Sönke's hard-side popup camper

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
1509972.jpg

1509988.jpg

Hello Herr Sönke !

This thread is now more than one year old, but I still find myself reading it over and over and over and also sometimes going over to the MUD site to look at the thread there.

Your camper is such an inspiration for ideas. I am still amazed at how so much was packaged into the cabin. There are so many useful ideas.

I have looked around, but I cannot yet find any source for the pivoting extension that supports the table. I think I have seen something like it somewhere, but I just cannot find it. It is a great idea for making something have several functions. Please, can you point me to where I might find something similar ? I have tried different combinations of terms by google, but it is not working...

By the way, how do you like the large Cooper tires in size 325/80R16, especially compared to the 255/100R16 XZL tires from before ? How are they for noise and handling and do you think they were a good choice for long service ?

Many thanks for all of the information you have shared with everyone here. I never get tired of reading about this great car or seeing photos of it.

Hope you are enjoying your new home, too ! ! !

Frank

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Check out the 80/20 stuff. Perfect for an application like this. You could make a table that rises and lowers plus pivots out to various locations for more table space and to get it out of the way if necessary. I use the stuff for jigs and various applications.

http://www.8020.net/

-Chris

Hello Herr Sönke !

I have looked around, but I cannot yet find any source for the pivoting extension that supports the table. I think I have seen something like it somewhere, but I just cannot find it. It is a great idea for making something have several functions. Please, can you point me to where I might find something similar ? I have tried different combinations of terms by google, but it is not working..

Frank

skysix

Adventurer
Plywood

Was wondering a few things about the plywood...

Baltic Birch? Finnish Birch? Marine grade? Aircraft Plywood (strongest)?

Also - anyone know where I can find the strengths of various thicknesses of high grade structural (aircraft / marine) plywood?

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
You can also get Baltic Birch plywood with a melamine veneer on it in various colors. I like using it for counters/furniture/shop-accessories because it cleans up nicely and is pretty durable without any type of paint or sealer product applied.

My local place, th&h in San Diego, sells baltic birch ply in 5'x5' pieces, is that the same else where?

-Chris

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
You can also get Baltic Birch plywood with a melamine veneer on it in various colors. I like using it for counters/furniture/shop-accessories because it cleans up nicely and is pretty durable without any type of paint or sealer product applied.

My local place, th&h in San Diego, sells baltic birch ply in 5'x5' pieces, is that the same else where?

-Chris

5x5 is the standard dimension. There are a number of companies that will provide custom dimensions for frequently requested sizes there likely no or a small minimum.

For an RV shell marine ply is a good option, water proof of course and typically available in lengths up to 16'.

Marine ply source - http://www.boulterplywood.com/
Other marine panel products.
http://boatdesign.net/Directory/Materials/Fiberglass_and_Resin/Composite_Cores/
http://boatcraft.com.au/composites.html

Jim

soenke

Adventurer
Hey, Frank and all,

thanks for the compliments.

The table
I have looked around, but I cannot yet find any source for the pivoting extension that supports the table

I got it here:
http://www.svb.de/index.php?sid=a86...details&anid=1181&tpl=&lang=1&listtype=search

there are other solutions on the market too, I think this ist the best.
Or did you mean the plywood I need to suport the table when extended to built the bed?

The Cooper:
By the way, how do you like the large Cooper tires in size 325/80R16, especially compared to the 255/100R16 XZL tires from before ? How are they for noise and handling and do you think they were a good choice for long service ?

They did very well so far. Not noisy, better then the XZL when surface is wet, better speed index. But they show quite some wear after about 30.000km. The XZL 255/100 are theoretically better to replace on tour...

The plywood
You can also get Baltic Birch plywood with a melamine veneer on it in various colors
I think our plywood in 12 and 6mm was from Finland, nothing else to get at that time. Its supposed to be waterproof glued together...well we oiled the surface. To get a very hard surface I would rather use Resopal etc then Melamine. The Resopal has to be put on both sides of the panel though in order to keep it straight...
http://www.resopal.de/en/index.html

PS
if any one has an idea to get rid of the table/bed supporting plywood I would be grateful

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Soenke,

Yes, I meant the table's frame that can be moved.

The table

I got it here:
http://www.svb.de/index.php?sid=a86...details&anid=1181&tpl=&lang=1&listtype=search

there are other solutions on the market too, I think this ist the best.
Or did you mean the plywood I need to suport the table when extended to built the bed?

Great ! ! ! Thank you ! I thought maybe it was something from a boat/yacht - just could not remember where I had seen it. I could not find the right combination of words using google. This is a big help. Thanks.

The Cooper:

They did very well so far. Not noisy, better then the XZL when surface is wet, better speed index. But they show quite some wear after about 30.000km. The XZL 255/100 are theoretically better to replace on tour...

I see. Thanks :) Yes, it looked like there was a little wear on them from the photos. We were looking at the XZL as a solution for the weight of the car and also for the tire's diameter for the gearing. Noise is a big concern and I think you mentioned they made for a "tippy" feeling.

I am also liking the Dunlop Maxx Traction (315/75R16 ~34.6" OD), but it is not available in the Cooper's size. The only other tire I could find in the 325/85R16 size is a "Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain."

The plywood

I think our plywood in 12 and 6mm was from Finland, nothing else to get at that time. Its supposed to be waterproof glued together...well we oiled the surface. To get a very hard surface I would rather use Resopal etc then Melamine. The Resopal has to be put on both sides of the panel though in order to keep it straight...
http://www.resopal.de/en/index.html

Thanks. I will have a look at the Resopal site. I did not know about putting it on both sides to keep it straight - that is a very good point to know. I was considering the "Baltic Birch" as it appears to be easily available (?) in the states.

PS
if any one has an idea to get rid of the table/bed supporting plywood I would be grateful

What is the problem with the table/bed supporting plywood, please ? Do you mean the long, vertical support piece put under the table to support the bed ? If that is it, I would be glad to think of a solution.

Thanks, again !

Frank

soenke

Adventurer
yes Peter,

that is the way it works. It´s stored in front of the bed under the window. I would like to reduce the working steps ...but did´t find a simple and solid solution...

soenke

Adventurer
Frank,
I am glad I could help you so easily with the links to SVB ...

and the 325 just drive perfektly by now, we just had some work on the chassis to do...

soenke

Adventurer
The elektrik installations is getting along, all cables and devices reduced to the max, everything is tidy, condensed and easy to reach. I think it´s worth the lost space in the glovebox...

Sorry just a handy-pic

3431768.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle