Sankey (wide track) trailer conversion

FrenchyGagnon

I'd like to start by letting you know that I'm new to this forum and will be looking for advices, ideas, encouragements...
I was lucky to locally purchase a Sankey trailer in great shape which I am planning (with my lovely wife's permission) to turn into a camping rig capable of following my "not modified" 4Runner.

Wish list:

1- variable length trailer tongue
2- Aluminum lid ( being built as we speak)
3- external cargo doors at the 4 corners
4- 2 slide outs coming out of the back when tailgate is down
5- raised roof rack for RTT
6- storage racks between the lid and RTT.
7- new "less military " paint ...some will not be pleased with this, but going for desert sand color.

I will keep you posted on progress.

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 37

FrenchyGagnon

Rear end of the Sankey. The lid on the picture is gone. It was fibreglass and not totally weatherproofed.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 30

FrenchyGagnon

I really like the size of the Sankey as it falls somewhere between the M416 and the M101. It is also built like a brick sh... house.

meatblanket

Adventurer
Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Mine is still a work in progress though it is getting used at this point. I pull mine with an exmod 110. If you change the wiring/lighting please don't throw the military stuff away!

barrybazz

sankey build

I can't wait to see this build as i have a sankey mk3. I've had it for 2 years now but have never got around to starting the project, but i still use it regularly as a general trailer. I've had the draw bar extended before i bought it and it tows great behind my LR3. all the best with the build keep us posted how its going. There is a lot of information about these trailers on disco3.co.uk.

FrenchyGagnon

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Mine is still a work in progress though it is getting used at this point. I pull mine with an exmod 110. If you change the wiring/lighting please don't throw the military stuff away!

Changing the wiring, but keeping the lights. Are you looking for parts?

meatblanket

Adventurer
Changing the wiring, but keeping the lights. Are you looking for parts?

No, but only because I spent quite a few bucks replacing the aftermarket junk with the correct NATO 12 pin harness and a bunch of replacement lenses. The original lighting and wiring is well made and watertight, if it's in good shape. The convoy lights are cool, you should have two (one for the number plate on the back and one under the bed that shines on a white plate).

Are the clear lenses on the rear used for reversing lights? They were originally intended to be fog lamps and would have been red.

FrenchyGagnon

Meatblanket, the white lights are reversing lights. I sadly decided to switch the wiring to North American standard because of functionality.
I saw that you are giving on gas springs. Could you send me a picture of the gas spring installation and the specs? That would be a good starting point to help with my installation.

FrenchyGagnon

Built update: ready for skin with checkered aluminum sheet.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1684.JPG
    IMG_1684.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 23

meatblanket

Adventurer
Meatblanket, the white lights are reversing lights. I sadly decided to switch the wiring to North American standard because of functionality.
I saw that you are giving on gas springs. Could you send me a picture of the gas spring installation and the specs? That would be a good starting point to help with my installation.

Nice looking lid! I can't weld aluminum so I fabbed a steel frame and skinned with .063" aluminum tread plate using 3M vhb tape.

DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0034.jpg
DSC_0033.jpg

You should be able to see the lower gas spring attachment point-- I chose to drill the tub to make sure there was a very solid attachment. The springs are 200# from McMaster Carr. They are dialed in really well. The top stays shut on its own weight, requires minimal force to open, and stays open without a prop rod. It opens farther than shown in the picture, as the tent is hitting the ceiling of the garage.

FrenchyGagnon

Here's a little update on the build.
After sandblast, primer and bedliner. Side cargo door cutout. Extendable trailer tongue. Swivel trailer jack with original Sankey jack.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 31

meatblanket

Adventurer
The extendable tongue is a nice idea, the tongues on these are so short that they are really tough to reverse. Since the surge brake is gone are you going to install electrics?

Looking forward to seeing your drawers.

CyprusTM

Nice find. I have been looking for a Sankey or a Canadian M101 for 2 years with no luck. Only one i found the guy wanted 3k for :D. Will follow this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger