"Safari Cab" modular hardtop project

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm designing the internal support structure of the roof for the factory XJ Cherokee rack. I'm doing this for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is the large amount of aftermarket support for that rack. Here's a few shots of an XJ rack in place...

RoofSealer2.jpg

JK-Mg1212

Observer
Wow! I really like this idea. If/when it comes out on a JKU then I am all over it. My biggest complaint about the JK is I don't trust the OE hard top to carry much of a load and I don't like the idea of the noise generator cage/rack solutions. I would sell my OE top in a heart beat for one of these. Nice job and good luck. Heck I might even dump my JK for an LJ if that wes the only way to get the top!:sombrero:

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Yes, I understood that, I was asking if the rear barn door was an acceptable alternative. Apparently it is not :).

Gotcha. Nope, the rear barn door is a neutral point for me. Access to the rear of the LJ with a tire and jerry can carrier on the back is a PITA, no matter how the rear door and window open. That's why I feel that a means of side access to the rear cargo area would be a very nice feature.

I guess I'll work up my own prototype for HT side window tilt conversions . . . :sombrero:

These tops look very nice, and I am sure there is a market for a more affordable version of the OEM tops and the full-on camper top conversions out there.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Gotcha. Nope, the rear barn door is a neutral point for me. Access to the rear of the LJ with a tire and jerry can carrier on the back is a PITA, no matter how the rear door and window open. That's why I feel that a means of side access to the rear cargo area would be a very nice feature.
Thanks, I understand your point.

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Looks good

This looks like a nice alternative to what's on the market now. If the rear barn door option is chosen, will the factory tailgate need to be modified? I'm assuming yes. You mention something similar to the factory half doors and uppers. Maybe use the factory hardware (door pin inserts)? I hate trying to track down odd ball hardware.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This looks like a nice alternative to what's on the market now. If the rear barn door option is chosen, will the factory tailgate need to be modified? I'm assuming yes. You mention something similar to the factory half doors and uppers. Maybe use the factory hardware (door pin inserts)? I hate trying to track down odd ball hardware.

I don't think the factory half-door pins/inserts are sturdy enough to support a fiberglass upper with a glass window, so I've designed a different solution involving a bracket that attaches to the inside of the tailgate. It's a simple screw-on affair that I wouldn't put in the category of "tailgate modifications."

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I am very interested, I would hope the modular design would be able to accommodate a top for my cj6.
View attachment 38690

Unfortunately the number of differences between the CJ-6 and the CJ-7/YJ/TJ models combined with the very small market potential makes it impractical to develop a top for the -6. Unless I had a -6 in my garage, which I don't :(

telwyn

Adventurer
Couldn't help even as a Rover addict but to post how impressed I am by this. Have always liked Jeeps (never owned one though), but this takes it to a whole new level. I can see these selling very well.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I'm designing the internal support structure of the roof for the factory XJ Cherokee rack. I'm doing this for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is the large amount of aftermarket support for that rack. Here's a few shots of an XJ rack in place...

RoofSealer2.jpg

That looks just right. While some folks here on the ExPo might want a heavy duty rack for a RTT, I'd prefer just having a lighter duty rack for occasionally throwing a ladder, canoe or 'yak up on top. Your setup not only fits that bill but looks like it belongs and not something just tacked on or thrown on as an after thought. As for the side windows, screened sliders would be perfect. No need for tip out or windoor style of windows as far as I'm concerned. One complaint my kids have when we're running the hardtop is not being able to open the side windows on the OEM hardtop. Plus we use a sleeping platform in the back of the LJ when it's just two of us out wandering and those sliding windows would be sweet on a stuffy summer night.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That looks just right. While some folks here on the ExPo might want a heavy duty rack for a RTT, I'd prefer just having a lighter duty rack for occasionally throwing a ladder, canoe or 'yak up on top. Your setup not only fits that bill but looks like it belongs and not something just tacked on or thrown on as an after thought. As for the side windows, screened sliders would be perfect. No need for tip out or windoor style of windows as far as I'm concerned. One complaint my kids have when we're running the hardtop is not being able to open the side windows on the OEM hardtop. Plus we use a sleeping platform in the back of the LJ when it's just two of us out wandering and those sliding windows would be sweet on a stuffy summer night.
Thanks. I did design it with the Cherokee rack in mind, I wanted it to look like that was the rack that was supposed to be there. Being a Jeep factory rack too, I think helps with it looking "right". And there's tons of aftermarket stuff you can attach to a Cherokee rack - baskets, kayak racks, ski racks, extension bars, etc., so with the appropriate reinforcement inside the top, the Cherokee rack should meet most people's needs. And if not, they can always build a custom rack with the same track spacing and bolt it on and take advantage of the supporting structure I've designed.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Couldn't help even as a Rover addict but to post how impressed I am by this. Have always liked Jeeps (never owned one though), but this takes it to a whole new level. I can see these selling very well.
Thanks! I always thought the Jeep factory hardtops looked like a blob or an upside-down bathtub, so I tried hard to design something that looks like it was designed with the Jeep as part of an overall vehicle design. I'm pretty happy with what I've come up with, I'm glad people besides me like it too :)

1x1_Speed_Craig

\
Here's how some of the parts of the mold masters go together. If they come to market, the company could mold them like this, or they could mold them in fewer pieces to make manufacturing more efficient, they would have to decide that when (if) they commercialize them.

Assembly1.jpg

Jeff - My $0.02...it would be great if you could buy the complete full top, but also buy an optional 1/2-top (top part only) to have a convertible Full/Half-cab. The parts interchangeability is a very cool feature!

Craig

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff - My $0.02...it would be great if you could buy the complete full top, but also buy an optional 1/2-top (top part only) to have a convertible Full/Half-cab. The parts interchangeability is a very cool feature!

Craig

Hey Craig,
Nice to hear from you over here! Yes, if the company decided to mold all the components as discrete parts, then it would definitely be possible to have sets of parts that assembled into full and half-cabs.

Stay tuned, I'll be finishing up construction on a number of the masters for the sides over the course of this week, and I'll be posting photos of the masters bolted together in various configurations, illustrating your point.
Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12