Sasquatch Expedition Campers - Owners Thread

Corbet

Observer
Have you tried the 1up extender? Should allow you to fold the rack up vertical.

The Sasquatch receiver has a steel sleeve inside the aluminum square boxed material welded to the swing arm. My plan is to replace that steel sleeve with a slightly longer piece. In all reality it doesn’t really matter though. If I’m not carrying bikes I don’t want the 1Up on the trailer anyway. It will make contact with the side regardless of up or down position if you try to fully open the swing arm past about 110°.

whelanc

The Sasquatch receiver has a steel sleeve inside the aluminum square boxed material welded to the swing arm. My plan is to replace that steel sleeve with a slightly longer piece. In all reality it doesn’t really matter though. If I’m not carrying bikes I don’t want the 1Up on the trailer anyway. It will make contact with the side regardless of up or down position if you try to fully open the swing arm past about 110°.

Are you using a 1Up with a single or a double? I have a double (well, can add the 2nd on when needed) and wonder how that will work, from a geometry, and strengh perspective.

Agree that I don't want it on when I'm not carrying the bikes...and if I was somewhere for an extended period of time, I'd remove the 1Up and put it in my truck bed anyway.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Highland, for a spring 2024 delivery - went up and saw their facility last weekend and was quite impressed.

Hope to see some more folks on here with Sasquatch stuff...so we can all share ideas.

Corbet

Observer
My 1Up is a double. Don’t ever plan to add more. My wife does not ride. Just my son and I. I think you’ll love the trailer. With a highlander you could always put bikes on the roof.

whelanc

My 1Up is a double. Don’t ever plan to add more. My wife does not ride. Just my son and I. I think you’ll love the trailer. With a highlander you could always put bikes on the roof.
Good to know that a 1Up double can go on there. I LOVE that rack. Very solid, and secure.

I was talking with Kass about rigging up a bungie or other strap to run from one of the bikes to the tire swing out, while on the road. That would relieve a lot of stress, particularly when on bumpy roads, from the mounting point.

I can put a 3rd bike (IF I ever needed to) in the bed of my truck (on my hard tonneau, under the rooftop tent - I drove 1000 miles cross country that way when towing a cargo trailer 2 years ago). Works well.

I've got a garage height issue, so trying to keep things off the roof rack, for now. The Highland just makes it in as it is :)

Am sure I'll be asking for more tips later on.

Corbet

Observer
Just returned from my first wheeling trip with the Smuggler. It towed and tracked behind my 80 series wonderfully.

The battery did move laterally and nearly grounded out on the hold down strap. So some additional brackets will be required.

IMG_8195.jpeg
The emergency brake handle contacts my spare tire when pushing the limits of the coupler. I’ve got some ideas here. I don’t think this will be an issue for most. My 4x4 Labs bumper really tucks the receiver in tight and I’ve got a 37” spare on the carrier.

I had one other issue I’m yet to fully diagnose. But I believe my brake controller shorted out. The wheels on the trailer locked and something let its smoke out under the dash. After disconnecting the controllers power from the battery and trailer from truck the smoking stopped. I drove it off the trail the following day without any additional issue.

I’ll chase that down as soon as I can dedicate a day under my dashboard. Can’t say I’m looking forward to it.

I had more storage and cargo space than I could imagine needing. Between the trailer fridge and the one in my truck food storage was ridiculous.

IMG_8197.jpeg

IMG_8198.jpeg

IMG_8196.jpeg

Corbet

Observer
I have an Curt Echo wireless brake controller (https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller) - hoping that works well for this trailer. I've used it before with no issues.

Interesting feedback on the battery - am sure Kass will look at that for the future. Did you snap any photos of the lateral movement?

No, but shifted a couple of inches. He is working on a solution.

I suspect me submerging the trailer wheels numerous times with it connected to the truck contributed to the short but haven’t dug into it yet. A quick Google search recommends disconnecting the electrical on boat trailers at launch. I did over 70 water crossings on the trip some exceeded 2’ deep. enough to completely submerge the trailer wheels.

hedges00

We've had our Highland 60 for two months now and finally got the Walk-around video up on ROMR Reviews. Hope y'all enjoy! Happy to answer any further questions.

Corbet

Observer
Kass sent me a battery solution. Pretty simple and should do the trick. Aluminum pieces of angle with hardware and some little pads on the battery side. Installed them this evening for the weekend.

IMG_8426.jpeg

Corbet

Observer
Today I completed my solar system install. I choose the following components to fit my needs.

200watt Renogy suitcase panel
20A Renogy River Elite MPPT controller
25ft 8AWG extension cord for panel
BT-2 Renogy Bluetooth Module

This should be enough power to run the trailer indefinitely. Fridge/Freezer, water pump and lights are my only draws currently. I went with a large enough panel in case I decide to add more electronics in the future. Like a stereo or HAM radio.

I could plug in a blender or battery charger for tools/RC cars to the inverter. I’ve considered hard mounting a Makita battery charger. Any of those would of course draw more power.

IMG_8651.jpeg
Controller installed into nose cone box.

IMG_8652.jpeg
200 watts of panel

IMG_8643.png
Info displayed on phone app

chrisdors

Sasquatch Expedition Campers will be at Overland Mountain West with a Highland 60 on display in the booth :) Hope to see some of you there!

Last edited:

Corbet

Observer
picked up my Eezi-Awn shower skirt from Equipt during Cruiser Fest. Install was very easy but disappointed the door is on the right side. All the photos show it on the left. Access is tight but works. Would have been better at the front of the trailer. Three walls allow full access to the trailer while inside. Also installed my old Tepui shoe bags. Work great to keep the inside of the tent way cleaner.

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0472.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0474.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpeg
    IMG_0473.jpeg
    976.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Corbet

Observer
Taking the trailer hunting this season. Just installed a safety flag to make my camp more visible. Figure I can’t be too cautious on public lands. Uses an air chuck like connector. Only have 6 of the 9’ in photo. I’ll see if ai want more once the tent is deployed.

IMG_0364.jpeg
IMG_0363.jpeg
IMG_0362.jpeg

whelanc

I am about to pull the trigger on a Taruca Extreme Darkness awning and their shower tent, to sent to Kass, for my build.

I have another mod added, too. He's afixing a solar panel permanently to the roof, so I can get solar all the time, and then pull out the other 200W panels if/when I need to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior