Sandals this Summer

htchmn

Observer
thanks for giving some alternatives :) so would love to ask a question as a buyer ? what in that keen open style fits super wide feet well ?

thanks again

I had some tevas in past but like the toe box of keen over open toe
you maybe out of luck with wide feet and Keens since i think all they make are med width, Chacos on the other hand does make their sandles in a wide width.

TEVA! (Full disclosure - I'm sponsored by Teva, but only because I approached them after wearing their sandals since I was a toddler and having my current pair for 11 years).

They got everywhere, pack to nothing. Lighter than Chacos, more durable than Keens. I know I'll be wearing them forever.

silver60th

Another vote for Chacos. I have done pretty much everything in them except bouldering, and they have held up pretty well. Even bought the girlfriend a pair.

Plus, you get the "awesome" Chaco tan :D

(oh and first post!)

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I was a big Keen fan until my last pair of Arroyos started to fall apart on me after just a couple of hikes. I still have my original pair of Keen Newports that are now 7 years old and still going strong. I personally enjoy the clown shoe look of the Keens and as someone who stubs their toe a lot I like having that protection....but I'm leery to invest in another pair after my Arroyo experience.

Before that I had some Teva's which I did like as well...been thinking about picking up another pair actually or giving the Chaco's a try.

Honestly these days, I'm in flips 90% of my time anyway and Rainbows are the way to go there.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I have super wide feet and been looking into chacos. I just got done looking at sandals in the local mall and was pretty disappointed as I have very wide feet and the only pair that were comfy also had a memory foam foot bed so water crossings would have been bad.

ventura911

Adventurer
Just spent a week with the family at Disneyworld. With all the walking, heat, humidity, and rain, the Chacos were great. Strongly recommended!

SkiMtb

IMHO - Go Teva!

Teva is my suggestion - For what your looking at in the Keen Newport. Looks like you want a full wrap w/some protection...me too.

I understand the lov for the thong thing, but hardly a real sandal/shoe, i cant even ever imagine using them for anything but summer non-active cooling :ylsmoke: Toe hits not me thing, however, give me a Princess in a thong anyday, and Ill carry her.

So, 15 years later, I tossed my old Teva's open toe velcro wrap (velcro burnout) and went looking. Believe it or not @ bigbox USA; Sports Authority, and they had a full selection including Keens, Teva, and many others & I tried them All.

I liked the looks of that Keen, you like, but no way as well built as the Teva Forebay.

I ended up with the Teva Forebay for $69.99, (that's what the box says anyway, but after trying to put a link up fer ya, I could only find the Dozer iii, which is basically the same shoe.)

Bottom Line: Love em in everyway ! They have great support, toe protection, traction & all day almost anywhere comfort & lite too! Only time will tell, but hope they last, they sure look & feel it.

So: check out the Teva Forebay, if you can find em, or the Dozer iii which actually looks exactly like mine. www.Teva.com

ps. I also picked up a pair of HI-TECH Owaka WWW.HI-TEC.COM for super warm weather kicking (Single stitched - no way will hold up, but I like em) ($39.00)

Have fun !

Toyotero

Explorer
Anther vote for Chacos.

I had two pairs or Tevas before my Chacos... the biggest difference (besides price) between them is weight, the Tevas were much lighter.
I think that the Chacos have more support and overall are more comfortable.

I think I paid about $20 for the Tevas, and $50 for the Chacos (both sale prices, typically Tevas = ~$30=35 I think, and Chacos ~$100)

I also have a pair of Reef 'flip flop' sandals... incredibly comfortable, but not tied to my feat so they are around the yard/town only sandals.

I recommend going to an REI or Whole Earth Provisions or the like and try on every thing that they have.

Cheers,

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
We have a customer who has had the same pair of Chaco Z1s since '98. That's not a big deal. Many people have shoes that live in closets for decades. However, this guy has had his Chacos resoled 6 times. He's had the webbing replaced twice. He said he's probably worn them for as many as 2000 days. Chaco sent him a new pair just because they wanted to. He said he'll use the new Chacos when his finally ware out. :)

Papa Tac

Observer
I'd take the Newport... in fact I already have.
I also have another model ( can't remember the name, they're brown nubuck/"suede" with removeable straps). The problem with these is the strap pattern - they leave my pinky toe uncovered and is a pain when hiking. Love them otherwise
Still prefer my 5 year old Newport - toes are kept protected, they're great from bar to beach.
The wife and I have 6 pair of Keen sandals and shoes - comfy right out of the box.
Happy sandaling!

Funny how a question about Keens illicits suggestions for other shoes. Hard to beat Keens for the Price. Cheers.

Edit - Wide feet here, too, Size 11 Double EE

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
We have a customer who has had the same pair of Chaco Z1s since '98. That's not a big deal. Many people have shoes that live in closets for decades. However, this guy has had his Chacos resoled 6 times. He's had the webbing replaced twice. He said he's probably worn them for as many as 2000 days. Chaco sent him a new pair just because they wanted to. He said he'll use the new Chacos when his finally ware out. :)

Didn't know you can get them repaired, I bought the girlfriend a pair awhile back, and the webbing broke recently (they are at least 5 years old, and she practically lives in them)..she'll be pleased to know they are fixable.

EDIT: I am not seeing that the flips are repairable on their website.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Here you go, Kermit: You have to contact ReChaco at 888-211-9211 for repairs. It’s a separate part of Chaco. Resoles are about $40. Re-webbing is about the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior