Samurai as Daily Driver?

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
if i could find a clean Sami around here, i'd be all over it for a DD. it baffles the mind how people will spend $10k on a Razr when half the cost will get you a Sami - same dimensions, better off-road performance, and you can actually drive it on the highway...

Yeah but you can drive Razr's much faster and much more aggressive than a Samurai. Everything has it's pro's and con's.

acmercg

I have done both a 1.6 Tracker swap and a VW 1.9l IDI swap. The VW swap is a bolt in and is just as easy as the 1.6 swap. Either one can be done in one weekend. The only advantage to the 1.6 swap is it's quite a bit cheaper. If I ever have the choice to do either one again, I'll take the VW swap over the 1.6 swap any day.

I agree the IDI is less complicated and install is along the lines of the 1600, but the ALH motor is terribily costly, complicated, electrically, and plumbing wise, not that it can't be done, anything can be done, just for 1/3 the cost, you can have the 1600 in.

Just my .02

Joe

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I agree the IDI is less complicated and install is along the lines of the 1600, but the ALH motor is terribily costly, complicated, electrically, and plumbing wise, not that it can't be done, anything can be done, just for 1/3 the cost, you can have the 1600 in.

Just my .02

Joe

Oh, I agree! The TDI would be nice but it is a wiring nightmare! I have read that there is a company making a manual fuel pump for the TDI motor which would take the electronics out of it but the pump alone goes for $2000 I believe. :Wow1:

alexrex20

Explorer
Yeah but you can drive Razr's much faster and much more aggressive than a Samurai. Everything has it's pro's and con's.

A $4k Samurai + $6k in mods (equaling the cost of a Razr, on the conservative side) would disagree. And you wouldn't need a trailer to get it to the park.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
A $4k Samurai + $6k in mods (equaling the cost of a Razr, on the conservative side) would disagree. And you wouldn't need a trailer to get it to the park.

Ummm.....There is no way you can make a Samurai handle and jump like a Razr for that amount. Trust me!

Last edited:

acmercg

Oh, I agree! The TDI would be nice but it is a wiring nightmare! I have read that there is a company making a manual fuel pump for the TDI motor which would take the electronics out of it but the pump alone goes for $2000 I believe. :Wow1:

A new stock un modded IP runs about $1500 for my Jetta....you can mod an earlier tdi(98) pump to go manual...There is actually a few companies out there making them, not worth it IMO...I love my TDI, but only for driving back and forth to work you know?

Already knowing my success with the tracker/sidekick motor, and back then I paid like $500 for a long block out of a rollover with 48k on it. I miss it....

I used to run with a bunch of super well equipped jeepers back in the day, guys with on board air, welders and boxes of spare parts, and I always used to laugh.... because that's the type of gear you needed to wheel a jeep. I used to carry only a Hi lift and a strap... never used it. :smiley_drive:

FreeManDan

Adventurer
if i could find a clean Sami around here, i'd be all over it for a DD. it baffles the mind how people will spend $10k on a Razr when half the cost will get you a Sami - same dimensions, better off-road performance, and you can actually drive it on the highway...

There are 2 samurais for sale in Denton TX for both under 2 grand, one has an electric problem and dies when the engine warms up, the other wont start. I even been told there was a hunter trying to sell one with the GM v6 swapped out in the Greenville area.

HarryT

Adventurer
I got an '88 Samurai December 1, 2010 for $1300. I had to work on it in the previous owner's driveway just to get it home. I put new tires on it the next day. After two days of ownership I had to replace the timing belt. Two weeks later, I had to replace the alternator (GM one wire conversion). Along and along I've been fixing little things like the wipers, heater, cigar lighter, and gauges. I've been driving it everyday. The 2005 Rubicon wonders what happened! The Samurai is lots of fun to drive even though I have to wear a snowmobile suit to stay warm. Originally it was getting 18 mpg, now it's getting 23.7 mpg and hoping for close to thirty (I may have to lie about the mileage like the VW drivers). I modified the Rubicon so much that it's no longer fun to drive (14 mpg, tires won't stay in balance, too high to easily get in and out). I plan on keeping the Samurai unmodified.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer

It depends on what terrain you're planning to drive on, because comparing a Samurai to a RZR is like comparing a Samurai to a Zamboni. In a Samurai, you can hop in, drive to your trail, 'wheel all day, and drive back home. In a RZR, you need to load up your trailer behind your truck, unload it, zoom around all day, and then load everything back up and trailer it back home. That gets expensive to own, insure, and fuel all those vehicles.

The RZR will be faster and more aggressive than a Samurai over small stuff like out in the desert, but you'll beat the tar out of it if you ever attempt something with big obstacles like the Rubicon Trail, which a Samurai will idle through without batting an eyelash. RZRs are fun, but they sure aren't a replacement for a Samurai - they're just another toy to add to the toybox. :bike_rider:

tombodad

Adventurer
Just to try and keep this thread informative, there are alternatives to the 1.6 gas swap and the td swap.

Carb Conversions.

these guys offer a kit to remove the stok carb and intake manifold old bolt up an adapter manifold to use a 44mm Harley-Davidson sidedraft carb. This gives increased performance, no stallin-on-an-angle problems, and increased fuel efficiency.

An alternative is something like this, although it appears he is no longer selling them. (wouldn't be too difficult to fab myself).

One dyno-proven report stated a freshly rebuilt 1.3 at 40 hp at the wheels, with a header and weber carb was 55 hp, and with the 4 GSX carbs it was 76! That's almost twice the power! This guy also states that, with proper and careful tuning, he saw 33 mpg in 50 mph country driving with a small lift and 31" tires. Needless to say, it's very impressive.

This may be a better alternative to a complete swap, depending on the condition of your 1.3, and how fab-savvy you (or your friends) are.

Sabre07

Observer
sammytowed.jpg

This Samurai is being stored at the place I work out. Not a daily driver, but the gym owner added a Sammy Pull/Push to our workout yesterday. This is his girlfriend taking her turn at towing.

lbarcher

Adventurer
Heck, one of my samurais had a bad starter and I could push start it myself
on flat ground.

I doubt I could do the same with our Wrangler.

Sabre07

Observer
It wasn't a huge deal if we were just bump starting it and going to Walmart.:smiley_drive: From a dead stop pulling it twenty meters, catching and pushing it back total of six times with some other exercises before and after made it a touch tougher.:sombrero:

lbarcher

Adventurer
I know what you're saying.
Walmart? We didn't have Walmart up here back then. I would more likely be
headed to college or the local adult beverage vendor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan