Scepter v. Wedco: Which Can is Better and Why???

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Scepter vs. Wedco: Which Can is Better and Why???

I'm trying to decide between Scepter cans or Wedco cans. I know I want the non-CARB cans as I've heard nothing good about them.

USMC uses Scepter. They are tough but I've seen that they do leak a bit.
http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/scepter/

NATO uses Wedco. Supposedly they dont leak a drop.
https://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/

Both are priced similarly. Opinions???

Thanks in advance for the input. These will be a bit of an investment so I want the best.

Last edited:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Tough call -- also what seems to be an endless debate!
There are several other threads that address the same issue.
In the end I believe it comes down to personal preference.

I use a Wenco can and like the closure

But if I'm ever in the market for cans again, I like the lightweight plastic of the Scepter.

articulate

Expedition Leader
I notice that my Scepter leaks. Minutely for sure, but it does seep out of the lid. It might be defective...or that just might be life. :yikes:

Mark

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I have both Scepter and NATO cans and the scepter does seem to seep a little, even when I crank it down as much as I can. I like the lighter weight of the scepter can though.

IggyB

Adventurer
I have Scepter cans. To tighten the cap, or the spout, I do it as tight as I can by hand and then use a strap wrench to tighten it just a bit more. They don't leak after that.

tarbe

Observer
I don't want any part of a gas can that tends to leak.

I have Wedco and they don't leak.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I'm still on the Wedco/NATO surplus side, although I know some who have had good luck with Scepter cans. You just can't beat that lever-locking seal on the NATO-style can. No way to get that much pressure on the gasket on the Scepter top, I think, even with a strap wrench.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I think I may go with the "old school" Wedco cans. I hate the smell of gas, and that stuff is too expensive to loose a drop unnecessarily...

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I'm of the opinion that both are great products. I have the Wedco cans but will be trying the Scepter cans too.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have two of each in gas and water - I have had no leaking issues with either cans - the nato cans get dinged and start to look bad and rust - the nato cans for water start to rust at the very edge of the rim ( not coated to well there) The scepter gas cans - while I have not had them leak they really puff up in the heat - I use a super syphon to load gas back in the vehicle -

Don't think the scepter is a long term can -in the end I still lean to the nato for fuel

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
I have two Wedco NATO cans which I coated with Herculiner. I carry them laying on their side in Wilderness rack (rubber mat underneath) and have never had a leak in four years. Never had Scepter, so cannot speak for them.
BX

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
05TACODOC said:
Also, these http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=201701 look exactly the same as the Wedco can for alot less... Are these Wedco cans I wonder???

Those are NATO style military surplus cans. the Wedco brand name cans are based off of the same design but I doubt Wedco made those Swiss Military cans.

Note that the NATO style military surplus cans are usually just a bit heavier duty than the Wedco as they use a slightly thicker steel for the can.

Lots of good souces out there for mlitary surplus cans - as low as $9 each

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12