Samurai as Daily Driver?

lbarcher

Adventurer
I've owned and daily driven 3 Samurais over the years and driven almost 500,00 km in them combined.
They're slow, cold and noisy. They don't get stuck very easily.
They don't burn much fuel.

Having said that, I'd own another if it weren't for the challenge of finding parts locally.

acmercg

I had an 85 SJ410, (1000CC super slow, great on gas) and an 87 Sami that I did a 1600 conversion running 30's, the 87 was unbelieveably versatile and easily went where jeeps with 33's went, while still knocking down 30 mpg. I was looking for another when my first child was born, and now that #3 is here, I'll be sticking with my ZJ, only for the room.

tombodad

Adventurer
That 87 with the 1.6 is kinda where I'm leaning. a td swap would be awesome but with the price of the engine and the ridiculous cost of diesel, the economics just don't work. the advantage of 5-10 mpg will only save about 75 bucks a year. that's just not worth it. the 1.6, however, I hear great things about. how much did your conversion run you?

Overlandtowater

I used my little samy as a DD, I loved it. I would fill it up drive 1.5 hrs to wheel, 4 wheel all day (hard), and drive it back with out a 2nd thought..... tough, fun , and topless what more can you ask for.:wings:

troy

Adventurer
That 87 with the 1.6 is kinda where I'm leaning. a td swap would be awesome but with the price of the engine and the ridiculous cost of diesel, the economics just don't work. the advantage of 5-10 mpg will only save about 75 bucks a year. that's just not worth it. the 1.6, however, I hear great things about. how much did your conversion run you?

You're a smart man. If I'd of just gone with a gas engine, I'd be driving mine by now, with money in my pocket. Lot more to a good diesel swap than it appears. Cooling being one of them. My LJ20 project is going to be my local DD, probably 30 miles a day, shouldn't see much highway.

fastring

I've owned 4 Samurais, two were daily drivers. My current was my wifes first car, we recently got it back on the road after sitting for a few years. I'm a zuki fan but if I wasnt so attached, a solid axle 4runner would be a better rig, especially for daily driving.

I put the 1.6 VW diesel in our zuki and gets good mpg and is ok for driving power. I daily drive a prius (105 mile commute) and have a 2002 F350 PowerStroke for whenever. I drive the zuki maybe once a week on my commute, because its so fun, but it could be because I had it off the road for so long. Anyhow, I'd DD a zuki but not for 105 mile commute.

acmercg

Aside from the engine, not very much as I remember... A simple motor plate and motor mount, the exhaust and intake bolt up. Hindsight would have me utilize the Tracker/sidekick fuel injection, but I actually had a Weber and a ported and polished intake, so I used that. I later adapted power steering from another tracker which was really nice for slow speed crawling/parrell parking. Rocky Road still makes the kit for under $200. If i figure out how to post a pic here, I have a 15 yr old in progress pic I could scan Gasp! pre digital... :)

I have personally seen the IDI and TDI conversions for the Sami, and although I have a coupla Hundred K of commuter miles in my TDI VW's, I wouldn't put one in a Sami, due to cost and complexity. The 1600 is a near bolt in.

picture.php

Last edited:

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I have personally seen the IDI and TDI conversions for the Sami, and although I have a coupla Hundred K of commuter miles in my TDI VW's, I wouldn't put one in a Sami, due to cost and complexity. The 1600 is a near bolt in.

I have done both a 1.6 Tracker swap and a VW 1.9l IDI swap. The VW swap is a bolt in and is just as easy as the 1.6 swap. Either one can be done in one weekend. The only advantage to the 1.6 swap is it's quite a bit cheaper. If I ever have the choice to do either one again, I'll take the VW swap over the 1.6 swap any day.

tombodad

Adventurer
I have done both a 1.6 Tracker swap and a VW 1.9l IDI swap. The VW swap is a bolt in and is just as easy as the 1.6 swap. Either one can be done in one weekend. The only advantage to the 1.6 swap is it's quite a bit cheaper. If I ever have the choice to do either one again, I'll take the VW swap over the 1.6 swap any day.

Your preference to the IDI over the 1.6 is due primarily to drivability? Am I correct in my figuring that the swap, for pure economics' sake, is not effective? I understand the other added benefits (torque, alternative fuel possibilities, long-term reliability, torque, prestige and clout, torque)

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Your preference to the IDI over the 1.6 is due primarily to drivability? Am I correct in my figuring that the swap, for pure economics' sake, is not effective? I understand the other added benefits (torque, alternative fuel possibilities, long-term reliability, torque, prestige and clout, torque)

I'm not exactly sure what your asking me.

tombodad

Adventurer
I'm not exactly sure what your asking me.

Now that I have had my coffee... Let me rephrase.

Why do you prefer the VW diesel swap over the 1.6 gas? I am assuming it is mostly due to the increased drivability (more torque).

In my calculations, I have found that for solely economic reasons (saving money) the diesel swap does not make sense, as it would only save about 75 dollars a year, which would take many years to add up to the cost of the conversion.

Is this true to your real-life experience as well?

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Oh ok, yeah it has more torque for sure especially for turning larger tires. I also use mine to pull my dirt bikes on a small trailer which it does with ease.
Your $75 per year figure will be different for everyone depending on how much they drive and how they drive. There is no way to put an accurate number on yearly fuel savings.

tombodad

Adventurer
Oh ok, yeah it has more torque for sure especially for turning larger tires. I also use mine to pull my dirt bikes on a small trailer which it does with ease.
Your $75 per year figure will be different for everyone depending on how much they drive and how they drive. There is no way to put an accurate number on yearly fuel savings.

Right, I based that on 7500 miles per year (my likely mileage for something like the samurai), fuel prices of 3/gal unleaded and 3.40 diesel, and mpg figures of 25 and 35. Generalizations of course, but assuming it would cost, total, 750 for the gas swap and 1750 for the VW diesel, it would take 13 years to account for the extra $1000, not including inflation and fuel price fluctuations.

Of course, economics is not the only reason to do a diesel swap. You get more torque, higher towing and climbing capacities, multi-fuel capability, and increased long-term reliability.

Just trying to iron out the benefits here, as it seems many are apot to jump to "diesel swap saves money," without really thinking about the whole picture. It does not, in fact, save money--or is a wash, depending on which figures you calculate in.

alexrex20

Explorer
if i could find a clean Sami around here, i'd be all over it for a DD. it baffles the mind how people will spend $10k on a Razr when half the cost will get you a Sami - same dimensions, better off-road performance, and you can actually drive it on the highway...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears