seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
I'm glad the differential woes are in the past as well... should have been done with this a month ago- but you live and you learn.

Any <$600 winches that aren't junk? For brand new, that may just leave Smittybuilt- I seem to hear equally good and bad things about them. Going to keep an eye out locally and see if there are any deals to be found on a used winch. I'd like something with synthetic line... Need a winch before I start building my bumper around Christmas.

I think I'm going to cut the CB radio idea for now... truth be told I think I'd be just as well off with a set of walkie talkies.

dyogim

Explorer
I'm glad the differential woes are in the past as well... should have been done with this a month ago- but you live and you learn.

Any <$600 winches that aren't junk? For brand new, that may just leave Smittybuilt- I seem to hear equally good and bad things about them. Going to keep an eye out locally and see if there are any deals to be found on a used winch. I'd like something with synthetic line... Need a winch before I start building my bumper around Christmas.

I think I'm going to cut the CB radio idea for now... truth be told I think I'd be just as well off with a set of walkie talkies.

I have a smitty XRC10. For all it's intended purposes, it fits my needs and budget. I'll get a synthetic line someday but, it's not on my priority list. As far as a CB vs 2-Way. I run both on the trail. For the CB, again for my intended purposes, I purchased the Midland 75-822 handheld. Just need to mount the connector somewhere. The firstick antenna is mounted to my front pre-runner bumper.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Going up to the family farm in Idaho for Christmas where I have access to a massive heated shop and some tools I don't have at home- like a plasma cutter. Been doing a ton of research and I'm going to make both a front and rear bumper and a full set of skids.

The truck is going to be fully armored with better approach and departure angles pretty quick here.
I'm definitely interested in how you setup the rear bumper. I'm getting together ideas for when I have time to build one. I've tossed around the idea of enclosing the front bumper also. Any plans for a swing out? Cutting the bed?

rickashay

Explorer
Wow dude, those switches turned out great! So clean up there!

Damn, I wish my compressor would fit where you put yours... looks meant to be!

seanpistol

Explorer
I have a smitty XRC10. For all it's intended purposes, it fits my needs and budget. I'll get a synthetic line someday but, it's not on my priority list.

This Smittybilt XRC 9,500 lb winch with synthetic line is $450... fits the budget, but I'm afraid of getting what I paid for. Think I'd be better off with a rebuilt, used Warn and adding a synthetic line? Even if it costs a little more?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...V45dgV8JLd_gU1ptS-9I7tginpIuL7AyA0aAgZo8P8HAQ

That's funny. Maybe it's all that torque from the V8 that makes it feel like a spaceship.
Could be, but it still doesn't have nearly as much torque as my naturally aspirated 7.3L diesel- that was slower than a herd of snails traveling through peanut butter. :xxrotflma

I'm definitely interested in how you setup the rear bumper. I'm getting together ideas for when I have time to build one. I've tossed around the idea of enclosing the front bumper also. Any plans for a swing out? Cutting the bed?

I'm planning on making it about 6" tall with an integrated receiver, bedside protection and a few recovery points. I should be able to get at least 8" of clearance over stock and after I trim the quarter panel, the departure angle will be significantly improved. I've thought about a swing out, but I throw a 10' long snowmobile in the bed all winter long because I hate trailering and finding parking spots at busy trailheads. A 285 will fit under the truck- granted it will look goofy with the high clearance bumper. But, I can throw it in the bed and strap it down if I'm wheeling and want the clearance.

What I'm going to do with the bed is real up in the air. I'm planning a trip down Baja with some friends in the summer/fall and don't know how I want to set the truck up for camping/sleeping. I have some metal laying around that I could easily make a bed rack out of to mount a RTT. I could mount my spare underneath it, above the line of the bed. A roll-n-lock type tonneau would be nice to keep things in the bed secure- I have been keeping my eye out on Craigslist for one but nothing has come up yet. It'd work well for rolling up to load my snowmobile, and then rolling it down and locking it when I don't have the sled in the truck.

Another option, and probably less expensive is to get another camper shell. If I went this route, a swingout would be really nice. It'd be fun and easy to make a table on some cables that could fold down from being stowed behind the tire. Mount a hi-lift on there, things like that. I'm also always thinking about 35s... since a 315 wouldn't fit under the truck, it would either need to be in the bed all the time or on a swingout. I'll make sure the bumper I build has enough room to a swingout later.

Anyway, I was debating buying a tube bender for bedside protection and "wings" on the front bumper, but they aren't cheap. Everything will likely end up being plate. Our bumpers don't go all the way up to the lights like the new Tacos, so my bedside protection will be level with the back. But along these lines is what I've been brainstorming-

eda9e8y9.jpg

9ezy4e7a.jpg

2e2a8yne.jpg

Wow dude, those switches turned out great! So clean up there!

Damn, I wish my compressor would fit where you put yours... looks meant to be!

Thank you! Here's a photo from the side-

Derek24 mounted the same compressor straight against the firewall with self tapping screws because he had a second battery in that spot.

Last edited:

soonenough

Explorer
As far as a CB vs 2-Way. I run both on the trail. For the CB, again for my intended purposes, I purchased the Midland 75-822 handheld. Just need to mount the connector somewhere. The firstick antenna is mounted to my front pre-runner bumper.
x2, I've found the Midland 75-822 to be more than sufficient for basic CB use. It does NOAA weather channels and takes up basically no space in the cab since the handheld mic is the entire radio.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have a XRC 8k winch with steel cable for $299 a few years back and it still works. Used it over a Dozen times. It does sound louder than when it was new or it could just be normal and I not used to the noise since I haven't need to use it much lately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dyogim

Explorer
A 35x1250x15 tire will fit in the stock spare location. That's where mine is. Got tired of figuring out how to mount/secure it in the bed. However, I do want a swing out specific for a couple of gas cans and hi-lift. I'll get a pic later today with my high clearence wrap around bumper to give you an idea of how it looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater