SE Colorado - Bents New Fort and Amache

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Felt the itch to get out and explore today so I made way out to SE Colorado to check out the site of Bents New Fort (quite different than the old Fort site) and out to the Granada Relocation Center (Amache) National Historic Landmark which is an old WWII Japanese encampment I just recently heard/learned about. Made two other minor stops along the way to check out an old school off the side of the road and out to a random boat ramp (might have some problems launching a boat) for the John Martin Reservoir.

Random old house out by the reservoir.

There might be a slight problem with trying to launch your boat from here.

Lake in the background.

Bent's New Fort

Old school off the side of the road.

Last edited:

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Thanks for sharing the tip! Great pictures. It's nuts and sad what kind of stuff we did to our neighbors in the name of insurance and 'safety'.
On the reservoir, I wonder how long it's been that low. I've seen Lake Travis in Austin, TX go down 40 feet over like ten years, just to rise back up in 2 years.

DieselRanger

Great post on a part of Colorado most people don't know about or even associate with Colorado. If you haven't made it out to Picketwire / Purgatoire Canyon area yet, that's a great day-long diversion / weekend dark-sky getaway from the Front Range cities also. Longest dinosaur tracksite in North America. The family and I went out there in late March 2020 after the first few weeks of lockdown - paleontologists were still excavating new dinosaur tracks. Bring a bike as driving in the canyon is only allowed on reserved guided tours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12