Scangauge or similar?

dy_lon

Observer
I have seen a few posts of other members having a Scangauge (II?) that gives them mpg, miles to empty and check engine light code reading capability. I am very interested in purcahsing something like this for my z71.

My question: Are there other options avaliable in the same $150~ price range?

Thanks,

Dylan

YukonRob

Adventurer
Ultragauge is the most commonly referenced competitor. Other options I've seen include a tablet running an obdII interface cable and application.

Finlay

Triarius
The scanguage is nice and pretty easy to use - but the interface is very 90s and has its limitations. I have one and I like it.

An alternative is a bluetooth OBD II reader and an app like torque on a smart phone or tablet. It's a bit more complex because there are more features, but it also has its limitations (bluetooth flaking out, sending rates, etc.)

But, it is cheaper. The reader is like 20-30 bucks and the app is less than that.

Neither are perfect, but they both work pretty well.

Dennx

Adventurer
What about the iPhone or Droid Dash Command app? I think i'm going this route for my iPhone. There is a cable that connects the phone to the ECU.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Car Code OBD2

Car Code OBD2 may be for you but you need a laptop or whatever to run it. It has device controller for tweaking settings too.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have both the Scangauge and the Ultragauge. Scangauge (SG) is on my 4runner, Ultra Gauge (UG) is on my DD Mazda Protege sedan.

IMO the Ultragauge is more versatile and the interface is more modern looking. On the downside, the UG doesn't show transmission temperatures, which the SG does. The SG also has better mounting options because it has a network cable plug (actually two of them) whereas on the UG the cable is permanently attached to the unit. Also on the UG you have to be able to access the back of the unit in order to operate it, while on the SG all the controls are on the front, which means you can flush-mount it.

The "fill up drill" with the SG is a little easier, but the UG has a better calibration system.

Either one work fine for showing things like engine temp, distance to empty, average and instant MPG, etc.

UG is ~half the cost of the SG but the SG is probably a little higher quality (hard to say but that's how it feels.)

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
An alternative is a bluetooth OBD II reader and an app like torque on a smart phone or tablet. It's a bit more complex because there are more features, but it also has its limitations (bluetooth flaking out, sending rates, etc.)

But, it is cheaper. The reader is like 20-30 bucks and the app is less than that.
Just picked up a bluetooth reader for $14 and using the free version of Torque. Seems to work really well. Not enough time to know the value yet, but it is very similar to hooking up AutoTap and the laptop.

Not a bad item to toss in the truck for helping diagnose OBDII on any vehicle.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Just picked up a bluetooth reader for $14 and using the free version of Torque. Seems to work really well. Not enough time to know the value yet, but it is very similar to hooking up AutoTap and the laptop.

Not a bad item to toss in the truck for helping diagnose OBDII on any vehicle.

I have been using torque in my 2004 Toyota Rav4 for about 6 months now. I was so impressed I bought the paid version just to encourage Ian Hawkins to continue developing this. The support and constant improved versions for torque is outstanding. In my Toyota neither scan or ultra actually read transmission temperature. The ever growing support for extended PIDs is great. I would buy a cheap tablet and run torque before pretty much any thing else. As more and more ECUs are reverse engineered and the unique and proprietary PIDs become available they can easily be added to torque. It also saves different vehicle profiles and can be switched from vehicle to vehicle on the fly. I think Torque is a tremendous value for the money. Also response times are a function of the ECU not torque. Some vehicles like toyotas have wicked fast computers that respond frequently and others are total dogs with delays intentionally built in by the manufactures. FYI I have had zero blue tooth flake outs or other problems and the data logging feature works well. I also leave mine plugged in and have found the idle current when the ignition is switched off to be extremely low, low enough to be a non issue.

It is maddening that many ECUs are intentionally locked down by manufactures and full access is guarded or requires out outrageous 20k subscriptions ect.

Currently running a Motorola Droid X phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger