Scepter water can question

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Just received several brand new 20L Scepter water cans. Not having the opportunity to inspect Scepter water cans prior to my purchase I was surprised to see they do not have a seal or "o-ring" in either the main cap, pour cap or vent cap.

And apart of a little shake down run last week low and behold the one can I used horizontally did indeed leak water. So if they are not watertight I can only assume they are not totally dust proof either. Strange (to me).

My question: I wonder why Scepter would not integrate a sealing "o-ring" on the cap(s)?

I have never had my Scepter water cans leak and I lay them horizontal on my roof rack.. you do have to get the lids seriously tight though to make the seals that they have work.

shake'n'bake

Scepter water can

Interesting, I have never had any one of my Scepter cans leak. But sometimes it can be tricky to thread the cap on and make sure its tight.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I was diligent, having other Scepter fuel cans, to get the caps tight. But I'll go back and crank the three caps down tighter to see if that helps eliminate the issue.

Thanks!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Are these in deed Scepter or are they the BuyLCI cans that some have been buying?

While the BuyLCI and Scepter cans appear to be identical, I did notice some of the molding lines are different and the BuyLCI cans were shipped sans an o-ring on the vent whereas all my Scepter direct cans have the o-ring on the vent only. I was able to find a suitable o-ring that I slipped over the vent and it seems to be working just as the Scepter units do.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I will check mine when I get home

I think i remember that mine do have gaskets on both the large and small caps. I will check this when I get home tonight. Maybe another person who actually knows will have a quicker answer.

-m

Bighead

Adventurer
I just checked mine and I have an o-ring on the vent cap only...the pour and fill caps don't have anything. Mine haven't leaked at all.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Just received several brand new 20L Scepter water cans. Not having the opportunity to inspect Scepter water cans prior to my purchase I was surprised to see they do not have a seal or "o-ring" in either the main cap, pour cap or vent cap.

And apart of a little shake down run last week low and behold the one can I used horizontally did indeed leak water. So if they are not watertight I can only assume they are not totally dust proof either. Strange (to me).

My question: I wonder why Scepter would not integrate a sealing "o-ring" on the cap(s)?

Dan, I have five of these and I do have to really turn the cap to get a good seal. I sometimes have to use two hands to get the lids cranked down firmly enough to prevent leaks. Once I do though, no leaks.
Test again and let us know if you're still having trouble and from where? Main seal, pour spout, or breather?

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I have 3 Scepters (2 water; 1 diesel) and when I first got them, I noticed a small leak in one. However, you have to get the thread on straight and tight and they work great! Back the cap off until it kind of clicks into place and then thread forward and tight (finger tight and then a bit more). Not too tight or they are hell to get off.

IggyB

Adventurer
I use the strap wrench on gas and water cans to cinch them tight. It just takes a little bit of effort and they're tight as a duck's behind :)

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Are these in deed Scepter or are they the BuyLCI cans that some have been buying?

While the BuyLCI and Scepter cans appear to be identical, I did notice some of the molding lines are different and the BuyLCI cans were shipped sans an o-ring on the vent whereas all my Scepter direct cans have the o-ring on the vent only. I was able to find a suitable o-ring that I slipped over the vent and it seems to be working just as the Scepter units do.

Kurt, i picked up 4 LCI cans and one had a leak at the vent. LCI quickly shipped me a new cap.

Where can i source a few of the o-rings you mention?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I use a couple of the Scepter water cans. I also use a strap wrench for both my fuel and water caps. No leaks.

My water caps don't have a cap gasket. It looks like the design is more around a cone shape molded into the cap that seals when tightened.

The fuel cans have flat surfaces that are sealed with a gasket.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
x2

snip.............
My water caps don't have a cap gasket. It looks like the design is more around a cone shape molded into the cap that seals when tightened.

The fuel cans have flat surfaces that are sealed with a gasket.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Where can i source a few of the o-rings you mention?

I source mine from a local rubber/gasket industrial supplier, they literally have every diameter you could imagine. I carefully removed one from my Scepter and had them match it up, as I recall it ended up being a common size. I bought 20 or so of them for a buck or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears