SAMI's '99 4Runner

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
4RunAmok said:
So he didn't go with the 891's?

Nope, 890's... but the difference between 890 & 891 is 20 lbs/in more load capacity in the 891 (which is relatively small). The 890's are ~3/4" taller coil from the get-go.

BruceTS

Observer
I'm running 891's and will soon add AirLift 1000 air bags as well. They sag too much when I'm loaded up with all my gear.

cruiseroutfit

As Jason build his runner 891's may be the practical choice, thankfully its a cheap swap considering he's got good freinds :D

I get this type of question all the time, "do I buy my suspension for the truck I plan to have in 3 years, or the truck I have today". While obviously each vehicle warrants a different answer, with a coil suspension I generally say buy it for the vehicle in the the next year. Coils are ~$150/pair... used coils sell for ~$75-100/pair. Shocks stay the same in this instance. So to pay $75 when and 45 mins of your time when your needs actually change, is a better plan than dealing with components that are not providing an ideal ride/flex in the meantime. This isn't always the case, leaf springs for example are much more expensive and alot more labor intensive to swap, in that case I recommend people "deal" with the diminished ride until they increase their loads.

sami

Explorer
downsized_0421081737.jpg

BEFORE

100_0664.jpg

AFTER

100_0668.jpg

Getting the fronts all squared away was fun... Thanks again Kurt ;)

100_0669.jpg

100_0667.jpg

BEFORE

100_0555.jpg

AFTER

100_0670.jpg

100_0671.jpg

100_0673.jpg

4RunAmok

Explorer
Please make sure you get the diffrential drop kit (1"), I just went through having to replace BOTH axles because I went a week without getting the drop kit after getting my lift.

Both inner axle boots finally tore open after being over-stressed from the lift without the drop kit. It can easily be installed yourself.

The only trouble I had was I could not put two skid plate bolts back in, they wouldn't reach, but all of the outside bolts worked just fine. Make sure you leave the skid plates together and remove as one item, as one set of bolts simply holds those two pieces together.

Bud Built reports that his skids work with all bolts with a diff drop kit.

cruiseroutfit

4RunAmok said:
Please make sure you get the diffrential drop kit (1"), I just went through having to replace BOTH axles because I went a week without getting the drop kit after getting my lift...

Were they well worn before and the new angle finally made them give up the ghost? While I think the diff drop kit is a good idea, I've got ~150K on my OME equipped rigs (Tacomas ie identical suspension), neither of which has had the diff drop kit. I did put a set of boots on my 96' (@ ~140k) but the boots on my 04' (~60k) are looking fine with the OME installed for almost 10k now.

Terracoma

Adventurer
4RunAmok said:
The only trouble I had was I could not put two skid plate bolts back in, they wouldn't reach, but all of the outside bolts worked just fine.

I have the same problem on my Tacoma... Getting rid of the tin-foil plate and upgrading to something beefy should fix that, though!

:sport_box

4RunAmok

Explorer
cruiseroutfit said:
Were they well worn before and the new angle finally made them give up the ghost? While I think the diff drop kit is a good idea, I've got ~150K on my OME equipped rigs (Tacomas ie identical suspension), neither of which has had the diff drop kit. I did put a set of boots on my 96' (@ ~140k) but the boots on my 04' (~60k) are looking fine with the OME installed for almost 10k now.

They had about 175,000 miles on them :)

MisfitToy

if you dont feel like buying a new plate right now and still want to hook up your skid with all bolts at the bottom of the back plate your gonna have to notch the two C channel supports. I think theirs a write up about it on sonoransteel.com

sami

Explorer
Got the sliders on over the weekend... painted them today with a charcoal color, to match the dark grey of the 4runner.. though i think i might spray a slighty darker charcoal color..

0527081228.jpg

100_1587.jpg

100_1586.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12