Saving the middle seat?

kerry

Expedition Leader
I noticed in this blog that the middle seat was 'saved' by All Terrain Warriors when installing a Stratos suspension seat on the passenger side. How does one 'save' the middle seat? One reason why I still have the original double wide passenger seat and not a suspension seat is that I've wanted the option of carrying a third person in the cab. I have a vague recollection of this subject being discussed in the past but I can't remember the details. I've done a search for a separate middle seat but didn't run across anything on the net.

http://epicycles.com/Truck Blog/2010-01-01/2010-01-01.htm

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Obviously, John can give you the most details on this modification, but my understanding is that the original dickie (center) seat is used. The lower section of the bench seat is cut and recovered and a new mounting frame is made.

gait

Explorer
that's ma blog!

Owen is correct, the engine hatch under the dual seat is closed, new frame added, old seat squab cut and upholstery fixed, suspension seat and reworked squab re-fitted. Recollection is original seat back is already split so storage behind middle seat preserved.

Arms on suspension seats were nice idea at the time. However. Left hand of driver's seat interfered with gear change when up and uncomfortable for me when down. Passenger didn't use them.

Painted metal parts of seats are prone to rust in the conditions I have encountered. Slide lock (the bar across the front that is lifted to allow seat to slide fore/aft) on driver's seat became detached from mounts after a few days and refuses to stay in place. Driver's seat squab compressed after a couple of years (70,000km) use on rough roads. I'm around 80kg.

But they work and help the comfort (providing I don't go faster than I used to).

Give me a day or two to tidy up the cab after being suspended sideways over a rice paddy at 45 degrees and I'll post a photo or two.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
If you are messing with your middle seat, you might consider making the back compartment deeper.
I just did that is weekend. I cut out the back and added new sides/tops to make it go back all the way to the rear wall. It when from 3.5" at the bottom to about 7.0". It will now hold my travel/camera bag (11"x11"x7"), were before all I had in there was the owner's manual.

gait

Explorer
once upon a time ................. and they all lived happily ever after! :)

Not a lot to it really. Lost concentration while tired - how many times have I told me that accidents happen when tired! :) We "only" had a km to go.

Recovery was two hand chain winches and a bit of road improvement with large stones and grooves.

Could have been worse. :)

For the technically minded. The winch chains were heavy enough to not stretch. Very slow winching (literally a centimeter at a time) with a rigidly coupled system is sometimes better than the elastically coupled energetic system that is more effective in other conditions. I was happy to let a front end loader pass - towing from one end carried a real risk of capsize and would have been much less controlled (I figured relatively uncontrollable).

Once upon a time I (and a few others) had to put a de-railed 80 tonne rail car back on the tracks with hand winches, and I had a bit of practice using a hand winch to pull tree stumps out in our garden after the Brisbane Flood. There's always a way.

Most important when things go wrong is the "mental cup of tea". If I can't make one then I pretend. Think first, act last.

Only damage is to my pride .... and being in a Buddhist country helps put that in perspective! :) Maybe I should paint the truck yellow to remind me! :)

A few more pics on the blog at
http://www.epicycles.com/Truck Blog/2013-10-03/2013-10-03.php

Patience. Haven't forgotten. I'll post some pics of seats later. Sorry about the hijack! :)

gait

Explorer
middle seat served its purpose for compulsory guide in China

general view from driver's (right hand) side.
A 002.jpg

from passenger side .... edit - actually driver's side again, squab beginning to collapse
A 003.jpg

bit better view of middle squab
A 004.jpg

middle back (retained storage)
A 005.jpg

driver's fore aft slide release "falls out".
A 006.jpg

this side just has film of rust
A 008.jpg

passenger side lost its plastic plus film of rust
A 007.jpg

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have said it before and I will say it again... for a seat that costs $2K, it really is quite pathetic. The build quality and finish is average at best. Definitely not what I expected to get for the money.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'm glad I found my Stratos on Ebay for a song. My wife insists she's completely happy with the OE double passenger seat so I probably would be installing a suspension seat on that side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998