Scoutman's 'new' Starcraft Pine Mtn on Dodge 3500

Scoutman

Explorer
Overall shots....

IMG_20140221_205809_807 (Large).jpg IMG_20140221_205814_293 (Large).jpg

AC interior installed, exterior just needs the outer cover on.

IMG_20140221_205841_539 (Large).jpg IMG_20140221_205920_944 (Large).jpg

And a shot of my other garage buddy, napping while I do all the work..

IMG_20140222_153206_467 (Large).jpg

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Thanks, i was wondering if anyone was still reading this stuff.

Haha I know the feeling. Great work. I always like seeing what other people do to bring life back into old campers. Keep up the great work. Soon you will just be camping and enjoying all you hard work! :smiley_drive:

Scoutman

Explorer
Haha I know the feeling. Great work. I always like seeing what other people do to bring life back into old campers. Keep up the great work. Soon you will just be camping and enjoying all you hard work! :smiley_drive:

Man I sure hope so. It's coming up on a year of this thing being out of commish and not getting it out has been killing me, not to mention it has taken up my 'short term project bay' of my shop the whole time which means I've either been working in the cold or putting other things off. My son has been beating me up for the longest time to go and it's tough trying to explain that this sort of stuff doesn't go back together overnight. We did the tent camping thing back in November when we went to go get our 101A3 which will be our mule for all the things that the camper can't/won't hold.

I guess I should post some picts more interesting than camper refurb huh?

IMG_20131027_090444_007 (Large).jpg IMG_20131027_091413_862 (Large).jpg IMG_20131027_092752_178 (Large).jpg

IMG_20131027_101622_760 (Large).jpg IMG_20131027_135912_575 (Large).jpg IMG_20131027_122752_087 (Large).jpg

F451

Observer
Thank you so much for taking the time to document your experiences with your Starcraft! I'm considering buying a used pop-up camper for my F250 crewcab and I've found a 2001 Starcraft Lonestar that I am hoping to go take a look at this weekend. Reading this entire thread (well, studying it really), I feel like I've just completed Starcraft Pop-Up 101. This information will be invaluable when I go to see it.

Really impressed with the repairs, wow. Good job on the perseverance, a great lesson for your kid too.

My daughter has a horse and we go to a lot of events, usually tent camp or stay in hotels nearby, both of which are getting old, and expensive. I go dirt bike riding, so the camper would be a great purchase for us (at least my daughter and I think so, wife not so much).

Again, thanks for taking the time to document everything! -Ed

Ps: And thanks to everyone else for taking the time to post up here on the forum, I've been studying pop-up campers for months now, getting close to pulling the trigger, can't wait.

Scoutman

Explorer
Thank you so much for taking the time to document your experiences with your Starcraft! I'm considering buying a used pop-up camper for my F250 crewcab and I've found a 2001 Starcraft Lonestar that I am hoping to go take a look at this weekend. Reading this entire thread (well, studying it really), I feel like I've just completed Starcraft Pop-Up 101. This information will be invaluable when I go to see it.

Really impressed with the repairs, wow. Good job on the perseverance, a great lesson for your kid too.

My daughter has a horse and we go to a lot of events, usually tent camp or stay in hotels nearby, both of which are getting old, and expensive. I go dirt bike riding, so the camper would be a great purchase for us (at least my daughter and I think so, wife not so much).

Again, thanks for taking the time to document everything! -Ed

Ps: And thanks to everyone else for taking the time to post up here on the forum, I've been studying pop-up campers for months now, getting close to pulling the trigger, can't wait.

Thanks for reading, it's nice to know that some of this effort is being useful to someone. A truck camper should be perfect for you as it seems to be for me. I can haul any combination of toys depending on what I need with little changeover time and still have a daily driver for work on Monday. I'm in the home stretch on getting this back to usable. The problem is that I'm sick of working on it so I have to force myself to keep on keeping on. Spring is getting here and the outside farm chores are getting ramp'd up so I need to put this one to bed soon.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on getting nice results on caulk? I'm using white silicone to go around all the outside penetrations and I'm less than impressed with my results. Also, I'm debating what sealant to use on the top edge trim between the trim and the roofing. Part of me wants to use dicore since it comes off easily but needs to be redone periodically. On the other hand silicone is more permanent but once you put it on it's difficult to touch up. Thoughts?

F451

Observer
Over 17,500 views on this thread, so rest assured, this thread is getting read! Most who are reading probably don't want to add too much fluff (like this post) to an otherwise very informative thread.

And yes, flexibility is a big factor in deciding on the pop-up camper, especially since I'll often be towing, either the 3 horse slant, or occasionally a 3 rail dirt bike trailer. Or, if just one dirt bike, I can use a hitch carrier for the bike. I also love the idea that I can store it in my garage if needed, otherwise I'm thinking it will be stored in the back yard. I love that it takes up just that much less room then a regular hard side camper.

And just last night it occurred to me that I'll want a way to get to the store to restock groceries when we are at horse events and I won't want to break camp. I may have to buy a little scooter like a Yamaha Zuma, or maybe get my kids DRZ125 plated for quick trips to the store. More toys. Yeah me!

That may mean getting a front hitch mount setup for the truck for when I'm towing the horse trailer if I want to bring a scooter or little dirt bike. I'm also going to go out and study our horse trailer, there is some room up front between the leading edge of the tack room and the tongue platform (for lack of a better term). I'm wondering if I can fit a rail crosswise there and secure the bike on it. I know it will fit and I think the trailer frame would be strong enough, just not sure how it will impact the turning radius of the truck/trailer combo. Would be adding weight to the tongue too, but I don't think it will significantly affect anything as its a three horse trailer but we only ever haul one horse in it (plus all the tack, supplies, hay, etc).

Lastly, I hear you on the getting sick of the project. The last 5% of any large project is always the toughest. Hang in there, you are so close!

Scoutman

Explorer
Wow, almost 2 months since I have posted an update. I guess I'm due for one huh? Well I busted tail for the good last push to get this thing weather proof again and finally out of my garage. Then guess what? WE WENT CAMPING!!!! :wings: It was really nice to get back out in this thing again instead of working on it. There are still a few things to finish up but I'll knock those out as time allows. Then there's the delam on the front pass overhang so at some point I'll have to dive back into repairs.

Lots of cleaning all around.
Finished all new white caulk lines and went back and re-did some that I didn't like.
New rear porch light now with LED's and also added a clear lens switched light to the side. It's currently zip tied to my fridge vent cause I wanted to try it out and see if that height was good or if I wanted it in a different spot. Glad I didn't mount it where I was going to (between the upper and lower vents) cause it would have been eye level and beyond blinding. Higher is better.
Redid the sealant around the 110v plug on the back wall and added a better quality plug cover.
Cleaned up all the latches and re-mounted.
Took off the cracked and faded Pine Mountain decals from the front nose. Not sure why they thought a decal was a good idea on textured aluminum.

So the final picts...
IMG_20140503_170128_071 (Large).jpg IMG_20140503_191103_091 (Large).jpg IMG_20140503_191052_649 (Large).jpg IMG_20140503_191036_422 (Large).jpg
IMG_20140503_191027_776 (Large).jpg IMG_20140503_191020_096 (Large).jpg IMG_20140503_191008_533 (Large).jpg IMG_20140503_190951_517 (Large).jpg
IMG_20140503_190938_013 (Large).jpg IMG_20140503_191117_134 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
IMG_20140503_191123_996 (Large).jpg

The pile of butyl tape that was trimmed off or removed and replaced over the duration of this project. This pile must have weighed 10#.
IMG_20140503_190918_785 (Large).jpg

IMG_20140504_082925_309 (Large).jpg

IMG_20140504_083016_736 (Large).jpg

And some ExPo and OJ flair. :sombrero:

IMG_20140503_190728_519 (Large).jpg IMG_20140503_190742_247 (Large).jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
Camping

So we took a short drive to a local spot to test out the camper with some friends of ours. Everything worked well and I have been driving it back and forth to work for a week now to see if there are any other changes to it. I've noticed that it handles a little better when I have ~50# in the bags but otherwise it behaves pretty nicely. I get a little feedback from the camper when I let off the go pedal and I'm not sure if its cause the weight shifts or the straps stretch.

I'm still in search of the perfect ladder arrangement to safely get in and out of this thing (kids included). Right now I use a folding aluminum platform that works ok.

The trailer is next on the project list. I am planning on redo-ing the tongue and getting the surge brake assembly gone which should level it out a bit. It hauls all the extra stuff that won't fit in the camper like firewood, bikes, cooker, storage bins, and fuel if needed.

Packed up and ready to go.
IMG_20140507_192835_489 (Large).jpg

Govt Mule attached and on duty.
IMG_20140509_165533_428 (Large).jpg

Pineapple upside down cake in the dutch oven. :chef:
IMG_20140510_191143_897 (Large).jpg

Some filet's and chicken on the grill.
IMG_20140510_191758_469 (Large).jpg

For some reason I always forget to take picts while in camp of the camper setup. We woke sunday to what we thought was rain (when there was no rain in the forcast) and come to find out that fog had settled on the mountain top and was condensing on the leaves of the trees overhead. That fell as 'rain' on us but not if you walked into the clearing just 20' away. It was the weirdest thing.
IMG_20140511_093831_834 (Large).jpg

Packed up and headed home.
IMG_20140511_100336_300 (Large).jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
It's nice to be using it and not always working on it.

So lately I've been using it trying to make up for lost time that I've spent working on it. Since that last local trip we took another trip there, went camping at the farm, did the Overland Expo East, and then hauled it all over the South for a round trip to Disney and back home. Covered a lot of miles with no major issues. Biggest issue was the fridge. It just wouldn't stay lit. I was constantly monitoring it and fighting the fridge game. I have a few more things to try before I completely give up and go to a cooler. I had placed a scrap piece of fiberglass on the lower vent to possibly keep the flame from blowing out. On highways and around town it seems to be fine but get it on the interstate and out it goes. I may try playing with more baffles and get the fan so that it can move air around the coils a little better. One thing I would like to have is an indicator light on the front wall of the camper so I can see it in my rear view mirror to tell me when the check light comes on (meaning the fridge is out). That would help too. Anyway, on to the picts...

Camping at Monte Sano SP
IMG_20140920_182253_644.jpg

My son's first fire with flint and steel from scratch.
IMG_20140920_182129_982.jpg

Yum...
IMG_20140920_204444_740.jpg

Just thought this was humorous.
IMG_20140921_104956_171.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
On our way to camping at the farm. This was another trip where once I was there and setup, I forgot to take any picts.

IMG_20140926_180942_967.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
The first Overland Expo East event just south of Asheville, NC. I wish I had allotted more time to get to enjoy more of the Expo. We showed up on Friday evening and had to leave out very early Sunday morning which only left us one day to skim over what was there. Since we had the kids with us most of our wandering consisted of looking at and going in various campers that were there. We did however get to see and spend a good bit of time talking to the folks at Four Wheel Camper and quickly became hooked on the quality of camper that they build. It was a completely different feel from our pop top. My wife is totally on board with the upgrade but now we have to figure out how to make the switch.

I'll post more picts later. The uploader stopped working for some reason.

bilco

Hi Scoutman,
Followed you thread throughout nice job. You mention the frigde blowing out I have always been under the impression that you shut down the propane when traveling. As a fire prevention.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger