Sandy: 2003 Land Cruiser 100 Series Build & Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Pro tip: when dealing with rusty metal, wear safety glasses with wider coverage than your average pair of sunglasses.

This weekend, I was cleaning up some rusty spots and cutting some metal from Sandy, and something got into my left eye. I didn't think much of it until Monday morning when I woke up and it was absurdly sore, super sensitive to light, and still red. Turns out, a shard of metal had adhered at the bottom edge of my iris and was causing irritation. I went in to the doctor and discovered exactly how that problem is dealt with.

They take a small needle and dig it out. If you let it sit long enough, that piece of metal rusts. That corrosion forms a rust ring that isn't removed with the metal shard, so that has to be scraped with the needle and a q-tip, and occasionally a tiny drill-like instrument, in order to remove the rust. Then they'll give you an antibiotic and send you on your way. Lucky for me it wasn't too difficult and not painful, but it is deeply unpleasant. My eye socket and eyeball feel like a sore muscle, and will for the next few days. Live and learn.

1639672470998.png

Lie I said, I was wearing safety glasses. I believe mine were even 3M, but they were low-profile versions more akin to stylish sunglasses than a legitimate safety device. Annoyingly, I had noticed some debris get past my glasses earlier that day, but was too lazy to go change into a pair with better coverage. Those glasses are now in the trash, and I have a few different styles on the way. Not taking the chance on that again.

In case you were curious, this is what I was wearing:

1639672486263.png

I purchased some Uvex Hypershock, which have better coverage and fit closer to the face. They're highly regarded and are an American company (Honeywell), though made in Taiwan.

1639672498877.png

I also bought a pair of KleenGuard Nemesis, which I have had good luck with in the past. They're a Kimberly-Clark brand and also made in Taiwan. Along with them, I picked up a pair of Ergodyne Skullerz, which I've not had experience with. They have good reviews and look to be the coverage I'm after, though Uvex look to be the best bet to me. We'll see once I get them.

Oh, all of these glasses are less than $15, so there's no reason not to have them and wear them when necessary! I may have just gotten unlucky with the pair I was wearing, but I don't want to be unlucky again, so I will have a good stock of these in my shop.

It's got me thinking about earmuffs too. I do have a good pair that I use in the shop, but I could definitely have one or two more to hand. Also gloves. And masks.

Safety gear, people! It's important!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Very nice digs. That's a huge backyard also.

Thanks man, we're pleased with it so far. A lot of work to go, but it works for us.

Love the build so far. Rust is a mother but I'm glad to see you sticking with it

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. It's been a terrible road getting her all cleaned up, but I think the truck deserves it honestly. It drives so well, the mileage is so low, and the interior is so nice that I'd have a hard time justifying going to another vehicle at this point. I'm doing the best I can to take care of the corrosion, and I think I've just about got it licked. Time will tell.

Congrats on the house man! The cruiser is looking good too! I can’t believe how much rust was hiding on that thing…

Thanks brother, hope you have been well!

Yeah, it was hiding a bit of a rabbit hole for sure. I feel like I'm getting close to the end. Here's hoping!

RND1

Observer
Bringing this thread back up to see how you've made out with your Hundy? I too have an '03 that I've been working hard to keep the tin worm at bay up here in the salt belt. I'm just getting a little bit of rust on the body above the rear driver side tire and corner of the driver side fender. Of course, that means there's more rust where I can't see. It's been a great rig for me over the last decade so I want to keep it. Having difficulty finding a body shop that wants to work on rust. I think the front fender is a relatively easy replacement but the quarter panel is a real challenge as I don't think anyone makes patch panels for it?

Any updates on your rig? Did you get it all done? Hope you've been out in the wilds of Montana w your fam enjoying the heck out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior