Sanity Check: Sell my '04 GX to move into a 2018+ Tundra?

Mrbad

Hey all,

I bought my GX in 2019 and fell in love with it. For years I had always wanted a bullet proof SUV that I could build into an overland/expedition vehicle. I have done all the major maintenance so it "should" be good for the next few years, aside from oil changes, brakes etc. The list of mods isn't extensive but include Elka 2.5 DSC on all four corners, SPC UCAs, air bag delete/coil conversion, welded frame sliders, 33x10.5xr17 Toyo AT3's. I have few other modifications in mind to be completed at a later date.

Lately I've been feeling the "pull" of a truck and considering a Tundra (I actually test drove a gen1 Raptor the other day and it left much to be desired). I would really like to build something like TAV's Stage 3 (or 2) Tundra without the $90k price tag in addition to the donor vehicle. I have a little one now, and frankly the GX seems a little small for myself, my wife, and two dogs. Now whenever we hit the trail or trip it will just be me, my son (when he's a little older), and one of my dogs. But for the day to day and possibly longer family trips the Tundra seems to check more boxes, not to mention it can haul.

So. What should I do? Please let me know if I can answer any questions or provide more information.

phsycle

Adventurer
If you’re pining for a new truck, get a new truck. Honestly, with one kid, you can make the GX work just fine. But I get the new vehicle itch. If you can swing it, go for it.

codename607

Adventurer
You really can't go wrong with the Tundra. For several years I switched vehicles way to often and when I landed on my Tundra everything just felt right. It's the perfect rig, however, it's a lot bigger than the GX and it sounds like you have a long list of nice mods to yours. If you go off roading a lot and plan to hit some harder trails remember that the Tundra is a big boy.

At the end of the day, if you have the funds, I'd so go for it. Tomorrow isn't promised and we only get one life to live.

shmabs

Explorer
Hi there,

Current tundra owner, and previous owner of an 80 series, a 200 series, 3rd and 4th gen 4runners......

If the size and fuel economy of the tundra aren't too big of a hinderance, then you'll likely love the extra room. I have a crew max and the cab is HUGE, my 12 year old man child will be bigger than me soon, and loves the extra room as well. We have part of the rear seat deleted to fit a fridge, and even then the back seat is still roomy. With a dog, human offspring and a significant other you might appreciate the cab size. A bed is hard to beat for dirty gear storage.

If you're dog isn't accustomed to, or unable to riding in the bed that might prove challenging as it is now "outside"....

EDIT: but for tight trail work, the tundra's size is noticeable, and may be a hinderance.

dstefan

I went through the same angst about giving up my built ’09 Tacoma. Long story short, I love the Tundra even more. More robust, more power, (far) more comfortable — both the truck itself as well as it’s ability to support the camper. Also, as capable as the Tacoma with similar mods, albeit a bit more lift and adding a front and rear locker and regear. MPG isn’t really much worse loaded up than the Tacoma was. You can search my posts for “Tacoma” and you’ll find a few long winded :p comparisons when others have asked the question.

The two very slight negatives are brushy trails you pick up a bit more striping and for some reason (at least in the 2nd gen double cabs) Toyota didn’t add some of the nice usability touches they had in the Tacoma and I assume your GX — eg, rear bed inverter outlet, easily removable rear sear bottoms, fold down rear seat backs, built in bed cubbies. But those are minor. They are surprisingly maneuverable on the trail, but still longer of course. That might seem like a bigger change to you going from a SWB to a longer one. The relative jump from the Tacoma wasn’t as big. I went with the “old” 2nd gen (’21) vs waiting a year or two for the 3rd gens — wanted the proven platform, and the benefit of 10+ years of tweaks on the architecture.

YMMV, but you’re not crazy . . . at least as far as this goes!

SpeyRod

I have a 2014 Tundra with 210,000 miles on it. I love the truck. I have had issues with it that stem largely from the dealership, Lithia, doing crap work on it. At 130,000 it blew a head gasket so I had Lithia replace the HH on both sides. At 50,000 mile the hg blew again and Lithia told me it needed a new motor. A very expensive motor. I got a second opinion and that mechanic discovered the Lithia tech had blown out a head stud boss. Hence the second hg failure. LSS, I had my new mechanic surface the heads, fix the boss, replace the rings and check the bearings. Bearings were perfect so we put it back together and called it good.

Even with those issues, and a gernaded transfer case, I still love the truck. With OME suspension and 33’s it is a pleasure to drive. So here are my +- for the Tundra:

Plus:
The 5.7 is a very good and strong pulling motor.
With the OME suspension it handles great.
There is a lot of space in the crew cab. It really is comfortable and you don’t get knees in the back from the kids.
It tows very well.
turning radius is almost the same as the Tacoma.

Downside:
Gas mileage. Day to day it runs 13.5 - 14 mpg.
Towing a 6,000 lb NoBo it gets 7.5-8.5 mpg.
Its width does result in more trail striping but I haven’t encountered anything more than that.
Lithia customer service sucks sweaty ……

If this truck got 20 mpg I would say it was perfect. I am considering my next purchase now and the new one is a potential on my list.

sn_85

Observer
If you get the Tundra definitely get the Crewmax. It has a huge backseat that would be enough for the little one and the two dogs.

dstefan

If you ever want a camper or just a topper with the ability to sleep in it think hard about the DoubleCab with the 6.5’ bed. You’d be surprised how roomy the back seats are and how much floor space you gain with one or both folded up.

Of course @sn_85 is right, the crew cabs are cavernous, if that’s what you really need.

skrypj

I have a GX460 and an F150(not a tundra but close enough) and they each have their pro's and con's. I have two kids and two dogs but at one point owned both cars with one kid and two dogs.

I am having a serious debate myself as to which one I want to keep. I just bought a Chevy Bolt as a daily beater and so I really dont need both the GX and truck anymore. Both can kinda do what the other does, but they are better at certain things.

The truck is better for towing, its roomier in the cab, and you can just throw a tremendous amount of crap in the back and it doesn't matter if its dirty, wet or smelly. But its a big vehicle and tight trails can be an issue and bringing it into town can be a little annoying.

The GX is smaller and more nimble which is great for in town driving and offroading. But it does fill up quick once you load everyone up. I ended up putting a prinsu rack on mine recently because, if we wanna go out into the woods paddleboarding or something, there just isnt enough room in there for everyone and everything. So now all your crap is up on the roof potentially getting rained on or dusted. It can tow but not nearly as well.

I also went and test drove a Supercab raptor recently trying to find a vehicle that can do it all a bit better but its just so wide. I wish Ford or someone made a Supercab/5.5' bed truck without the width of the Raptor. that way you get the half ton power for towing, a decent amount of cab space, the utility of a bed, but in a wheelbase that is reasonable for offroading.

The other vehicle that I always toss around is a Sequoia or other full size SUV. Then you get the half ton power and significantly more interior space than a GX, but with only a 120" wheelbase that is far more manuverable offroad. A 2nd Gen Sequoia has the same turning radius as a GX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior