Saguache's High Country Taco Build

Saguache

Adventurer
First, thanks to everyone for all your help getting me to the point where I made a decision to buy this 2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab. Even if you had conflicting advice the information you provided was helpful and as I said in that post I have to love and cherish this truck for 10 years. So hopefully I've chosen correctly.

Now on to bigger and better things. Here's some photos of the truck. Post purchase the only thing I've done to it thus far is change out the tires. It had on a set of nearly new Michelins which were great for highway driving, but sucked as soon as you get into the snow. And since I live in the snow, they pretty much sucked. The taco is now wearing a brand new set of BFG TAs 265/75R16s which look smashing and perform stupendously. Also alignment, but nothing much was off so that's great.

8412351903_bcebe1900c.jpg

8413450928_85b183c428.jpg

Next up on my list of things to do is to start looking for a topper. I am really interested in the AT FlipPac however, the cost of one will delay other projects I'd like to work on. Besides I already own and AutoHome Maggiolina GT (hereafter referred to as MGT) in perfect working order with only a little over a year of use on it. Selling it has proven to be a bit of a pickle too, since every one who calls wants it for nearly nothing and could I please bring it down to them. At this point I think I'm going to go with what I've got and leave the FlipPac for dream time.

Right now I'm looking into a number of options including a soft topper with home fabricated lift for the MGT. I'm weighing the advantages and disadvantages of the soft vs hard question because I'd like to make this decision once. The bed of the truck has to serve a couple of purposes:

• Comfortably hold dogs while underway
  • House a kitchen box
  • Safely hold gear
  • Store adequate food and water for extended boon docking

Update to build page, below I've sort of projectized the whole affair. I'll add photos of the minor projects later in the thread as I accomplish things.

Armor:
(P) Sliders
(P) ARB Front Bumper
(P) ARB Differential Cover
(P) ARB Sliders
(P) Custom Rear Bumper w/Fuel Can Locker
TRD Armor
Safari Snorkel with Tornado Filter

Suspension:
OME 2" Nitrocharger Sport 98-04 Tacoma Heavy Kit

Entertainment/Navigation/Communication:
Kenwood DPX500BT CD receiver
Integrated iPhone
(P) Integrated iPad
4G LTE Mi-Fi Integrated
SPOT Messenger
CoverKing Custom Ballistic Seat Covers
(P) Yeasu HAM Radio

Lights:
(P) ARB Intensity LE Light AR32S (pair)
(P) Rigid Industries 40" E series LED Light Bar
(P) ARB Intensity LE Light AR32F (pair)
MagLite 3D with custom bezel and breaker end-cap

Expedition Gear:
AutoHomeUS Maggiolina Grand Tour
(P) Safari Roof Rack
ARE MX Topper (custom) with Hatch Back Door and left hand side tool box/kitchen
Rhino Rails
(P) Custom interior insulation
(P) Marine Carpeting
(P) Engle MT45 Fridge/Freezer
Rolling Tool Kit
(P) Recover Kit
(P) Auxiliary Fuel Tank
(P) Solar Hot water heater/aux tank
(P) Camp Stove (Snow Peak or Origo)
(P) Custom Boxed kitchen fitted to left hand side topper tool box
(P) 2x NATO Fuel Can (5 gal)
(P) 50 cal Ammo Can Safe (custom)
RTT Ladder
(P) MAX TRAX

Tires:
BFG AT 285/75R16 E

Other:
(P) 12,500lb Winch
(P) Hi-Lift Jack
(P) Shovel
(P) Axe
(P) Saw
(P) Portable toile (the PETT or grover)

Power:
(P) IBS Dual Battery Kit
(P) Dual Odyssey PC-1400 Batteries
(P) 100 Watt Solar - Mounted On RTT

Key: (P) = planned

Last edited:

Skyman85

NEWB
Congrats on the new rig, i just got one in Sept and love it. I went the route of the Softopper. What was the selling point to me was its versatility and the easy of take down. After having a Jeep with a hard top absolutely hated taking off the hardtop. Security would be an issue but my theory is if people really want something they will probably break through the glass of the hard top to get what they want anyways. Look forward to seeing progress on the rig!

Saguache

Adventurer
Congrats on the new rig, i just got one in Sept and love it. I went the route of the Softopper. What was the selling point to me was its versatility and the easy of take down. After having a Jeep with a hard top absolutely hated taking off the hardtop. Security would be an issue but my theory is if people really want something they will probably break through the glass of the hard top to get what they want anyways. Look forward to seeing progress on the rig!

Thanks Skyler,

Yes, that's sort of how I'm looking at it at the moment. My wife has had a soft top however and she's is very adamant that she'd rather the hard shell. I've got a bunch of experience with boat building too, and so after lunch today we were discussing the idea that this may be an option for the topper of our dreams sort of thing. Could be very cool/unique if I do it right.

Looking forward to seeing more work on your Gen 1, got a name yet?

Saguache

Adventurer
Good luck in the hospital.

Thanks a bunch Scott,

I'm doing my best to remain positive about the whole deal (and since I spent most of last year lamenting my situation I now have some make up time). At this point I'm just glad to have a doctor who is interested in getting a few more data points before he comes up with a diagnosis and then turns me back into the pond so to speak. That, and I got my ability to drive back about two weeks ago which has been super liberating.

Skyman85

NEWB
Thanks Skyler,

Yes, that's sort of how I'm looking at it at the moment. My wife has had a soft top however and she's is very adamant that she'd rather the hard shell. I've got a bunch of experience with boat building too, and so after lunch today we were discussing the idea that this may be an option for the topper of our dreams sort of thing. Could be very cool/unique if I do it right.

Looking forward to seeing more work on your Gen 1, got a name yet?

That would be awesome to see a custom built hardtop, definitely lots of options/possibilities if you build it yourself. As for a name still trying to think of something fitting. The JK was Rinosaurus haha

Saguache

Adventurer
I just sent my requirements and thus my commitment to have a topper built for my new-to-me 2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD. I'm going with an ARE MX series topper with a walk-in door option.

ARE MX Topper with liner (in Light Grey/Charcoal)
ARE Walk-In Door with matching liner
Left Hand Side Tool Box
Right Hand Vented Side Win-Door
Sliding Front Window
Rhino Track System
Dome Light
Brake Light

Once this is mounted I'm going to mount an AutoHome Maggiolina Grand Traverse to the topper. It will overhang the cab a bit, but there should be plenty of clearance between the cab and the slightly lifted topper/rail combo.

I'm excited to get this on there as it will improve the ride and appearance and allow me to transport dogs without worry or hair in the cabin.

Last edited:

Saguache

Adventurer
Just learned something new about my truck which you all probably knew. For those with automatic Toyotas this may help you too. My son (2 year old) was in the cab "driving" and tripped the ECT switch. I hadn't really noticed that the switch was on until this morning when I took the two of us to get a cup of coffee. What I had noticed was that my gas mileage had recently fallen off, considerably. At first I just thought it was all the city driving I have recently been doing.

No, actually not. Turns out that the Electronically Controlled Transmission ("ECT PWR" on your dash) actually drops the shift point change on your automatic. Basically to go the same speed you've got to rev the engine just a tad higher. The button is great for lower speeds gained from engine compression, but will eat up fuel if you're just driving around and especially at highway speeds (as much as 2-3 MPG).

I believe that the ECT switch is found on all automatic Tacomas, Tundras and may even be on the T-100. If you own one and want to improve fuel economy, turn your ECT switch off (located far left of the instrument panel on G1 Tacomas).

skrillah

Adventurer
It generally is off unless you hit the button. You should have a dash light that comes on when pushed in. It's Toyota's "tow mode" and does make difference when towing. It's not designed for everyday driving.

Saguache

Adventurer
I'm currently shopping for a replacement stereo deck for my rig. My current plan is to find a Double DIN replacement receiver with Bluetooth/iPhone integration and an AUX/USB jack (front and rear). Right now the current front runner is the Kenwood DPX500BT. I like this deck in particular because I can change the display color to match my dash -- sounds silly, but when driving at night I really hate the distraction of a bright-ish different color in my peripheral vision.

Anyone have any experience with this particular deck? Its gotten good review in a couple of locations, but those folks are all strangers to me.

Saguache

Adventurer
It generally is off unless you hit the button. You should have a dash light that comes on when pushed in. It's Toyota's "tow mode" and does make difference when towing. It's not designed for everyday driving.

Yep, got the light and that's what tipped me off. But that's what happens when you have a two year old as well -- things get pushed.

Skyman85

NEWB
With the double din do you plan on ever getting a CB? If so you may want to get a single din and instally the cb below, would save some space? Just an idea. My brother had a Kenwood dbl din and it worked very well with no issues.

njtacoma

Explorer
Where are you getting the ARE shell from, and have you ordered it yet?

Please take some pictures when you do.

Thanks.

Saguache

Adventurer
With the double din do you plan on ever getting a CB? If so you may want to get a single din and instally the cb below, would save some space? Just an idea. My brother had a Kenwood dbl din and it worked very well with no issues.

When I add a HAM radio it will be in the center console (which I'm already thinking about removing and rebuilding from scratch. I may just go with a 5W handheld because I've always felt that something permanently mounted inside a vehicle isn't really mobile enough to be useful and LOS on 5W is no worse than LOS on 12W. But that's my opinion.

I ordered the double DIN Kenwood last night, its going to be nicer than the stock deck that's in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998