Samurai as Daily Driver?

tombodad

Adventurer
I've owned 7 Samurai's and out of the ones your looking at, I'd go with the white tin top. I wouldn't touch the first one with the high miles and mods.
Like someone else said, don't expect great fuel mileage out of Samurai's. The best I've ever seen out of any of mine (not counting the diesel one) was 25 mpg. Most of the time they got 20 mpg.

One of mine was a 94 with the EFI and 16k origional miles. The do have a tiny bit more power than the carbed version but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a nice older carbed model.

As far as VW diesels in the US, we also got the 1.6 turbo diesel. The 1.9TD can be had easily here in the US even though we didn't get them in any cars. I bought my 1.9TD as a complete crate engine from the local VW dealer. I see them on eBay all the time as well.

Even at 25 mpg though, that's considerably better than my truck I currently use for my DD. Plus, it gives me a spare vehicle, and one that is no longer depreciating much (in dollars, not percentage), so it doesn't hurt to pile up miles.
Long run plan will be a tdi swap. Once I get one I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal. Are the 1.9's (us version) really that much more difficult than a 1.6?

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Geoff -
Nice looking samurai! What size tires are those? Did you do any engine swap/modifications to retain drivability with the heavy rubber? Any more pics?

The tires are 31x12.5-R15 Super Swamper SSRs on 15x10 wheels. The engine is all stock except for a Thorley header and custom exhaust. Gearing is perfectly compensated for with the Trail Tough 6.4:1 t-case gears; ring & pinion gears are stock, but I have a Lock Right in the rear diff. Lift consists of 4" Rocky Road Outfitters budget kit (Deaver springs) and a 2" body lift. This helps keeps the center of gravity nice and low for extreme off-camber stability and good handling on-road. I have custom Sky Mfg. crossover steering so the drag link is perfectly parallel to the ground. This Sami rides and drives better than stock, yet it's built up enough to make the Rubicon Trail a cakewalk.

I have a million photos, but here are a couple videos that might give you a better idea how well it works:

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Long run plan will be a tdi swap. Once I get one I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal. Are the 1.9's (us version) really that much more difficult than a 1.6?

The VW motors used in the swap are not TDI's, they are IDI's. The TDI's have an exteremely complicated electronics system. There is a way to get around the electronics problem by switching to a custom built manual injection pump but from what I read these pumps are around $2000.
Your much better off getting a 1.9 IDI from eBay or dealer. They install exactly the same as the 1.6, the difference is all internal.

tombodad

Adventurer
The VW motors used in the swap are not TDI's, they are IDI's. The TDI's have an exteremely complicated electronics system. There is a way to get around the electronics problem by switching to a custom built manual injection pump but from what I read these pumps are around $2000.
Your much better off getting a 1.9 IDI from eBay or dealer. They install exactly the same as the 1.6, the difference is all internal.

Right, I knew that. Guess my fingers are faster than my brain, :smiley_drive:

Is it best to go for a donor vehicle, or look for engine only? Seems like a vehicle would be more feasible financially, you get everything you need, and have extras to part out on ebay or w/e.

Or do you need to use multiple parts from multiple vehicles? i.e. a manifold from here, bracket from there, etc.

tombodad

Adventurer
The tires are 31x12.5-R15 Super Swamper SSRs on 15x10 wheels. The engine is all stock except for a Thorley header and custom exhaust. Gearing is perfectly compensated for with the Trail Tough 6.4:1 t-case gears; ring & pinion gears are stock, but I have a Lock Right in the rear diff. Lift consists of 4" Rocky Road Outfitters budget kit (Deaver springs) and a 2" body lift. This helps keeps the center of gravity nice and low for extreme off-camber stability and good handling on-road. I have custom Sky Mfg. crossover steering so the drag link is perfectly parallel to the ground. This Sami rides and drives better than stock, yet it's built up enough to make the Rubicon Trail a cakewalk.

I have a million photos, but here are a couple videos that might give you a better idea how well it works:

Nice!
That's exactly what I'm going for, although maybe a bit shorter, on 30s. I don't need the extreme articulation, as this is more a backwoods explorer/mini-expo than a crawler. Plus, the lower the COG the better in a tinfoil deathtrap :sombrero:

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Right, I knew that. Guess my fingers are faster than my brain, :smiley_drive:

Is it best to go for a donor vehicle, or look for engine only? Seems like a vehicle would be more feasible financially, you get everything you need, and have extras to part out on ebay or w/e.

Or do you need to use multiple parts from multiple vehicles? i.e. a manifold from here, bracket from there, etc.

I didn't get the vehicle and wouldn't if I did the swap again. They are pretty hard to find in the first place and when you do they have a ton of miles. I would buy a low mileage motor from Acme Adapters, eBay or an importer.
All the parts you need for the swap can be bought from Acme Adapters (this is the route that I went). You do not need parts from multiple vehicles like Rocky Roads site says, that's complete horse do do.

Here is the 1.9 in my Samurai, looks like it was there from the factory...

73038971_qwiWk-M.jpg

73039000_jLqQp-M.jpg

tombodad

Adventurer
And you did the labor yourself, I am assuming? That's not bad, considering a new engine. Are there necessary reinforcements to the rest of the powertrain? I', assuming a stronger clutch at the least. Does the Sammy trans hold up to the threefold (or more) torque?

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Yes, I did all the work myself. Make sure your transmission is in good shape, I recommoned a full rebuild. The older model tranny's with the taller 5th gear is highly recommended unless your doing the NA motor. I did use a PetroWorks heavy duty clutch to be on the safe side. Other than that it's all stock.

zukrider

Explorer
here is mine

DSCN1003.jpg

33-1050-15, 15x8 2.5 BS wheels, all stock axles, sprung over, sky stage one crossover steering, trail tough 4.9 tcase, ZOR snatch tcase mount.

Chris

Adventurer
Anyone know where he has this posted for sale?

I sent a PM but no response yet.

Thanks

CJL

This Samurai has been one of my daily drivers up until recently when I bought another Sidekick:

P1020630.jpg

I've been daily driving offroad-modified Samurai's since 1994. This is my 3rd one and it won't be my last. Unfortunately, I have it for sale currently, but I may reconsider because it's just such a pleasure to drive - especially on a nice warm summer day with the top off and the doors off and the radio playing some good tunes.

Samurai's are seriously THE most fun for the buck of any vehicle you can buy - and it could be argued they're THE most fun vehicle period!!!

My Morgan Plus 8 and I take exception with that statement! :D

:iagree: There you go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears