Sönke's hard-side popup camper

pods8

Explorer
Lower door

I've got an inquiry about for door system. I assume the lower door can open even with the top down? If so how tall is it and do you find it feasible to slip into the camper with the top down or is it a royal pain?

I'm pondering out door thoughts on an overlapping hard wall pop-up camper currently. Being about to reasonably slip into the camper with the top down is important to me thought. I'd likely be able to have ~20" (~500mm) tall lower door in an arrangement like yours.

Any thoughts would be helpful. :coffeedrink:

soenke

Adventurer
Hey pods8 (what a name??)

I also think the door has to give access with the top down.

We wanted to be able to reach anything inside and be able to sleep even with the lift not working.
It saves a time when you just want to fetch something from inside and you don´t have to wait till the roof arises....
Climbing inside with just the door open is no problem and the shape of the cabinrear even gives you shelter when raining.

we dont like the look with the angled rear but its very practicable

Steffi standing inside rising the roof
6087610.jpg

pods8

Explorer
Hey pods8 (what a name??)

I also think the door has to give access with the top down.

We wanted to be able to reach anything inside and be able to sleep even with the lift not working.
It saves a time when you just want to fetch something from inside and you don´t have to wait till the roof arises....
Climbing inside with just the door open is no problem and the shape of the cabinrear even gives you shelter when raining.

we dont like the look with the angled rear but its very practicable

Steffi standing inside rising the roof

Long story sort Pod or Pods is a nickname but both these were taken when I was starting an email back in the day so I added an 8, I've just used on message boards since for years.

What is the vertical height on yours? I'm thinking the slated aspect makes yours a little easier to live with. I'm looking at a side entry door so the wall would be vertical. If you didn't happen to have the slated back which allows a bit of an angled entry how well do you think the door would work out in that case for you?

When the weather clears up around here on of these evenings I'll use some cardboard to block off the upper part of the door on my FWC and see how I like trying to slip into a 20" gap. Probably less than ideal but maybe I'll be surprised, esp. if I duck in but then turn to sit on the ledge and then stand up in the camper...

By the way I actually like the styling of the rear angle on your rig.

soenke

Adventurer
without the slated back (sorry didn´t know the terminus ) it would be much more hassle to get in or even to reach the switch to elevate the roof. Now we just have to bend down once to get under the upper roof and door and stand upright again with the body inside, beeing able to reach most of the strorage or to enter kompletely with one big step....

with the wall vertical you will have to climb in on your knees :elkgrin:

Last edited:

Bogo

Adventurer
Also on side vs. rear entry, I was never able to come up with a decent layout using side entry. The door/entry zone just took up to much storage space. Putting it in the center back allows for dual use as the entry zone is also the main hallway.

pods8

Explorer
Also on side vs. rear entry, I was never able to come up with a decent layout using side entry. The door/entry zone just took up to much storage space. Putting it in the center back allows for dual use as the entry zone is also the main hallway.

Depends what you need I guess, the side entry in my mind for my camper seems more ideal. The space would double as the kitchen standing area and then you could head to the rear dinette or front cab over bed. This is better accommodations for multiple people (ie small family) so people aren't climbing over each other. Building a 1 or 2 person camper changes demands.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'd use AWSOME! I can't believe the craftsmanship and finish from plywood, many boats don't turn out as well! I'm amazed! This thread was a link in a more recent thread and couldn't go back, spent the afternoon reading this one! How many hours went in this rig? I'm afraid I woundln't live long enough to finish a build like this one.....assuming I get another ten years....LOL

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Added to favorites! This is the one I was asking about in the hard sided camper section.... :)

Looks like I am the thread killer here..... :(

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
^^^ This!

I don't think that I've ever been so taken with a vehicle build as I am with this.

The design, materials, craftsmanship, utility, practicality and durability are beautiful.

It's just so right!

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
You guys!

Oh, for crying out loud!

You got me all excited when I saw this thread pop back up - thought there was an update to it!
This might be my favorite build of all time.

Now what am I gonna do *grumble grumble*

Guess I reread it - again! :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears