Scepter Gas Can Mount for Blitz style bumper question

Toolman

Explorer
First I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I have some Scepter Fuel and water jugs 20L (plastic) they work fine on my Aluminess bumper on my van, however I'm looking for an adapter to fit the blitz style can mount I have on my Bullet Proof MFG swing away on my TJ.. I can fab something up but I realize that it's just easier sometimes to buy and assemble.. someone else has done the work.. The Gobi, Adventure Trailer, and Garvin style are all nice however it's not what I need.. nor will they work for my application .. I've seen a wedco/nato can with a strap around it hanging form a bumper at some point in time but I'm curious if anyone knows where to find one for the scepter..

Ok here's why I chose scepter.. plastic doesn't rust or dent. In the early 1980's my Pops' bought some plastic gas cans for motor cycle riding and they are still in tact, and being used til this day... BTW we're hard on stuff.. so that's a testament to plastic gas fuel jugs. In 2 years of wheeling I've lost 3 blitz cans.. and I won't spring for the Wedco CARB approved BS... the lids are no bueno. Maybe it's just me over here by the ocean either way, I'm over it.. RUST in the can goes into the tank.. clogs filters and pumps and causes problems down the road that I want to avoid if possible.
so here I am
Thanks for any help in advance and MODS if this isn't the right place for this thread please advise.

Toolman

Explorer
Done !!!

So after a couple of days and no replies, I gave up on some fancy store bought gas / water can holder

I didn't want to ruin the integrity of the bumper so I made an adapter to hold these style cans, so if needed I could go back to steel.. not sure why other than if I decide to sell the TJ.

this is what I started with a slight lip to hold old school gas cans,

2011-06-24083028.jpg

In my garage, I found some 1/8" hot rolled sheet metal and some 1" angle that will slide into the slot on the swing away.. I traced a pattern, cut it with the plasma, made some bends.. welded the two together.

2011-06-24083043.jpg

added some flat stock and test fit the unit, drilled and tapped some holes to secure to the swing away

drilled some 1" holes to hold the 1" nylon webbing

2011-06-24151229.jpg

dropped the scetpter cans into place for more assurance

2011-06-24151331.jpg

I removed the original clamp brackets and added some ratchets from some harbor freight tie downs I had while using the existing tapped holes

2011-06-24171312.jpg

quick shot of semi gloss rattle can and I called it done...

2011-06-24171302.jpg

I made my departure angle better and I have a skid plate for the cans now instead of risking the loss of water and fuel on the trail, overall I rushed this mod but I'm glad it's done.. now I'm on to the next thing on my list..

Toolman

Explorer
Thanks Chips.. I wanted to get them done before our trip, as you know time is tickin away.. and soon enough we'll be on the Dooosy

11b4v

Adventurer
question

question,

whats that blue/yellow connection? thingy on top of the bumper, left of the swing away latch?

PolarXJ

Observer
Nice work, I've always liked that bumper. My brother had it on his TJ, beat the crap out of it. Well it was more like it beat the crap out of rocks. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998

Members online