School me on the 2004 Toyota Tacoma...

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
When I painted my Land Cruiser wheels, I did not clear coat them.,, why you may ask... because, they will get scratched up and it really does not do any purpose.

As for the tire backspacing question, I believe 4 inches is the magic number.
For a better understanding of backspacing...see link below.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2320671#post2320671

Question... which if you have already been asked.... why not a JK?
I recently drove my friends new one on the highway, and I was impressed.
If I had to get a new truck.... it would be on my short list.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Question... which if you have already been asked.... why not a JK?
I recently drove my friends new one on the highway, and I was impressed.
If I had to get a new truck.... it would be on my short list.

+1 on this. I currently have a 2001 DC, and while I love my truck, I find myself constantly drooling over the JKs. If I did it all over again, I think I would more seriously consider one.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I saw a crew cab 2004 tacoma trd for sale in the local paper sunday. Clean title 104k miles. Asking 4000.00. Seem to cheap to be legit so I didnt call. It was an 813 area code listed in the Tulsa World sunday classifieds.

thejafe

Adventurer
Alright, seems as though the higher mileage offerings are more within my budget. Alright to consider listings for Tacos with around 125k miles on the odo? I've seen some offered for under $12k.

J

JWP58

Of course. Check the carfax, question the maintenance record (timing belt, water pump, ect) and go from there. Hell my 2001 went 175k on the original timing belt and water pump.....actually original everything.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
If you find one in my area of Texas (San Antonio), let me know, I will check it out for you or get another TTORA friend to check it out.

Note my Taco has about 160,000 miles since I bought her new in 2000.

njtacoma

Explorer
Suggestions: Get a V6, if you want a locker, the only factory option was on the TRD... other than that, a non-TRD will do fine.
- HAVE fun shopping.

I agree with much of TEJAS said, again might be regional, or a double cab only thing, but in the rocky mountain region double cabs were available with the locker as a stand alone option. I really like the locker, just out goofing off with my son a couple days ago, and the locker is so nice for everything from picking up a tire, or wet/snowy rocks. It is nice to push a button and go.
On the window sticker it says "differential locks" - I wish it was plural, like a rubicon, but for what I do one locker is enough.

All this to say, don't discount the locker. Here the price difference is not that high in the used market, so it is way cheaper then adding one later.

thejafe

Adventurer
Alright, well I made an interesting find within 100 miles of me:

2004 Toyota Tacoma
Listed at $11,800
4cyl
Automatic
4x4
38,100 miles

I should be able to talk them down on the price a bit. Might be worth taking a look at but my concern is for the 4cyl engine. Will it have enough power once I load the vehicle down with an ARB Bull Bar, rock sliders, all my gear, etc? Or should I just stick to looking at models with the V6?

p nut

butter
Personally, if you know you're going to be loaded down pretty heavy, I'd omit 4-cyl's from your search. Although plenty on here have 2.7's and love them, I just couldn't make it work. But I do have some big mountains to go over at higher elevation, so that was a big factor.

SpeedoJosh

4cyl with a manual trans would not be a bad rig, little slower, but works.
4cyl with an auto would not be fun loaded down.

I'd hold out for either a 4cyl manual, or either trans with the V6.

NotAMog

Observer
I have a 2004 Tacoma standard cab 4x4 with automatic. It has A swing gate rear bumper, rock sliders, and frame reinforcements from Demello Offroad, custom Deaver 10 leaf rear springs, Icon front coil overs and rear shocks, and an AT FlipPac camper.

The set up works great off road but it is lacking power on road. If you don't want the transmission hunting gears on hills you need to lock out the overdrive when it down shifts the first time and keep it off. until you stop climbing. You also need to be patient on hills or you will find yourself dropping into second and winding up the motor.

The fuel mileage is also disappointing. I usually get 14 to 16 on the road driving 65 to 70. That's about what I get with my Pinzgauer 710. The Tacoma can run about 10mph faster on the hills than the Pinzgauer. Faster if I want to run in second near the redline.

I learned to take my time and not be concerned about running at or over the speed limit on hills driving the Pinzgauer so the Tacoma doesn't seem that bad. It just depends on what you are use to. My biggest complaint would be the fuel mileage. I was hoping to get something closer to 20mpg on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if a V6 with the same configuration would return higher mpg.

BTW - I have you beat on low mileage. Mine just turned 27k and I plan to keep it for quite awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman