Scepter Jerry Cans

pwc

Explorer
:wavey:
devinsixtyseven said:
Do the screw-on caps with the tube fit the H2O cans as well as the fuel cans?
Yes, they are interchangable. I thought of getting a spout for the water can, but my opinion now is the hole in the cap of the water lids works great.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Are they hold a seal enough to keep inside the vehicle? I was going to add an aux tank, but it didnt work out. It might be easier and less expensive to go this route.

Aaron

They hold a seal great...hold it over your head upside down and shake it, no leaks.

Personally I wouldn't carry fuel inside, tho...but they don't leak.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Scepter Military Fuel Can

xcmountain80 said:
Are they hold a seal enough to keep inside the vehicle? I was going to add an aux tank, but it didnt work out. It might be easier and less expensive to go this route.

Aaron

Aaron,
The Scepter Military Fuel Cans (MFC) will hold a seal enough to keep inside a vehicle but you have to crank the cover down real tight. Although gas inside you vehicle for extended trips is not very desirable. As others have mentionned they do expand in the heat quite a bit.

Another item you should consider if you are going the Scepter MFC route is the super syphon. I originally purchased the 19 mm Scepter pour spout, but there was always a little bit of spillage due to gas being trapped in the vent line. Once the can was empty with no air flow into the vent, the gas would spill out. I would controll this by using a rag to catch the fuel, but it's a PITA trying to hold a full can of gas, hold the nozzle in the proper location and try to catch dripping gas with a rag. The super syphon addressed these issues.

Scepter's customer service is excellent and I would definately purchase from them again. Since I'm in Canada I had to go directly through Scepter for my purchase.
Cheers :beer:,
P

180pilot

Mine still leaking

I purchased 3, 10L scepters two years ago before my wonderful State of California forced us into using all forms of cans and nozzles that don't work.
However, I've nothing but leaking problems with them even when using a strap wrench to tighten the caps down down. Even got one new cap from dealer in CO. before he shut down,.. still leaks. I've emailed Sceptor in Canada about it with no answer. Another thing I don't understand is why the caps get harder to screw on and off, with time, as if the plastic is swelling up. I carry these in my aircraft sometimes with Kerosene for expedition stoves. I figured a military can should not leak going to altitude as they ferry fuel all the time, wrong....

So I just purchased 4 Wedco 20L Jerrys with the "CARB" set up, (can't get 10L in CARB yet it seems ), another nightmare Rube Goldberg nozzle that you can't pour into anything. The cans them selves are first class, so I'll be using the super siphon until California discovers because of their stupid legislation, everyone is using a siphon, which is an almost perfect way to get a Murphy's Law spill. Just wait until some idiot burns himself up using one here. It will become a felony to have a piece of tubing in your possession!

P.S. I have 2 20L Sceptor Water cans without much of a problem so far, even got the miltary insulated covers for them to keep H20 from freezing. VERY well made, no complaint with them.

Cessna 180
Chevy K1500 with 4 Wheel Camper
Honda Rancher 420 4X
BMW R80GS

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
Old thread, I know, but I'm about to get my first Sceptres for a new rear carrier we're building and appreciate the info.

Thanks @flyingwil for the review.

The yellow D90 looks like it has the same carrier as Kristy (in fact the whole truck looks like hers), that'll solve another problem.

Cheers,
Nick.

Craigslist-TN

I was going to purchase these 5 containers for water carriers but learned the seller had stored diesel in them. If someone needed some fuel cans these would be a good buy-$5 apiece.
Military Surplus Water Cans/Jerry Cans - $25 (Hwy 13)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-938709816@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-11-29, 10:44PM EST

Five Military Surplus Water Cans. Hard Plastic. Excellent condition. Each holds five gallons.

Can be used to store water, gas, diesel, used oil...whatever you want.

additional Craigslist info

This was in the Clarksville,TN Craigslist-one of the cities that Craigslist services- around the Ft. Campbell area. I'm not sure if the seller would ship or not.

cruisertoy

Explorer
$5 each would be great, but if they had fuel or anything other than water in them I wouldn't bother. You can buy these anyday of the week from buylci.com in thier tactical section. $16 each including shipping, $50 min. order. They are not made by scepter, but by LCI who is a second supplier to the military. Next to my scepter cans the only way to tell them apart is the "property of US government" on the LCI units.

L8 APEKS

Observer
Jonathan Hanson said:
I have no doubt that plastic cans can be strong and leakproof. It's UV degradation I worry about since on my vehicle the cans are exposed to the sun. I don't care what assurances are offered by the maker, I've yet to see a plastic that didn't turn brittle and fail with moderate sun exposure.

This is not to contradict anyone, just a caveat to take care with exposure.

Spray it with a rattle can of automotive clearcoat with UV protection in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78