Safari RRC

TOUGE

I thought I might make a build thread for my 1976 Range Rover Classic. I've owned it for about 4 months now, work has been super busy so have only done a few quick trails and drives to work out what works and what doesn't.

The previous owner pretty much did everything big but it is what I would do to a Classic. It's a purists nightmare, it has a 300tdi from a Disco 1 with about 160,000km on it, R380 gearbox and a LT230 from a Defender. It has aircon, intermittent wipers, Balmoral green paint, modified ARB front bar, mixture of year trim/carpet. Wolf rims and cheap Chinese mud terrains. Body and frame are fairly clean. Swivel hubs and oil pan are marking their territory, there is drive line vibration above 80kph. Springs are way to hard, which makes it good to drive on road as it doesn't have sway bars but not good on dirt. I plan on fixing up the interior, new tyres, new coils and shocks, 23/24 spline axles front and rear and then drive it around Australia. This thing is just fun to drive.

These are some photos as I bought it.

RRC-1.jpgRRC-3.jpgRRC-4.jpgRRC-5.jpgRRC-6.jpgRRC-7.jpg

I also found out my grandpa has owned 3 Land Rovers, a Series 2or2a 109(Grandpa said this was the most unreliable car he had ever owned), a Suffix A Range Rover in Davos white and a Range Rover Suffix D in Bahama Gold. Below are some photos we found of the the Suffix A on Fraser Island and Double Island Point, Queensland(1972-1973), Mum cant find anymore photos of the other Land Rovers.

4B.jpg

Look at all the landys!
6b.JPG
11b.jpg

Silmarillion

Observer
Great looking Rover - Woah! Love those family pics with the Rover clearly a part of the adventure.

That shifter looks pretty high up. Is that uncomfortable after a while?

TOUGE

Beauty!!!

Love the shifter knob ;)

The LT95 gear knob is the best looking Land Rover ever made! I haven't found an aftermarket one for the 5 speed box that looks the same.

Great looking Rover - Woah! Love those family pics with the Rover clearly a part of the adventure.

That shifter looks pretty high up. Is that uncomfortable after a while?

It's actually really comfortable to drive, not to far to reach from the steering wheel.

TOUGE

First project for the RRC was adding sound and heat insulation. It had the original rubber mat for the back that was falling apart and the front end had hardly any. On a longer drives I could feel the heat coming through the transmission tunnel.

The large pile of sound deadening! Kind bought too much but it's always handy to have this sorta thing lying around.
IMG_2068.jpg

A few surprises after pulling the interior out. Great panel beating and painting of the transmission tunnel to fit the R380 and LT230................... I eventually just sprayed it in rust proof black and will deal with it properly later as all the metal fab people I know are stupidly busy right now.
IMG_2072.jpg

Some people shouldn't be allowed to buy welders. Passenger foot well has some questionable rust repair.
IMG_2082.jpg

This made quite a difference to the heat coming through the roof.
IMG_2081.jpg

Floor covered and sides covered in sound deadener with a 2 layer thermal/acoustic foam on top.
IMG_2095.jpg

I found out the front carpet is actually house carpet that someone cut close to the correct shape. The brown carpet is the original carpet which was vacuumed 2x, pressure washed 2x, vacuumed again and there is still sand coming out if it. Must have spent a lot of time around the beach. There is a guy in Aus that makes original fit waterproof carpet sets for the RRC, I will eventually get around to ordering a set.

IMG_2124.jpg

I also put in new door seals for the front doors and rear hatch as well as new bailey channel. Found this in the drivers door, where the rust is it is super hard to get any tools in there to fix it. So I just cleaned it up for now and covered it rust inhibitor.
IMG_2107.jpg

For now the plan is to get it comfortable and not do a show level resto as it will be abused off road on trips, so the rust and dodgy repairs will stay for now as long as they don't compromise safety or comfort. I probably will do a full body off resto in a few years.

Next project is new front brake pads, rotors, wheel bearings and swivel hub seals.

Last edited:

OregonGX

Thanks for posting. Great looking truck. The modified ARB is interesting. I've never seen anyone do that, but a good idea for something different as there are always cheap RRC and Disco ARB's popping up in the US.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
I wouldn't bother swapping axles to 24 spline - the ten spline is just as strong (or just as fragile); just have some vehicle sympathy

I think that is a really nice looking bus. Good engine. Good box. Nice mods

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998