Salvage bike advice?

lowenbrau

Explorer
I tripped over this bike at the salvage auction and I'm wondering if I should bid on it. There just happens to be a set of forks on ebay right now. If the frame is damaged, what are the options? I can fabricate but I imagine it's just a parts rig at that point.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Looks like it's just the forks...but who knows? KLRs are cheap enough to buy one that's never been wrecked....I bet once you got into it, between forks, wheels, and odds/ends you could find a similar bike, that hasn't been in a wreck, for about the same money....

-H-

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Personally, I'd pass. Pre-2008 KLR's were EXACTLY the same each year for something like 10 years(?). Plenty of non-wrecked bikes available cheap. From the photos it looks like that KLR took a pretty serious hit.

I had a highspeed collision on a bike a few years ago:
30690793-M.jpg

I can get Japanese parts for cost so it made sense to fix the bike- or so I thought. After a little research I learned that if the frame is the slightest bit bent, the bike could be a problem maintenance-wise. More importantly, it could be a safety hazard if it decided to speed-wobble at a bad time. It just wasn't worth the risk for a bike that was easily replaced.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Thanks for the comments, everybody. I think I will pass.

I should have bid a bit higher on the diesel Land Cruiser that was there last week. I know something about those :)

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Bruce, if you're interested in a KLR it's probably worth watching craigslist just across the line. These bikes seem to go quite a bit cheaper in the US than here. I've seen lots in the $3K range.

I'd like to give one a go, they seem like a great fun bike for the $$$. My non-existant garage runneth over already, but I bet I could find room for one of those...

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Saw one used today, at the dealer, for $2700 (2004, 11k miles) so there are deals out there that would cost a lot less than rehabbing a wreck.

TxRider

Observer
Yup the only way I'd buy a wreck like that would be for a parts donor if had a bike with a blown engine, even then I wouldn't pay much.

Any bike that may have a bent frame is something to stay away from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78