Sand Ladders???

jh504

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:
I think you'll find that these will bend as well without some serious lengthwise bracing. The waffle boards actually can be use for bridging, and have been used that way for years. Very popular for that over in England. They're also lightweight and, in this case, pretty cheap.

I must have misunderstood you. When I said waffle board I was refering to the plastic grid you were talking about.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
madizell said:
...Dimple die stamping would work, of course, but getting someone to dimple die cut 1/8th inch steel is going to be a) problematic, and b) expensive, which tends to defeat the purpose of buying something inexpensive to start with.

Agreed a 2" dimple die is ~$150, and you need a shop press or iron worker. 1/8" isn't a big issue though, even the cheaper dimple die sets will handle 1/8" on a cheap HF press.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Alaska Mike said:
I think you'll find that these will bend as well without some serious lengthwise bracing. The waffle boards actually can be use for bridging, and have been used that way for years. Very popular for that over in England. They're also lightweight and, in this case, pretty cheap.

img2482643cd9173e8055.jpg

from www.terra-trax.com

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
jh504 said:
I found this write up today as I was thinking of different options for modifying the landing mats. Anyone ever used these?

http://www.worldoffroad.com/eqpt/nowinch.asp
I played around with a similar design after seeing what Mark A. Smith used for the Expedition de las Americas. I eventually abandoned the idea, because the fabrication was prohibitively expensive compared to what was out there and the money was better spent elsewhere. As my recovery kit grew and I primarily wheeled in areas where a winch was of more utility, I pretty much forgot about sand and bridging ladders.

Now that I know there is a source (or two) of relatively inexpensive waffle mats, I will likely pick up a set and use them with my Rover. I also want a PullPal and whatever else will allow my small rig to traverse terrain where the big kids play. It may take more effort, but I'll get there.

jh504

Explorer
I drew up some modifications to my landing mats today on AutoCAD. I will post them up for everyone to see. It will involve cutting 2" dia holes in the flat to lighten them up, then adding 2 peices of 1.75" angle long ways on either side and .75" angle mounted across, with the 90 up, every foot. Hopefully that will provide all the strength I need as well as plenty of traction.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Very clean design, although the edges might be a bit high. Think about what a spinning tire would do on that edge. I would also look at adding a couple crossmembers so the tire doesn't get stuck between them with no traction.

Have you run a guesstimate on weight yet?

jh504

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:
Very clean design, although the edges might be a bit high. Think about what a spinning tire would do on that edge. I would also look at adding a couple crossmembers so the tire doesn't get stuck between them with no traction.

Have you run a guesstimate on weight yet?

The edges are a little high. I am going to try to keep them as low as possible, just for that reason, but as high as need be to give it bridging strength. The sides will be made of either a 1/4" or 3/16" angle and the edges will be rounded. I think it will serve well to help keep the tire from sliding off the mat if it does spin.
I figured after removing much of the metal from cutting it down to 48"X14" and also the 2" holes, percentage wise, it should take me down to around 30lbs or so. Then I will be adding the angle which will probably put me back up around the 40-50lb range. I can deal with 50lbs, especially when I am in a situation where it is a necessity. Also if I do my fabrication right these things will be durable, and hopefully they will last me a long time.
Thanks for the tips and constructive criticism.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
cruiseroutfit said:
They are in the spreadsheet Wil ;)

PS, looks like we missed you Thursday night, I was hoping to finally get to meet you!

Yeah had to make it back for baby duty! I would have loved to met ya finally!

coldwarkid

Observer
flyingwil said:
There is also the Bushranger sand tracks, called the X-trax:

large_589_sandtrack_1.jpg

Xtrax.jpg

Those look like a great alternative to the space challenged jeepers such as myself. As aluminum sand ladders are a little impractical for my limited travel time these days, hint, hint, 9 month old.... It looks like a sound design. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I used an old industrial floor mat with a similar design for a couple trips in Georgia, cut down to size, but again I stopped carrying it because it took up more space than it was worth. I rarely do sand, and bridging capability/rigidity is more important to me. Geez, I think I've spent far more on "cheap" traction aids than I would have on the real stuff.

The thing I like about the waffle boards is that they can be used for all sorts of things once you get to camp, like a table or a shower floor. Cleanup is simple (I'm in mud country) and there are no moving parts to deal with.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Those sand tracks look neat especially for sand/ mud..

mmmm a length of plastic rebar a drill a angle grinder and some 6mm rope.....

One thing with the steel ones....remember usually in deep sand etc once you get going you keep going...

ie you tied the matts to the back of the truck before you raced off....I'd definately prefer some plastic ones following me than two steel landing matts..

Obviously if its a mud hole extraction then walking back 10 ft won't matter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears