scratch building a scrambler possibly

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
As I was reading the general outline I was thinking "I'd go with...." and then you named it. About the only thing for sure that I'd change is I'd use Bilstein or Fox remote reservoir dampers. Only one per tire, no need to get crazy.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
IDK how I missed this thread on a 8. Did you do any more planning or building? If not I'd use a Cummins 4BT for your Diesel power. I know a guy with a CJ-8, 4BT, NV4500 5 spd, Dana 300, 4" lift, 33's, full hardtop, fiberglass body, he pulls 30-34 mpg. He is big on the 4btswaps.com forum. Check it out.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Wait you still haven't finished the Taco and now you're going to build a Jeep????

If you're going to go the Aqualou route, why not the FJ45 or 43 with a 1UZ-Fe??? I say keep it Toyota mate. While the CJ8/6 and the last gen LJ were some of my favorite Jeeps ever, I'd still rather have a MWB FJ43 over ANY of them espescialy if I'm building it from scratch. Hell if you're going to find an old CJ and then build off that why not start with an FJ40 and then go from there???

Oddly enough, Petersen's is building this EXACT truck (a CJ8) in their current issues. Neat truck and thank go they're going with a Mopar powerplant, still I'd want a Diesel but that's no shocker is it ;)

Cheers

Dave

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I was lusting after a CJ8 myself until I realized that a 2004-2006 LJ is essentially the same thing with less rust and more cup holders and is therefore ideal for my mechanically unmotivated self. Of course I still do lust after a CJ8 but I'll be happy to do that vicariously so I wish you all the best!

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman