Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

haven

Expedition Leader
I saw a pile of Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 boxes at a local Costco (South San Francisco). Price was $169.99. Online, the Costco price is $179. These are WiFi only models. Costco has a 90 day return policy on electronics.

aws140

Observer
Does anyone have experience with using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for GPS for a long distance trip? Specifically using GPS and not AGPS. How about in the backcountry?

I am debating utilizing one for my transcontinental drive from GA to AK, but I fear it not performing as well as a Garmin, especially without cell towers nearby.

Falkon

Adventurer
If you have pre-loaded maps, you wont need cell towers. Purchasable maps for the tabs are just as good as garmin, etc. You may get a better gpa antenna on a dedicated gps device, though I haven't had any signal issues with my note or tab

- Chris

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I have used mine for a month straight for navigation up Canada's Inside Passage by boat. It performed flawlessly and, as others have mentioned, you just cache maps to the SD card and you don't need phone service.

It even works well in tree cover, but I have only done a few such trips with the tab. I should mention that when I first got the tablet I was linking it to my Bluetooth gps receiver thinking it would have better sensitivity than the internal one on the tablet, however I was finding weird errors in my gps tracks. When I started using the tablet's internal gps, I stopped having those problems and now get good data every time.

Last edited:

aws140

Observer
If I use it, I intend to download maps onto SD cards. Any specific sources, preferably free, other than: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Also, how does it do in urban environment? I have read that if you miss a turn it can't recalculate your route. Can anyone verify, or disprove, this information?

Finlay

Triarius
If I use it, I intend to download maps onto SD cards. Any specific sources, preferably free, other than: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Also, how does it do in urban environment? I have read that if you miss a turn it can't recalculate your route. Can anyone verify, or disprove, this information?

I bet that depends on the software you are using - I've never had that problem with CoPilot. But, say, Google maps without an active connection can be sort of stupid.

tibfibber

Observer
I saw a pile of Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 boxes at a local Costco (South San Francisco). Price was $169.99. Online, the Costco price is $179. These are WiFi only models. Costco has a 90 day return policy on electronics.

I took a look at those yesterday and considered it, but at just 8gb (even w/ the SD slot) and a slew of new 7+ tablets coming out in the next 3-4 months, decided to hold off. Might not wait until the new Nexus 7 comes out, but we'll see what the next few months brings. Tempting with it being a Costco puchase, but I have a feeling I'd be bringing it back eventually. Nice to have a larger version of my Galaxy S3 though...

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I guess it doesn't hurt to wait, but I can't possibly imagine what features they could add to the existing tablet...it pretty much has it all--forward and rear facing camera, expandable memory, gps, wifi, bluetooth.......the only thing they could add would be dish-washing capability.

aws140

Observer
Does anyone know if you can use a remote with a Tab 2 7.0? This is to allow setting up the tablet as a camera and utilizing the remote to activate taking the picture.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I just picked up a Zagg Folio for my Samsung Tab 2 10.1 and love it. Bluetooth KB with full QWERTY keys, and apparently a 4-6 month battery life. The case is rugged and the Tab fits nicely. Online reviews say they are so tight they damage the Tab case...I call BS, fits perfectly.

Nice addition for more functionality out of your Tab.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Is anyone that is running a Samsung Tab 2 7.0 and BCN used it in our typical Pacific North West forests and rain? Any issues with the the GPS?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on both the Tab 2 7.0 and the Backcountry navigator just want to make sure before I buy it all its going to work where I normally travel.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Just got back from Costco. The Tab 2 10" is 279 and the 7" is 169.
The tax is based on the presale price. It comes out to just about 300 which is still less than Amazon for us in California. So tempted to pick one of these up. The 10" is pretty big. I can see it being useful for quite a few things though in camp, on the way, and at home/work too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger