S-10 v. Ranger

dddonkey

Adventurer
I vote the ranger, I have had both the S-10 and ranger and both were good trucks. When I sold my 1985 Ranger it had 180,000 plus miles and going strong, and mind you I beat the heck out of it in high school. Who says you can't take a 2wd were a 4wd can go, you just need a little more speed.

daly

Find a ZR2 S10 and be done with it. IMO, it was and still is the best factory offered Offroad package, for a pickup truck, ever to be put on the market.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Find a ZR2 S10 and be done with it. IMO, it was and still is the best factory offered Offroad package, for a pickup truck, ever to be put on the market.

Yup. ZR2 or Tacoma. That's about it for the older used minitruck market. The rest is mostly garbage. Sorry.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

Been there, done that - wont' do it again.

Bad gas mileage, no payload, front suspension falls apart on a weekly basis, lockers that don't lock, motor mounts break letting the engine roll over causing the fan to hit the shroud & explode - sending plastic shards into the radiator in the process, seat handles that fall off as soon as you touch them, 3rd door latches that fall apart the first time you drive down a bumpy dirt road, . . .

I could go on, but after 13 warranty repairs in 2.5 years, I decided that it just wasn't worth it. That doesn't count all the non-warranty repairs (ball joints & Idler arms after I lifted it, torn CV boots, etc). It never left me stranded - but I had to rent an awful lot of cars while they kept fixing it.

Getting rid of the factory front suspension (and steering system in the process) would fix a lot of the problems - but at that point, why spend the $$$ for a ZR2 over a base model? That's kind of like buying a Jeep Rubicon, then replacing the axles and t'case - without having the ability to recover your loss by selling the take offs.

As for the original question - I'd go for a Ranger. A decade after I sold my S-10, I still can't get the bad taste out of my mouth. GM lost a customer with that one - I've never been able to look at them the same.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I'd get the Ranger. I had three and they were all bomb proof. 250,000 miles on my first one when I sold it. It was still running strong and only ever require a few minor repairs for expected wear items (clutch, etc.). And as said above Fords twin I-beam IFS is one of the strongest IFS designs ever. Hell, it's still used on their heavy duty full size. I would even mess with the D44 because I liked that suspension so much.

Also, consider that the Explorer and Ranger were pretty much the same vehicle for many, many years and so the aftermarket goodies for the Explorer will likely be applicable to the Ranger

Sent via fat thumb

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Been there, done that - wont' do it again.

Bad gas mileage, no payload, front suspension falls apart on a weekly basis, lockers that don't lock, motor mounts break letting the engine roll over causing the fan to hit the shroud & explode - sending plastic shards into the radiator in the process, seat handles that fall off as soon as you touch them, 3rd door latches that fall apart the first time you drive down a bumpy dirt road, . . .

I could go on, but after 13 warranty repairs in 2.5 years, I decided that it just wasn't worth it. That doesn't count all the non-warranty repairs (ball joints & Idler arms after I lifted it, torn CV boots, etc). It never left me stranded - but I had to rent an awful lot of cars while they kept fixing it.

Getting rid of the factory front suspension (and steering system in the process) would fix a lot of the problems - but at that point, why spend the $$$ for a ZR2 over a base model? That's kind of like buying a Jeep Rubicon, then replacing the axles and t'case - without having the ability to recover your loss by selling the take offs.

As for the original question - I'd go for a Ranger. A decade after I sold my S-10, I still can't get the bad taste out of my mouth. GM lost a customer with that one - I've never been able to look at them the same.

Yeah, +1. Those year Rangers and S10's are right ********** in the middle of Ford/GM "screw the customer" days. They only existed as a cheapo alternative to F150's and import trucks. That was thier market share. Not quality or performance. Niether Ford or GM put any effort into making them a quality product. They both know all too well that sometimes people want something.....less. They knew they could get away selling good cars, and selling bad cars, and still have a decent rep.

summerprophet

Adventurer
I've driven more Rangers than S10s, and all things being equal, I'd buy a Tacoma:elkgrin:

Agreed. I owned a 1989 Ford Ranger, with the 2.9 and it was terrible. The engine was made on an assembly line and replacing things like starters involve pulling the engine mounts and jacking up the motor. Just a terrible terrible motor to work on. Also the Push button 4x4 in those years is complete junk. I honestly had to work on the truck monthly to keep it going.

It is comfortable though, all things considered... and cheap.

Funny working an the motor/transmission/transfer case...... you will find as many mazda and mitsubishi stamps as you will find ford stamps. Its like the truck was put together from leftover parts.

Never owned an S10, but had a roommate with a late 90's model. Had a computer problem that couldn't be repaired. (computer reset after changing cam angle....), finailly traded it in on a tundra after $1000 of dealer efforts to fix.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
.... you will find as many mazda and mitsubishi stamps as you will find ford stamps. Its like the truck was put together from leftover parts.

It was. The Econoline van is also nothing but left over parts.

Ford updated thier Superduty mirrors. What did they do with the leftover old style mirrors? They put them on the Econoline. Same goes for engines (2v modulars), tranmissions (4r100), ETC. ETC. They exhausted leftover Superduty parts on the Vans when they updated thier trucks.

daly

I've never had a problem with either of my old ZR2's they were very reliable and never let me down. Parts break, it doesn't matter what the make of vehicle it is, it's all in how you treat and maintain the vehicle.

Agreed. I owned a 1989 Ford Ranger, with the 2.9 and it was terrible. The engine was made on an assembly line and replacing things like starters involve pulling the engine mounts and jacking up the motor. Just a terrible terrible motor to work on. Also the Push button 4x4 in those years is complete junk. I honestly had to work on the truck monthly to keep it going.
I think your ranger was more new that 1989, I have a 89 high roller and is manual locked hubs, and manual transmission with manual t/case, with the 2.9 motor and yes it lacks of power 145hp worry free for the 2 1/2 year since I got the ranger regular maintenance work nice, I do all the work and is been simple easily, from replacement of suspension, water pump,
www.therangerstation.com

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Parts break, it doesn't matter what the make of vehicle it is, it's all in how you treat and maintain the vehicle.

I used to say that too - then I bought a ZR2. I had more failed parts on that single GM than I have with every other vehicle I've owned in my adult life, combined. I don't know if it was built on a Monday, or a Thursday afternoon before a long weekend - but it was a complete disaster of a truck (when it came to durability).

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I used to say that too - then I bought a ZR2. I had more failed parts on that single GM than I have with every other vehicle I've owned in my adult life, combined. I don't know if it was built on a Monday, or a Thursday afternoon before a long weekend - but it was a complete disaster of a truck (when it came to durability).

That's classic GM. And they've only been worse ever since.

Our Fleet trucks, and especially the vans, don't even come with shocks anymore. You can bounce the bumper on a brand new GM and the whole truck will just sit there and jiggle for about 3 bounces. Going over the expansion joint of a bridge is like riding a giant rocking chair.

My 2012 GMC 3500 Express Van has:
-no shocks
-apparently no working swaybars either
-walleye vision passenger mirror
-fan motor resistor failed allready
-failed alignment
-gas cap broke in half (my hands aint Supermans hands, any co. that can't even make a decent gas cap has no right making cars)
-left side seat foam is flat so I get to lean on the door everywhere I go
-spare tire won't lower when you jack it down. You have to use Voodoo to get it down.
-tailight bulb
-shelfs shook loose and fell down
-cruise control that isn't cruise control
-broken cigarette outlets (2, and not the fuse either, power on the wires, the socket actually failed!)
-the worst transmission I've ever driven in a work truck

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
In your mind, are you building a desert runner, expo vehicle, something for long-distance travel between gas stops? I looked and looked for the right Ranger, but purchased a Ramcharger last year instead.

That aside, I found a few (out of my area) extended cab 4x4 Rangers with dual fuel tanks. My plan was to fit a 302, D44 TTB from a FS Bronco, a small service bed and run some 35" tires. I saw something akin to this in the Las Vegas area many, many years ago. But, this plan never worked out.

I vote Ranger...there are more go-fast goodies in the aftermarket than for the S10. I like S10s that are slammed, pro-street style.

I'd be all over something like this, only set up for the desert as described:
http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/3713722343.html
3F93M53N65Nb5F15Jdd3ub6ce8f0fc93f14e6.jpg
3G73I43N35If5G35E1d3u149364229a7d11c3.jpg

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
12yrs in Rough Rangers Offroad club, Explorer forms, WEROCK (spotter and mechanic for 2 seasons)..owned every year RBV up to 2002..

avoid the 3.0l

the front ujoints in the TTB35 is the same size as a D44..Lockers and such available for them (protoyped the Aussie Locker for the TTB35 years ago)

no point to swap an axle in unless its a D60..a D44 with alloy shafts costs more than a Stock D60 that's stronger..
Double Tranny Cooler..

after that its all FARKLE...do what you want...but they are super capable wheelers...DD and all around trucks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman