Rusty floor repair question

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
My rear floor has some surface rust scattered about, mostly light stuff but I'm sure there are a couple spots with pitting, and I'm sure a few (dozen?) screw holes too. I'll grind the holes flat and weld them up with a copper paddle and either my little flux-core box or the MIG if I find some extra time for a trip to the farm. The bare metal will be primed then the rust taken care of (see below) and the whole floor painted at once, maybe (see below). My question is about the surface rust.

My first thought is do it right! Get after the floor with a wire brush and some sandpaper, etc and get all the even questionable spots down to bare, shiny steel and wipe it down then use self-etching primer, scuff the rest of the floor, then get some good hard paint on top of everything. The surface needn't be perfect aesthetically because A) it's a 1989 van and B) it'll be covered by several layers of other stuff. The paint is just to protect the metal from future abrasion and rust.

My second thought is do it quick! Clean the floor (nylon scrub brush, then a pre-paint wipe down) and use a spray-on "rust converter" product followed by some spot-primer then paint just the affected areas.

Option 3 is a mix of the first 2, use the rust-converter to treat rust rather than physically remove the rust but then scuff and paint the whole area.

Considering I've gotta weld up holes, and prime then paint them either way, the total time difference between methods 1 and 2 is maybe 50% (day, maybe 2 vs half day, maybe a day) and the difference between 2 and 3 is about another 50% I'd reckon.

So here's my question, WWYD?:coffee:

Incidentally, my typical paint preference for stuff like this (welding projects, trailers, etc...where durability counts more than a perfect match or finish) is Valspar Tractor & Equipment with their enamel hardener mixed in. VERY tough stuff and not too expensive.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
How long do you intend to keep it? To me there isn't a whole lot of difference time wise between option 1 and 2. A cheap harbor freight 4" grinder with a good wire wheel on it will speed up the cleaning process enough to justify tanking option 2.

So if you intend to keep it, option 1. If you don't, option 3 isn't really a booty fab method so I wouldn't feel bad about passing it on to someone. It's just that option one is going that bit extra for your own long term piece of mind.

But something you didn't mention and a thing that will go a long way to making or breaking the long term durability, is what's going on UNDER the floor. If you weld, or even grind hard enough, you'll burn the paint away on the underside and open that up to corrosion. What you do here is probably even more important than what you're doing inside.

Just a thought.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...But something you didn't mention and a thing that will go a long way to making or breaking the long term durability, is what's going on UNDER the floor. If you weld, or even grind hard enough, you'll burn the paint away on the underside and open that up to corrosion...

Good point! I've got a few projects planned down-below and among them is getting some paint on the frame rails. No rust there yet but the 28 year old paint Ford applied is mostly gone. Depending on where the holes are in the floor, I may have to drop the fuel tank again (just put in a new pump last year) and if that happens, I'll likely paint the whole bottom side of the floor while the tank is out, maybe add some undercoating, then stretch some plastic sheeting to mask the body and spray the frame. I'll be spraying the Valspar stuff mentioned before, thinned with mineral spirits. If I don't get deeply enough involved to spray everything, I'll at least spray some undercoating of some sort in the fenderwells for paint protection and sound deadening.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I've used machinery paint before. Some of that crap is tough, and if you pick the right color you'd never know it wasn't automotive. Did a Jeep in red once and it was stellar.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
POR-15 or similar would put an end to the rust. Follow the prep instructions, and don't get it on your skin... in will remain on that layer of skin till it falls off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears