School me!!

Donsfast

Observer
I have had many Jeeps over the years, 12 I think and am considering getting a Toyota. In particular a 2.7 four cyl. reg cab 4x4 Tacoma but I dont know much about them. I have wheeled with plenty of capable Toyotas so I know the off-roading will not be an issue but I do not know much about the on road part. I found a clean 2012 2.7, auto reg cab with A/C. Fair price but I have concerned about power with the altitude here, I am at 5800 feet or so. I have minimal plans for it maybe some 33" tall tires give or take an inch, a winch and lots of exploring.......so! How is the power with the auto or is worth finding a standard? Expected MPG? and anything else anybody cares to share. I have found several great write ups but more information never hurts and I am sure others will come up with things I have yet to consider.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I can't help you - too new for me ; )

I have read several say, get the V6, the mileage is almost the same and the power is tons better. Just what I read, so BTT!

Kaisen

Explorer
At 5,800 ft elevation you're losing nearly 20% of your power. The 2.7L 4 cylinder isn't known as a powerhouse even at sea level. So 159 horsepower turns into 130 horses at that altitude, and 180 lb-ft is more like 145 lb-ft. I don't know about you, but 130hp and 145lb-ft in a nearly 4,000 pound truck (empty, no driver) with a power-sapping automatic doesn't sound like a recipe for fun, or good gas mileage. Now add a winch, larger tires, and some gear and I'm pretty sure you'll spend a lot of time at full throttle just trying to get up to speed. Run the A/C and it will take a well thought out plan to merge at freeways speeds.

But it's a Toyota so I'm sure it's a fantastic deal compared to a brand new one, right? You can buy brand new 2013s with zero miles for mid $22K....how much is the used one?

Kaisen

Explorer
BTW, the Toyota Tacoma Reg Cab 2.7L 4 cylinder Auto 4x4 is rated 18 mpg city / 21 mpg highway at sea level.

Wasatch

Observer
I own a 07 reg cab 2.7L and it's great. I live at 7000 feet as well.

Sure I'm not winning drag races, but the 5spd is bomb proof and so is the engine. I found the 6spd in the V6 does not have the same stout-feeling as my 4 cylinder's 5spd. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the manual transmission.

The regular cab is a unique vehicle in that it is simple and still the same engine bay and bed as the bigger trim models. Giving you the options for features and parts made for trucks much heavier than the regular cab, which can result in one stout and compact rig with a wheelbase only 10 inches or so longer than a wrangler.

If you're set on 33''+ tires a re-gear may be necessary depending on your region and usage of the vehicle.

My truck gets 23 ish on the Highway loaded with skids, arb, cap, etc...

(P.S: Toyota does not put the V6 in 05+ regular cabs)

Hope this helps!

tacollie

Glamper
I have minimal experience in the regular cabs but I can confidently say the newer autos are not power suckers like the older ones. Drive as many as you can just to compare. It will probably have steel wheels. I would pick up some factory alloys of craigslist.

Clutch

<---Pass
I can't help you - too new for me ; )

I have read several say, get the V6, the mileage is almost the same and the power is tons better. Just what I read, so BTT!

V6 wasn't available in the 2nd gen RC Tacomas. (which is too bad)

Kaisen

Explorer
Not power sapping? The 2.7L's 4 speed automatic has a 2.80 1st gear ratio, 1.53 2nd, 1.00 3rd, and a 0.71 4th gear ratio. I think that fits the power sapping description.

For example, the V6's 6 speed manual has a 4.17 1st gear ratio. Coupled with 50% more torque from the motor (270 vs 180), and nearly 50% more gear leverage (4.17 vs 2.80) the V6 6speed puts more than DOUBLE the torque to the wheels.

But go drive it! Maybe it's adequate for your needs. If you want to run big tires, make sure you drive one with big tires --hopefully with a 4.88 re-gear already installed. Just be prepared for less than half-ton V8 fuel economy from a 4 cylinder small truck.

Donsfast

Observer
I am not expecting it to be a rocket but it will fit my needs better than a Jeep currently and the MPG will not hurt either. I had a 2010 2-door Rubicon with 35"s and he power was livable. I think I will go drive one tomorrow and see how I like it. I have a Cummins Dodge currently so I am sure it will feel under powered no matter what.

Clutch

<---Pass
I am not expecting it to be a rocket but it will fit my needs better than a Jeep currently and the MPG will not hurt either. I had a 2010 2-door Rubicon with 35"s and he power was livable. I think I will go drive one tomorrow and see how I like it. I have a Cummins Dodge currently so I am sure it will feel under powered no matter what.

The RC Tacomas are great little wheelers. Just can't be in a hurry with them on the highway. I am fine going 65, plus I mainly stick to 2 lane roads to get where I need to go. Doesn't matter if the vehicle is the biggest, fastest, most powerful...if the speed limit is 45 or lower.

Would stick with a manual trans so you decide where the shift points are, but the auto is fine if you're just plunking around. Low speed/low range situations that 2.7 is perfectly fine, more than enough even.

Sure they may be a bit underpowered, not the best fuel economy..but are enjoyable to drive, to get out and explore in.

9-IMG_7495-1000.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm not sure what auto trans the 2.7 gets in the 2nd gen tacos. I can tell you from experience that the A340 that was behind the V6 in my '99 4runner was a serious power-sucking slushbox. The 5 speed (A750?) in my '07 is much better but then again having ~40 more HP from the 4.0 V6 helps, too.

Given the marginal power of the 2.7, I would probably hold out for a manual transmission model. In fact, if you're finding a "good deal" on a Taco with the 2.7/auto, it may be because the previous owner is unhappy with the engine/tranny combo, just something to think about. ;)

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The 2.7 reg-cab would be my choice if I ever got a newer truck. The power factor is all relative. I'm used to driving overloaded 22REs (8-valve 2.4L) at altitude so I probably would consider the 2.7 16v to be really powerful, myself.

Also, you can't really compare auto and manually tranny gear ratios. The torque converter slip is not factored into the auto ratios. Final drive ratio (input speed vs. output speed) is often quite a bit higher than the published gear ratios of an auto trans.

Driving it and checking it out in person will tell you whether or not it's the truck for you.

Good luck!

Clutch

<---Pass
The 2.7 reg-cab would be my choice if I ever got a newer truck. The power factor is all relative. I'm used to driving overloaded 22REs (8-valve 2.4L) at altitude so I probably would consider the 2.7 16v to be really powerful, myself.

I have been driving my 70 horse VW Bus for the last couple days, hopped back in my Tacoma..it feels like a rocket-ship.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
As a owner of a 2001 reg cab, the 2005 reg cabs feel huge inside and I could see buying one. Only in a 5spd though and plan on re-gearing for anything bigger than a 31. I owned a 2008 extra cab with the 2.7 and it was horribly underpowered and geared with 32's and some weight in the bed. Couldn't tow at highway speeds in 5th gear. If I had re-geared, I might have kept the truck but I wasn't impressed with the build quality over the previous gen truck. I went backwards and would buy a newer one, only in a reg cab, only with the 5spd. The 2.7 is my favorite motor for this size truck, quite robust, can be efficient fuel wise and there's only 4 spark plugs ect... You don't really go anywhere fast but you get there and you start to look around and enjoy the right hand lane up mountain passes. Otherwise I'm buying a Tundra. I would look at a reg cab shortbed Tundra. Kinda rare, really cool looking and an amazing amount of space behind the seats. If I didn't have a dog and wife to contend with, that would be my next newer vehicle.

Cheers,
Jorge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12