scratch prevention ideas

osidepunker

Adventurer
Regular vinyl wraps provide some protection, but they also make specific paint protection films too, like XPEL Ultimate and Suntek. These are thicker than the standard vinyl and some have "self healing" properties to fill in scratches on their own.

Another option is a something like Opticoat, which basically would be like adding a thicker, slicker clear coat. I have a similar sized truck and quotes were from $750-900 for Opticoat.

These two solutions, or some combination thereof, is what is typically used to keep scratches out of cars. They are both fairly expensive, so mostly you see people doing this stuff to sports cars and luxury cars to protect from road debris.

I believe opticoat is the "gel coat" that my friend was telling me about. He recommended 5 coats and said I could take a key to it and it wouldnt scratch. Zat true???

155mm

Adventurer
No, opticoat is a lot harder than clear coat paint, but you can still gouge a scratch in it with a key if you press hard. In terms of durability, I'd say Linex > paint protection film > Opticoat/Cquartz > vinyl > sealant > wax.

You already got the cost for the Linex, and the cost for a full XPEL wrap is probably 4-6k, Opticoat 750-1,000. Honestly I don't think it's worth it, when you can repaint your toyota for less than or equal the cost of the full wrap.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
awh hail....

this really wont help you any, but I live in Noth TX, and hail storms are pretty common. Every few years, we get one bad enough to necessitate repairs. Therefore, every few years, my truck gets a new paint job. bye bye trail scratches and dents.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I'd recommend XPEL paint protection film, it is much more durable than wrap vinyl. They offer three different grades of film so can save money if you aren't as worried about going for "Ultimate" clarity and self-healing scratch film. I would not recommend the DIY approach with PPF though.

osidepunker

Adventurer
After asking Goog about opticoat, it does not appear to be strong enough.

Repainting is not a viable long term option. My glass fenders only have one run (Sedona and Cinders) on them and the gel is already chipped down to the white. Pretty soon I will be down to the raw fiberglass.

someone talk me out of linex! lol

Going to read up on XPEL. thanks for all the help! keep the ideas flowing!

Scoutn79

Adventurer
If your worried about bouncing your truck off of rocks and trees a vinyl wrap is useless, Either change your driving habits or bite the bullet and put on a bed liner. I have friends that have used the two part professional stuff---not single stage DIY stuff--- and wheel the trucks pretty hard. You can still dent the underlying sheet-metal but rock chips, rubbing against a rock or tree branch usually doesn't affect them. You can damage anything if you try hard enough. Maybe use plate steel on the outside of your rig.

Darrell

anickode

Adventurer
I like the John Delorean approach to scratch prevention. If you DO manage to scratch it, you can fix it with a scotch-brite pad.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I'm interested in seeing what works out for you, I have a similar issue on my pathfinder where mudflaps would be ripped off, yet my rear flares are blasted with rock whenever I go wheeling. I would suggest the 3m wrap, but saw you're not a fan. The issue I have with a lot of wraps at the moment, is that the people who usually use them, and install them for that matter, own tuner cars, or trucks that never see a trail. So the wear characteristics off road are unknown. As far as a permanent solution, I remember a year or two back that Mopar actually made a Jeep concept with a hemi motor and 37" tires, but the important part was that they actually figured out a way to prevent the paint from really scratching. Supposedly they put on several clear coats, but there was some science behind it as well, I'd suggest looking into that, as I forgot the exact name.

I personally have Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher, and end up compounding->polishing->waxing whenever I go out and scratch it up, which equals to roughly the waxing schedule I should be on anyway. :Mechanic:

osidepunker

Adventurer
If your worried about bouncing your truck off of rocks and trees a vinyl wrap is useless, Either change your driving habits or bite the bullet and put on a bed liner. I have friends that have used the two part professional stuff---not single stage DIY stuff--- and wheel the trucks pretty hard. You can still dent the underlying sheet-metal but rock chips, rubbing against a rock or tree branch usually doesn't affect them. You can damage anything if you try hard enough. Maybe use plate steel on the outside of your rig.

Darrell

Im not changing my driving habits. I have a large, fast truck and paint protection is necessary. Linex is currently my first choice, but I am turned off by weight and cost. Plate steel would be too heavy duh. Im just asking here in case there are better solutions that I have yet to consider.

I'm interested in seeing what works out for you, I have a similar issue on my pathfinder where mudflaps would be ripped off, yet my rear flares are blasted with rock whenever I go wheeling. I would suggest the 3m wrap, but saw you're not a fan. The issue I have with a lot of wraps at the moment, is that the people who usually use them, and install them for that matter, own tuner cars, or trucks that never see a trail. So the wear characteristics off road are unknown. As far as a permanent solution, I remember a year or two back that Mopar actually made a Jeep concept with a hemi motor and 37" tires, but the important part was that they actually figured out a way to prevent the paint from really scratching. Supposedly they put on several clear coats, but there was some science behind it as well, I'd suggest looking into that, as I forgot the exact name.

I personally have Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher, and end up compounding->polishing->waxing whenever I go out and scratch it up, which equals to roughly the waxing schedule I should be on anyway. :Mechanic:

I think the 3m would work for most situations, but not for rock chips. I have already seen it in action on my own vehicle and it wont stand up.

Again, I can fix desert pinstripes with wax/buffing. That isnt my issue. There are several spots, particularly on the bedsides, where the paint is chipped all the way through.

*sigh*... sounds like Linex is really the only option here

Brewtus

Adventurer
As an alternative, I saw on a FJ forum that there was a company called magnashields that made thin sheet rubberized magnets (like huge refrigerator magnets) specifically for this application. You stick these to the vehicle like the polyethylene and vinyl wraps, but the nice part is that you could re-use them after you take them off. But apparently they didn't stick on all the time and were hard to put on in cold weather. According to someone at Magnashields, so long as you washed your vehicle before hand, applied them in warm weather, and taped the edges, they worked great.

On a similar note, some FJ guys talked about using "clear contact paper" as a temporary poor man's vinyl wrap. Looks kind of like the stuff you'd find stuck to a new phone; just a static cling no adhesive. Something like $20 worth of the stuff would cover a rig for a single outing. Not as durable as the permanent options, but much cheaper.

I'm in the process of trying to buy a new-to-me rig. A 95 Dodge Ram. All these 2nd gen Dodges are known for the paint fading and oxidizing. This one appears to have gotten it the worst. So if I do manage to get the guy to respond to my Emails/Texts/Calls, and I go pick it up, it will need a new paint job. My current 94 Dodge Ram has got all sorts of desert pinstripes and they don't bother me too much, but that's largely because the truck is black and it's the original paint job.

With this new one however, I plan on painting it metallic candy red to match my bike:

WP_20140514_002_zpssib7kzrk.jpg

Seeing as I'll be painting the truck, I have the opportunity to put tough paint on. Right now, I'm looking at a DP-40 Epoxy Primer and DuPont Imron Base and Clear.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know of an even tougher clear coat? I've been looking for the Jeep that Allof75 mentioned, but haven't managed to find it yet.

Whatever I end up with for paint, I think I'll be looking to make up some custom magna-shields. I've been thinking about getting some vinyl graphics like the Raptor splash, or something of the like. Perhaps I could put it on the magnet material, then I'd only have the graphics when off-road.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have not read the whole thread so someone my have already mentioned this. Lots of guys who drive Porsches and other high-end cars, especially those who use the cars for track days, have a clear film applied to the nose or front end of the car to protect against rock chips. Probably similar to headlight films and the ones that are done right are not noticeable until you get real close. A friend had the film on his 911 and it seemed to hold up real well. Can be easily replaced when damaged. Check with some tuner shops or window tint shops. I think this stuff is heavier than the typical wrap.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I can't believe I am reading this here. I look at it this way I own two types of guns field guns and nice guns. the field guns I keep clean and oiled but don't worry about scratches. my nice guns I don't take out in the field. sure I shoot them but don't bust brush with them. if you want to use your truck as a truck don't worry about the scratches. if you want a show truck, buy an old beater to take out in the field. I bet for the cost of some of those things that have been discussed here you could buy an old beater. highdesertranger

summerprophet

Adventurer
I am turned off by weight and cost. Im just asking here in case there are better solutions that I have yet to consider.
*sigh*... sounds like Linex is really the only option here

Have you looked into monstaliner? 1/4 the price, but you have to do in all youself. Also, not as textured as linex, so likely not as much of am mpg hit. Also available in 40 or so colors.

The only significant problem with bed liner is if you ever want to sell it. Bedlined vehicles are tough to sell, and take a significant hit in sale price.

I looked into everything available as I am redoing my bumpers and rockslides after rust got underneath the powder coating. Lots of research and monstaliner (for me) came out on top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle