Sb_Moto Overland camper build.

Killnbusiness

You torqued them to the 95 ft-lbs and it bent the frame railing as well? I know when I talked to my vender on the timbern he said he was using 1/4" thick framing, he mentioned I could go thinner but I would need to follow the recommendations at the bottom of page 2? Hope the sleeving works out, I'm going to stay posted!

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
You torqued them to the 95 ft-lbs and it bent the frame railing as well? I know when I talked to my vender on the timbern he said he was using 1/4" thick framing, he mentioned I could go thinner but I would need to follow the recommendations at the bottom of page 2? Hope the sleeving works out, I'm going to stay posted!

Killn - I read that so I made a bracket since my frame is 1/8" Box. The bracket that I made kept the inside of the frame for bending, but the 1/4 plate that the timbren setup is made out of wasn't sufficient, and bent on the outside of the frame. On one hand you can say the frame wasn't strong enough, and on the other the Timbren wasn't strong enough to be torqued to their specifications.

If you follow their instructions and use 2"x3" frame you will bend it. I promise. If you use 2x2 you may be ok since you will be closer to the tubing edge where it is stronger. The inside bracket that they recomend only keeps the inside of the frame from bending, but does not help the outside.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Picked up some 1/2 water pipe from Lowe's. Cut it into 2" pieces and bored the timbren mount bolts out. Welded them in, and wala problem solved!

I only bores the inside hole first and put the spacer in with the outside plate and bent the frame semi straight again. Going to be sure and check camber/toe when I get it back on, but I think all will be good!

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Made some progress this weekend. Frame is straight, and suspension is bolted back down and tq'd. I finished up the trailer wiring except for the side markers. Used a Expandable wire cover and heat shrink to protect the wires. Clamped them down, and drilled and tapped the mounts.

Took the trailer around town to test how it towed and to haul some tubing. Towed great with no swaying. Very happy so far.

Bent a majority of the tube. DOM 1.5" .095 wall. The middle fender tube is to support the walls. Made some guards for the marker lights that match the tail light guards.

Contemplating changing my design up slightly for the walls. Originally I was going to use a 48" sheet for the walls, and another 48" for the roof. I measured the door opening out, and it seems too small. Now I am thinking about going vertical 44" then 45 Deg over to a 48" roof. Shingle the sheetmetal and bond/ seal with Sikaflex. Ideally I would like to be able to do this without a cover piece like typical Rv's have or Rivets. I like the idea of clean line from the sheetmetal, and not a cap over the joints.

Numbers dont match, but gives you a idea of possible wall profiles.

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
What spindles are you using? It looks low. My Timbren suspension has the 4" lift spindles but my trailer is an off-road Schutt military trailer and is much higher. I have a thread here. The build stalled for awhile but I am getting back into now that the weather has broken.

You're doing a great job on it!

SamM

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
What spindles are you using? It looks low. My Timbren suspension has the 4" lift spindles but my trailer is an off-road Schutt military trailer and is much higher. I have a thread here. The build stalled for awhile but I am getting back into now that the weather has broken.

You're doing a great job on it!

SamM

I used the standard spindles (Longer, but not the 4" lift ones).

The logic behind that was to keep the COG low and make it easier to get in and out of. Taller spindles would also put the rear counter too high to use comfortably.

The main thing was that even with standard height spindles it still has more GC than the truck given the independent nature vs the solid axle on the truck. I probably would have went 4" lift if I was building an adventure trailer and not a camper though.

IM1RU

Observer
Thanks!!! I started welding 2 months ago, and this is the first time I have ever worked with metal so I really appreciate the compliment. It has been a heck of a learning experience.

Having been fabricating (steel, aluminum, stainless) stuff for the last 20 years, I'd say you may have missed your calling. If I may, without offending, it does look to me that you need to turn the heat up on your welder, or the wire speed down. The corner welds (the ones I can see on the gussets) should look like a 45 deg bead (less rounded on top). Of course without watching you weld it, I couldn't really tell you for sure. It's pretty hard to relay info like that over the interwebs.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice! I actually realized that on those brackets probably the worst welds on the whole trailer. I did those in a rush (regret it now), but I was wondering if it was the milscale on the 3/16 that didn't allow the weld to penetrate as much. I am going to grab some scrap and play with it more just to iron it out. I get nervous welding thick metal to thin.

I really appreciate the positive words and advice!

jaydon44

Observer
Super cool design man! big fan of the timbren's little out of budget for me on my project tho, really like what u did with ur tail lights and the guards above them
I will be following along; look forward to seeing the body rise up! keep going!!

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Have you figured out what you're doing with the body yet? Not sure I understood your sketches above?

Those are the basic profiles of the walls that I was contemplating. I found out that I have access to 5' wide sheets of aluminum so I changed my plan up. The walls will run 41" vertical then angle at the top to a 46" wide roof. This should give plenty of interior headroom, a large enough door, and be able to overlap seams for water reasons.

I put some 1x1 sticks up today, but don't have any good pictures. I will get some up tomorrow probably. It is great to see it starting to resemble something!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78