Rustoleum Hammered Spray Paint

I have new CBI sliders coming for my Taco soon (bolt on).:) They are bare steel and I am debating between powder coat and Rustoleum Hammered spray paint. I know with the paint I can do touch ups when ever I need. What is the long term duribilty of the Hammered paint? How does it look say after a year or two? Im sure P/C will look better at first but it looks like hell in the long run and will need do be recoated at some point and time as well (3-4 years). What has been your experience with Rustoleum Hammered Spray Paint? I would like to end up color matching front, rear bumpers, sliders and wheels when all is said and done. Thanks in advance.

keezer37

Explorer
The only thing in a spray can with any degree of durability I've found is truck bed liner. I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner on my rear bumper and tested it against a light post piling. I had almost as much concrete dust on my bumper as the piling had paint on it. And while I'm not going for round two, I'm calling round one even.

It's also good for a bit of traction should you stand on the sliders for any reason.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I can't speak to long-term durability but I painted my new bumper with Hammerite in April and it looks great. The Hammerite supposedly doesn't need primer but I used primer anyway - a nice black primer, then I painted the bumper with about 2 coats afterwards. It looks awesome and everyone I've talked to has said that Hammerite wears like iron. Price is roughly comparably to the Rustoleum hammered. Just my $0.02.

NoPower

I pick up my bolt on CBI sliders Friday for my taco so I am in the same boat. I used Rustoleum Hammered spray paint to paint the wheels on my FJ and it held pretty well. I also had a set of Allpro sliders that I had powdercoated and they started rusting the first year and they never touched the rocks. I am looking into some products called POR15 to maybe paint my sliders. Either way I will post up next week with what I go with.:)

NoPower

I think the POR15 comes in quarts and it can be brushed or sprayed. Reviews I have read says it settles well but I have not used it yet.

kjp1969

Explorer
I used it on my Miata roll bar and it looked great even 5 years later when I sold it. It was garaged, tho. I'd use it on sliders in a heartbeat and plan on a respray every coupla years. Cheap and easy.

FireGuy

Adventurer
I have been using the Rustoleum Hammered Spray Paint on my sliders for several years. It holds up very well to rocks and boulders and really doesn't chip much from pebbles kicked up while driving. I also primered my sliders first.

4xdog

Explorer
I've used POR-15 for years, and for what it is, it's terrific. Lots of options regarding size, and a number of related products are now available as their product line has been extended. (Some of the info above must be a little dated).

Check out their website for details.

Shadow

I went the spray paint route and would do it again. You must must must must prime it first though.

barlowrs

Explorer
All of my armor (bumpers, sliders, skids, etc) are all painted with a base coat of hammered fallowed by normal semi gloss black rustoluium. The hammered is there just to give it a nice texture. At the end of the day, it is still spraypaint, so it will chip, but even powder coat will chip if you use your sliders, the only difference is that you can touch up the spray paint easily...not so much with teh powdercoat.

I can not tell you how it holds up over years becuase I typically re-paint every 3-6 months (I use my armor a lot haha). I would not have done it any other way though!

bloc

POR-15 is amazing stuff but quite pricey, and worst of all.. It is tougher than the can it comes in.

It's so tough that once you open the can, use it, and reseal it.. you stand a good chance of destroying the lid/can getting it back off again. So far I've had to throw away a couple of nearly-full (and expensive) pint cans...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
POR-15 is amazing stuff but quite pricey, and worst of all.. It is tougher than the can it comes in.

It's so tough that once you open the can, use it, and reseal it.. you stand a good chance of destroying the lid/can getting it back off again. So far I've had to throw away a couple of nearly-full (and expensive) pint cans...

True.

I recommend powder coat if at all possible unless you don't mind annual repainting, especially up in the PNW ;)

keezer37

Explorer

Place plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) between the lid and can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears