Samurai as Daily Driver?

Willy G

Adventurer
I haven't read over all of the posts, but i daily drove my samurai the 15 miles to the Comunity College, for 2 years, and still do the fact that work is now only 3 minutes away. But I have the 16v and 4.9's in the transer case, with lockers front and rear,with 31's, power steering, and yj's, but I still get 23 MPG with it, and I love it, You can moddify the samurai seat to go back farther, by about 5 inches, which really helped with me being 6'3". I actually have two now, the other one is all stock but still getting 27 MPG. And the fact that you can run the living dog pud out of them and they still keep on ticking, The MYSIDE kit is the Harley 44mm carb(from zuksoffroad, myron is a good guy) and really does open it up with a header, the weber is not as much but more low end torque, and the GSXR carbs are EXPENSIVE. My origanal 1.3 was a brute, it would burn a quart of oil every time I filled up the gas tank, decided to do the 16v swap, (It isn't hard and I have diagrams) so I took it out, and ran it up to 7500, and still drove it home. As of now, I just swaped up to SPOA yj's with missing links, from the Calmini S/R kit. I will never look back.
IMG_20120918_164341.jpg

Last edited:

Rockpayne

sammy

I have a 94 Samurai that I DD and I love it, it has the stock bore 1.3 efi and it was a dog, 2" exhaust, Thorley tri Y header and K&N air filter and a full tune up and it is much better, still slow up a long hill :smiley_drive: but not shi:smiley_drive:fting down to second gear any more. I also have the 4.16 trasfer case gears and 30" tires with a SOA lift and a steel roof rack and it has not failed to go were I point it yet! Had a 4runner of the same year and it was fun but this Sammy is a Blast, you will not regret getting one just shop smart and well informed which by now I think you are... I will soon do a 1.6 bottom end swap and probably a little more lift, 32" super swampers and at least a rear ARB locker and upgrade from a 2000# winch with cable to a 5000# with synthetic line and some LED lights. so good luck with the search and have fun with your new Sammy!

tombodad

Adventurer
Haha, going on 2 years, and this thread is still going! STILL considering a samurai (every time I get the cash built up, something else comes up...) There's one locally right now in decent shape for only $2000... tempttinnngggg...... I'm sick of driving my big expensive diesel every day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan