Scepter Fuel Can Failures?

Trail Talk

I've recently concluded a lengthy run-around with Scepter over one of their Military Fuel Canister or MFC, ie, plastic jerry can, and wonder if similar failures have occurred to others.

Inside the MFC is a white plastic breather tube that runs internally back from the spout. When in place, fuel pours out nice and smoothly. Unfortunately mine fell off this summer and now it sputters and splashes while pouring. Close examination of the tube shows it split on a molding seam and dropped off the internal mount to which it had been press fitted. Has this happened to anyone else out there?

Scepter's determination is that a breather tube not a reparable item so they will not provide me with the part. Since I'm outside the one year warranty, they won't replace the canister either. I have six of these things so now I'm concerned.

Scepter vent tube A.JPG

Scepter vent tube B.JPGIMG_4349 copy.JPG

NOPEC

I've recently concluded a lengthy run-around with Scepter over one of their Military Fuel Canister or MFC, ie, plastic jerry can, and wonder if similar failures have occurred to others.

Inside the MFC is a white plastic breather tube that runs internally back from the spout. When in place, fuel pours out nice and smoothly. Unfortunately mine fell off this summer and now it sputters and splashes while pouring. Close examination of the tube shows it split on a molding seam and dropped off the internal mount to which it had been press fitted. Has this happened to anyone else out there?

Scepter's determination is that a breather tube not a reparable item so they will not provide me with the part. Since I'm outside the one year warranty, they won't replace the canister either. I have six of these things so now I'm concerned.

View attachment 804071

View attachment 804072View attachment 804073
Geesh, not very Canadian of them, eh?

Alloy

It's too bad good will is getting harder to find.

You could melt the seam together with heat gun or have some fun with Scepter. There's a long certification process that portable fuel container have to go through. Let Scepter know EPA / ASTM / CPSC / OSHA / Transport Canada will get pictures of the failed tube. It will bring into question their mfg/certification processes. If they can't ensure a tube doen't split along the seam what about the rest of their products?

NOPEC

You could melt the seam together with heat gun or have some fun with Scepter. There's a long certification process that portable fuel container have to go through. Let Scepter know EPA / ASTM / CPSC / OSHA / Transport Canada will get pictures of the failed tube. It will bring into question their mfg/certification processes. If they can't ensure a tube doen't split along the seam what about the rest of their products?
Or just refresh their corporate memories of the very old, family business called the Blitz Gan Can Company in Ohio being sued into oblivian with dozens of law suits due to the fact that gasoline burns or explodes when exposed to open flames. Here is an example of one of the claims.....

"On January 22, 2015, Oregon resident Daniel Rowlett filed a lawsuit against Wal-mart, claiming the company sold him a defective product. According to his complaint, he was trying to start a fire in a burning barrel in October 2013. He believed he had failed to get the fire going, so he decided to pour some gasoline into the barrel to make it easier.

Apparently there was something burning in the barrel, as the Blitz gas can exploded, spraying burning fuel onto Rowlett and burning over 45 percent of his body.

The gas ignited when the unseen flame in the barrel came into contact with fuel vapors. The fire jumped onto those vapors, traveling back up to the can and causing the explosion. Rowlett seeks $13 million for medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering."

Trail Talk

Scepter was acquired by Myers Industries of Akron in 2014. Still has some Canadian manufacturing but Customer Service is in Ohio.

Trail Talk

I tried some adhesives but the plastic was resistant and Scepter wouldn’t give me any recommendations. As a last effort I used heat in an attempt to fuse the split but the plastic warped and its still cracked!

There is somebody selling these vent tubes, used take-offs, on Ebay but refuses to ship north. Geez…

sancap

One of mine came off and was split also. I cleaned it with acetone and used super glue to reattach it. It has been over 8 months and it is still attached.

Trail Talk

One of mine came off and was split also. I cleaned it with acetone and used super glue to reattach it. It has been over 8 months and it is still attached.

Have you had fuel in the container for that long? Wondering how the super glue reacts over time.

Last edited:

Alloy

There is somebody selling these vent tubes, used take-offs, on Ebay but refuses to ship north. Geez…

I saw that.....620 sold! I'm in Blaine WA 2-3 time a month. I can order some of the tubes and sent them to you.

I've had 8 of these (just over 6gal filled right to the top) with EZ Pour nozzles for years.

1699110533018.png

Trail Talk

I saw that.....620 sold! I'm in Blaine WA 2-3 time a month. I can order some of the tubes and sent them to you.

I've had 8 of these (just over 6gal filled right to the top) with EZ Pour nozzles for years.

View attachment 804152

Ah, with hindsight that would have been the type of container to go with. Same size as the MFC, right? I'll PM you on the Ebay item :)

Trail Talk

Huge thanks to Alloy for scoring a few of those Fleabay vent tubes down south and sending them on to me 👏 Easily popped on with bent-nose pliers for a friction fit without glue (so far).

IMG_5073.JPG
IMG_5074.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior