and bamboo to scrub clean
I still prefer steel pans over cast iron but each has its pros cons :)

Heat treated cast iron is designed for presentation, not really cooking. The food service industry needs a cast iron that can be thrown in the dishwasher. Think about all those steaks, fajitas, and cookie sundaes that are delivered on a cast iron dish. Then consider what a PIA cleaning them properly is. That's how you get dishwasher safe cast iron. Why would want it for camping?

Honu

lost on the mainland
that makes sense :) and good reason

again I have no want in it more just curious :)

Heat treated cast iron is designed for presentation, not really cooking. The food service industry needs a cast iron that can be thrown in the dishwasher. Think about all those steaks, fajitas, and cookie sundaes that are delivered on a cast iron dish. Then consider what a PIA cleaning them properly is. That's how you get dishwasher safe cast iron. Why would want it for camping?

Tazman

Adventurer
Lodge makes great stuff. I have about 100 lbs of it, and that is the problem. One recently showed some rust so I scrubbed it down with a stainless steel scrub pan, coated it with Crisco, baked it in the oven per instructions, and it looks brand new. The key is to dry it well after cleaning and coating lightly each time washed.

Rust resistant would be a plus but certainly not needed.

Honu

lost on the mainland
not related to this I really have to go looking one day for a nice smooth older Griswold piece or two :) for the home :)

camping I am sold 100% on anodized aluminum these days :) in some ways with how long life old pieces have and can be recovered so well does sound like a food service thing like overland chef mentioned :)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The key is to dry it well after cleaning and coating lightly each time washed.

Actually the key is to scrub or scrape it clean.

Do not use soap, and very little water.

Once seasoned (like a BBQ) you never need to even oil them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998