Satellite radio - who uses it?

DAJA

Observer
Martinjmpr said:
So the consensus seems to be a thumbs up for sat radio. Now for my next question:

When I went to circuit city to talk to the folks there, they (of course) recommended a professional install. They also said that in addition to the radio receiver, I'd need another module (can't remember what it is called) to send the signal to the antenna. Cost for this module is about $130 and the professional install is like $79 so I'd be looking at a minimum of a $200 install, that's over and above the cost of the receiver.

So my question is this: Is this neccessary? How many of you are using this additional module (RF transmitter, I think) vs. how many of you just hook the thing up yourself? The other thing they pointed out was that they hard wire the power connection into the battery so you don't have to have a cigarette lighter plug to run the receiver. Since my Taco has 3 power outlets on the dash (and I don't smoke) I'm not concerned about this, although it would be nice to not have a rat's nest of wires on my dashboard.

I've seen satellite radios in unused or little-used condition on Craigslist for $25 or so, and I'm thinking if I can just wire the thing up myself, I'd save a lot of money. Then if I decided I really like it, I can upgrade to a "satellite ready" radio and go the full-install route, but the nice thing is if I don't like it, I can disconnect it, cancel my service and sell the thing on CL and only be out the cost of the service I used.

Thoughts?

I installed mine myself, with no issues. I did eventually buy a direct connection to the radio as at times I would get interference from terestrial radio frequencys. But I think the cord I bought was like $30.00 for the direct connection to the antena.

Good luck

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, I found a guy on CL selling a new XM setup for $25. Going to go meet with him tomorrow and if I'm lucky I should be hooked up by Monday!

chet

island Explorer
there are two types of sat receivers. one that is in your deck (hence the install cost) and the portable one that mounts on your window. The wires from the portabel one drive me nutz! cig plug, wire to the sat on the roof and a ant wire to the back of the radio. My next radio is going to be built into the deck and save all those wires.

The only nice thing now is I can switch it between cars fairly easy.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I have XM. I love to listen to 204 NHL Home Ice (Hockey Talk) and I get most of the regular season games and all the playoffs. I also get the NHL package on the DirecTV and like to sync up the Mike Lange radio feed with the video feed.

I used one that transmitted over FM for 3 years, worked pretty well but my new Jeep has it built in which makes for a cleaner install. However, if I was buying a unit today I would still buy the fm transmitter because I could turn it on in the garage and have XM inside the house on my FM radios.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Got it!

Got the XM. Haven't hooked it up yet, though, due to the fact that my fiancee is buying a motorcycle (yay!) and I am going to go with her to pick it up.

I got the Roady XT and it looks like everything is included. It even has a cassetter adapter which is cool because my Tacoma has a cassette deck. According the manual the sound quality with the cassette adapter is even higher than the direct FM wired connection. The only thing that's a drag is that my cab will have wires running all over it: Power cord for the XM, antenna cord for the XM and the cord to the cassette deck. I'm going to have to see what I can do to make it not look like a spider web in there!

May be activating it tonight or Wednesday.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I have sirus ... And man do I love it. I have had it now for almost 5 years I believe. It's sad but now normal radio annoys me. When I am out in the middle of nowhere and still have great tunes.. it's more than worth it!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Martinjmpr said:
I got the Roady XT and it looks like everything is included. It even has a cassetter adapter which is cool because my Tacoma has a cassette deck. According the manual the sound quality with the cassette adapter is even higher than the direct FM wired connection. The only thing that's a drag is that my cab will have wires running all over it: Power cord for the XM, antenna cord for the XM and the cord to the cassette deck. I'm going to have to see what I can do to make it not look like a spider web in there!

Nice score on the XM. That's what I did too, bought the complete kit from a bud who was switching over to Sirius.

I've never used the cassette adaptor. I just plugged into the cig lighter and ran the antennae wire under the passenger side dash, up into the gasket around the A pillar and mounted the little puck antennae dead center over the windshield. The wire all tucked under the windshield trim, nice and neat.

You can also set everything up online instead of calling in. When you call into XM, they are always trying to upsell you on something. So I prefer to do it online.

Have fun with it. It really helps to have a selection of tunes & news in the middle of BFE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger